Tucking chin as a choke defense?

sixfifteen

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
When I roll with other white belts I find I can shut down most choke attacks by simply tucking my chin and then using that added time to work for a better position, escape etc. It has occurred to me though, that this might be woefully ineffective against more highly skilled opponents. There's only one blue belt at our gym, besides the instructor, so I can't really go and 'field test' this tactic and I am now turning to the inestimable wisdom that is Sherdog for help. In other words, is a good chin tuck something that can reliably defend or at forestall a choke against a more skilled grappler?

Thanks,

having your chin tucked in, basically touching your chest
is always a good way to defend yourself against chokes

It's smarter than leaving your neck wide open, but it's not smart unless you're doing something else. Hand fighting, moving, clearing hooks, whatever. But tucking the chin is stupid, if it's the only thing you do. people will crush your case, cause dental work, or if they know some technique, you can choke someone's arteries through the chin tuck. Braulio Estima is very good at that. But yeah, tucking the chin is good for RNCs and collar chokes from the back and the mount, as long as you're moving and doing other things, but it won't save you by itself. As far as various leg and arm triangles, tucking your chin won't really do much of anything.

I always keep my chin tucked and use one hand on the wrist whilst trying to turn out of the back take.

as much as people dismiss this defense, yes tucking your chin is the first AND most important line of defense (at least for RNC). It will buy you time and it will allow you to keep hand fighting and looking for an escape. Now, if you are hoping that it will stop chokes alone from good grapplers, then you are wrong.

I concur with everyone here. A chin tuck by itself will by you some time. You need to be hand fighting and clearing a path for escape.

It's like tucking your chin to defend yourself from a punch, tbh. Not doing it is stupid, as is thinking it's a proper defense.

try defending a gi choke with your jaw in a competition and see what happens. lol

that'll surely get you neck cranked ...:icon_lol:

06afd02c238175241359b28a92a3f9f9.jpg

Learn how to turn into a choke rather than away.

I would make you spit out your teeth like chiclets if you tucked your chin with me. I can't stand that.

As stated above, it's a basic component of defending chokes, but done without anything accompanying it, it's merely a stall.

So it sounds like general consensus for choke is:
Step 1-Tuck Chin
Step 2-There better be a defensive Step 2 otherwise Step 2 is tap and lose, or spit teeth.

An easier way of looking at it is tucking your chin isn't a choke defense; it's something you should do automatically (and to the correct side) to buy you a little time for whatever your actual choke defense is.

Both your chin and neck are vulnerable to submissions. But your chin is less vulnerable, so it makes sense to tuck it.

It's absolutely true that a fully locked RNC can choke you through your chin and break your jaw. But at least you are forcing your opponent to get the choke completely locked. If you leave your neck exposed, a competent grappler can finish you with only one arm. At minimum, tucking your chin forces your opponent to apply the submission with both arms.

So... tuck your chin, but know that you'll still have to tap to strong chokes.

Braulio's RNC finish on his website is really interesting. He doesn't go for a crank at all, he just locks the mata le

th

I just noticed someone beat me to the punch.... Dang it!!

Pretty simple counter to tucking the chin is to use a free hand and place it on their fore head and pull up. I find it creates just enough space to slide my wrist under their chin

Last edited:
all these responses, but no one mentions bring your shoulders up as well, or chin to shoulder not just down to chest.....the human body has many moving parts, use your body as a whole weapon.

This covers a lot of stuff others do not think about, though I should have mentioned how often getting the hands seperated, you get your shoulder blades to mat and twist in.....that still works and is most effective often. You dont got to watch my vid, but thought op might like about shoulder up etc.

Back