Trump signs order to eliminate ACA insurance rules, undermine marketplaces

Damn, I know you can have a plan that cheap through your employer depending on what percentage they cover, but for a plan you buy yourself that's the cheapest I've ever heard of.

Most likely had a very high deductible and covered very little.

why didnt you use this rebuttal when poor people wanted obamacare
Because he's taking the piss out of you for supporting a guy who detests not only the poor but anyone who isn't rich.

Lol, my Dad and Grandpa are still alive.

I'm buying my fathers company. I'm not inheriting shit.

So your dad turned the business over to you and is making you pay a portion of the profits back to him. What is the difference?

why didnt you use this rebuttal when poor people wanted obamacare
Not so much a rebuttal, just an observation.

But it's ok because I support your right to universal healthcare bro.

Fuck the kids, right, Trump?

Gotta be "tough"; tough on those damn kids and their mangy dog.

Insurance is still expensive as fuck. I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination and health insurance is my second largest monthly bill.

Legitimate insurance coverage is insanely expensive for the majority. The ACA was a shitshow from day one. And anybody with even a modicum of understanding knew that it would do nothing to control the costs of either insurers or providers.

But it is true that prior to the ACA it was possible to "roll the dice" and buy plans with ridiculously expensive deductibles and pay fairly low premiums. Such plans existed, essentially, to potentially save people from total bankruptcy in the event they actually suffered any sort of significant injury or illness.

So much spin on this here.

It's actually great news for consumers. It allows people to gather into groups to purchase insurance. This was already legal, however was limited in scope. This EO broadens the range so that the groups aren't limited. For instance, health conscience people from across the nation could group together, and purchase insurance. Because they are a large group of health conscience people, they're likely to get a good deal on their insurance. Also, these don't need to follow the ridiculous regulations of the exchanges, so for instance, men will no longer have to pay for coverage they do need because they lack a vagina. At least the conservatives...

LOL at undermine the marketplace. First off, it was doing a great job of failing on its own. The premiums are ridiculous, and the deductible is so high it's not worth using anyway.

Too bad Obama was not Pro Cancer, Trump would immediately try and find a cure.

Here's something I don't really understand about Obamacare. The elderly have Medicare, children have medicaid, I'm not sure if people with disabilities are eligible for those programs, or if there is a special program for them.

But given that those groups were already covered, who was Obamacare for, non-disabled working age adults?

This is obviously an inflammatory topic, but it's a serious question, who are the millions who didn't have health insurance previously who now get it paid for, just non-disabled working age adults?

Imagine roofer is 35 and works his ass off. Makes about $45k/year. Can’t get insurance at any price because he is self-employed and had minor skin cancer when he was 25 but it was successfully treated with no relapses in 10 years. He can’t get insurance though because of the pre-existing condition. He benefits from ObamaCare because although he would not qualify for subsidy he would be able to buy insurance because of the change in laws regarding pre-existing conditions.

Too bad Obama was not Pro Cancer, Trump would immediately try and find a cure.

More like he would tell congress to find a cure and when they could not he would endorse Homeopathy as a solution.

So much spin on this here.

It's actually great news for consumers. It allows people to gather into groups to purchase insurance. This was already legal, however was limited in scope. This EO broadens the range so that the groups aren't limited. For instance, health conscience people from across the nation could group together, and purchase insurance. Because they are a large group of health conscience people, they're likely to get a good deal on their insurance. Also, these don't need to follow the ridiculous regulations of the exchanges, so for instance, men will no longer have to pay for coverage they do need because they lack a vagina. At least the conservatives...

LOL at undermine the marketplace. First off, it was doing a great job of failing on its own. The premiums are ridiculous, and the deductible is so high it's not worth using anyway.

I don’t think it goes as broadly as you suggest. My reading is, for example, that small companies banding together would need to still be in the same industry. I do, however agree that this is a good idea and as a business owner something wanted before being big enough to have some leverage in the group market.

Imagine roofer is 35 and works his ass off. Makes about $45k/year. Can’t get insurance at any price because he is self-employed and had minor skin cancer when he was 25 but it was successfully treated with no relapses in 10 years. He can’t get insurance though because of the pre-existing condition. He benefits from ObamaCare because although he would not qualify for subsidy he would be able to buy insurance because of the change in laws regarding pre-existing conditions.
But isn't there a better way to fix that problem than to force every American to give their money to a private business?

Good.

Obamacare nearly lead to the ruin of my family.

My excellent insurance plan was canceled for not being "Affordable Care Act compliant". This happened right as my daughter fell very ill.

Real people have been hurt by Obamacare, and the ONLY person to do anything about it is President Trump!

Why was it not compatible? Will you get your old plan back once Trump gets rid of ACA?

But isn't there a better way to fix that problem than to force every American to give their money to a private business?

Perhaps, but Congress and especially Republicans actively opposed legislation on pre-existing conditions for years and never thought it was a good idea until it was in Obamacare and now they support it and have promised to guarantee protections for pre-existing conditions even if they repeal Obamacare.

Obamacare was originally meant to be a compromise between private market and universal healthcare. Mandate was done to appease insurance companies and get them to sign on.

Perhaps, but Congress and especially Republicans actively opposed legislation on pre-existing conditions for years and never thought it was a good idea until it was in Obamacare and now they support it and have promised to guarantee protections for pre-existing conditions even if they repeal Obamacare.

Obamacare was originally meant to be a compromise between private market and universal healthcare. Mandate was done to appease insurance companies and get them to sign on.

The mandate was more then that. The mandate was/is needed to compel younger, healthier people to buy insurance to spread the overall costs out. Which is how insurance works in the first place.

So your dad turned the business over to you and is making you pay a portion of the profits back to him. What is the difference?

The difference between inheriting a business and having the business turned over to you while paying back part of the profits is the paying part.

The mandate was more then that. The mandate was/is needed to compel younger, healthier people to buy insurance to spread the overall costs out. Which is how insurance works in the first place.

Exactly. The mandate exists because outside of government compulsion, there is no reason for most young people to buy into this system. That's quite a market, and it is being undermined simply by allowing more choices.

Back