Trump tweets support of congressional term limits

Scheme

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score

Good to see Trump sticking up for one his more important campaign promises. Congressional term limits are just as necessary as presidential term limits. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, especially given enough time to manifest. While this isn't the solution to corruption it certainly is a step in the right direction.

I agree with term limits.

Shit, I actually agree with him this time.

1. Maximum three terms
2. Ban corporate donations
3. Lower limit for individual donation to $2,000, subjected to increase in accordance with official inflation rate
4. Must disclose immediate family member's place of employment (to avoid being hired as "consultants" for corporations)

I think campaign finance reform is more important than term limits right now.

I agree with the Orange Snowflake on this one.

So in four terms no one is going to know what the fuck they are doing

Double edged sword and not to be approached brashly imo

On the one hand it can be quite noble to dedicate one's life to civil service, on the other hand it is even easier to be stuck in the same bureaucratic position and lord it over the civil society.

Term limits requires political thought and energy, dedicated and valuable civil servants have to keep their plans and promises, and that is generally good for a republic.

Four terms is enough for the House, two for the Senate, ECT.

There should also probably be term limits for the Supreme Court, (10 years ought to do it) but good luck on that one.

That's my concern. The "professional politician" is a detestable label, but like any job, it helps to have people that know what's going on. If you have a big turnover and all of a sudden nobody even knows parliamentary procedure, that's gonna gum up the works. I'd prefer more stringent campaign finance reform as a dissuasion to the career politician type (making public service more y'know, service like) and to limit the influence of lobbyists on lawmaking.

trump is god tier. literally doing everything he said he would do.

American culture and government is not typically supposed to be based on an elite group of Technocratic thinkers and professionals who rule by dictum.

Ours is supposed to be one of citizen government that is innovative, educated, and adaptive to the real world.

I agree and I think most people on both sides will also, now get money out of politics

American culture and government is not typically supposed to be based on an elite group of Technocratic thinkers and professionals who rule by dictum.

Ours is supposed to be one of citizen government that is innovative, educated, and adaptive to the real world.
Sign me up to this fantasy world!!

Well, this is something we should all agree with tbh.

Good on Trump.

Sign me up to this fantasy world!!

I see... well, I am fresh out of quips today, so please explain your thesis and then I can elaborate on the cultural, political, bureaucratic, and ethical reasons for mine.

That's my concern. The "professional politician" is a detestable label, but like any job, it helps to have people that know what's going on. If you have a big turnover and all of a sudden nobody even knows parliamentary procedure, that's gonna gum up the works. I'd prefer more stringent campaign finance reform as a dissuasion to the career politician type (making public service more y'know, service like) and to limit the influence of lobbyists on lawmaking.

This would be one of the biggest powershifts to lobbyists that could happen. The ones with experience and know how would solely be the lobbyists/staffers and the congressman would rely on them to a huge extent.

Yet another terrible idea that sounds good at surface level.

LOL Good luck with that. Just like congress exempts themselves from insider trading, sexual harassment and many other laws they will never do anything against their interest such as public finance of campaigns or term limits. Trump may as well said he's for Peace on Earth.

This single act would be the most important policy implemented in Washington with regard to actually fixing our political system in most of our lifetimes.

If he pulled it off, and there’s almost zero chance it happens, he would be the goat modern president.

Years ago, I read a piece in the economist that discussed two places that had term limits. One was a state, the other was a country:

State - The freshman class that entered the state house had no idea what they were doing and how to get things done. I mean true Civics 101 type of issues.

Country - Since you know you are there for such a finite time, politicians don't "think big". Rather, they go around dedicating parks. Why try to balance a budget or improve schools if those things can get messy? Oh, look a parade....anyone need me to stand on a float?

Shit, I actually agree with him this time.

1. Maximum three terms
2. Ban corporate donations
3. Lower limit for individual donation to $2,000, subjected to increase in accordance with official inflation rate
4. Must disclose immediate family member's place of employment (to avoid being hired as "consultants" for corporations)

Cheers to all this, especially the no corprarste donations, all donations come from the max of 2k (or whatever value chosen) per person

Really helps even the influence at least somewhat from the average joe to the deep pockets heavy hitters wanting to influence the country for their own gain

Someone would actually need a mass of support, and good enough support for people to donate to, to run a country wide campaign

Not just someone making 500k+ speaking donations for big banks at fundraising dinners

trump is god tier. literally doing everything he said he would do.

Well, this does not mean that he's actually going to try to implement this now does it? How about that wall being built? How about the repeal of Obamacare? How about balancing the budget? How about locking Hillary Clinton up? How about increasing taxes on hedge fund managers? How's he at all "literally" doing everything that he said he would?

Back