Tucking chin as a choke defense?

im pretty sure shields just tapped foster with an rnc on the jaw. ive definitely felt guys squeeze hard enough that i was concerned for my jaw being damaged.

A gi choke will cut through your jaw like cheese wire, a RNC is a different thing.

Off the top of my head, Holdsworth vs Grant

tuf18-holdsworth-grant.jpg

If I text my instructor I know he has dozens of clips of guys finishing over the chin/mouth

im not saying YOU CANT, what im saying is that you wont stop anyone by trying to break his teeth (in a comeptitive fight or SD) if you really wanna accomplish that, you ahve to choke higher than a RNC on the jaw... YOU CAN (as I said before) choke people out even with throght the chin, I do it all the time, its all about how you apply pressure. Also, a RNC on jaw is more of a facecrank than anything, Shinya aoki done it quite a few times.

I may have not expressed my sefl all that well so you guys are not understanding what I mean.

No, I don't fight my teammates personally. I also don't assume I can beat somebody up, who literally just made me submit.

so I guess everyone that has ever submitted you has never submitt to you right? see my point?

No, I don't fight my teammates personally. I also don't assume I can beat somebody up, who literally just made me submit.

well, Im pretty sure you classmate isnt trying to break your teeth either right?

I'm pretty sure it would break bones. At least it would dislocate the jaw.

In MMA, it would probably be more efficient to just do damage with punches instead.

a facecrank could break a jaw, I agree, wasnt thinking about the jaw.

We agree taht in mma hitting is better than trying to facecrank people, in mma tucking the chin is N

a facecrank could break a jaw, I agree, wasnt thinking about the jaw.

We agree taht in mma hitting is better than trying to facecrank people, in mma tucking the chin is N

so you would facechoke your bjj classmate in class and make him spit his teeth? If I was your classmate, I would tap, get up and beat the living shit out of you for .

I would say is way more important to learn how to choke properly than worrying about the other person tucking his chin, because after all, hes doing the right defense.

Chin tucking is not the right defense.
It is an option but it just buy you a few seconds before getting choke on the mouth.

Now in some gyms, they think it is a douchebag move and will get upset if you do it.

But the problem is that they all became chin tuckered without realising that they no longer know how to defend it properly.

It is like saying it is not correct to wrist lock or bicep slicing someone while defending an arm bar.

I choked a chin tucker so hard that I had his teeth marks on my forearm. Rnc during nogi. Mind you you he was a seasoned blue belt and not a newbie. He got upset about but he will not tap!

No chin tucker in my club. Learn how gi defend correctly or get chocked on the mouth and just tap.

Been said, but:

Tucking your chin is part of (almost) any good choke defense.
It's good "posture" when someone can threaten the choke (from the back, front side, etc. [e.g. tucking your chin in guillotine-ripe positions is also important]).

All it does is by you time (progressively less as opponents get better) so use that time to execute an escape/transition.

So keep doing what you're doing. I'd say don't get cocky about the defense, but you're obviously not.

Re: 'face choke':
People can choke your teeth/jaw, yes. But you still have more time to escape than if they were choking your neck.
So it's still a part of good posture and an important part of defense. It's just not a standalone defense. But he's also a beginner and has enough big things to worry about. As long as he's working to escape/transition and not stalling it's all good.

Last edited:
Been said, but:

Tucking your chin is part of (almost) any good choke defense.
It's good "posture" when someone can threaten the choke (from the back, front side, etc. [e.g. tucking your chin in guillotine-ripe positions is also important]).

All it does is by you time (progressively less as opponents get better) so use that time to execute an escape/transition.

So keep doing what you're doing. I'd say don't get cocky about the defense, but you're obviously not.

@BJJRage:
People can choke your teeth/jaw, yes. But you still have more time to escape than if they were choking your neck.
So it's still a part of good posture and an important part of defense. It's just not a standalone defense. But he's also a beginner and has enough big things to worry about. As long as he's working to escape/transition and not stalling it's all good.

100% agree, all im.saying tucking.your.chin.is the first thing.you should.do, first.line of.defense,.it.will.buy.you.some.time so.you can.work.an escape, thats all... if.you dont.tuck.your.chin inmediatwly.you are.giving.up.the.neck...

you dont see many fighters getting facelocked for the same reason you dont see many fighters getting rnced either; most fighters in a top organization are very good at defending neck attacks, and the gloves make it even harder.

you dont see many RNCs because as you said, people has gotten pretty good at defending, and chin tucking in part of all defenses.

also the gloves for sure make things way harder.

Chin tucking is not the right defense.
It is an option but it just buy you a few seconds before getting choke on the mouth.

Now in some gyms, they think it is a douchebag move and will get upset if you do it.

But the problem is that they all became chin tuckered without realising that they no longer know how to defend it properly.

It is like saying it is not correct to wrist lock or bicep slicing someone while defending an arm bar.

I choked a chin tucker so hard that I had his teeth marks on my forearm. Rnc during nogi. Mind you you he was a seasoned blue belt and not a newbie. He got upset about but he will not tap!

No chin tucker in my club. Learn how gi defend correctly or get chocked on the mouth and just tap.

seems you are talking about gi, Im talking only no gi.

anyways, I have a hard time believing anyone including you is not tucking his chin as son as he feels a hand trying to slide through your throat.

may be is just me, but I love RNCs, its my main weapon, from my pesonal point of view, is the most relialable choke in any situation, that includes SD, and im pretty sure in a fight vs someone bigger, a RNC on the mouth is not going to stop the other dude, and it may or may not in a MMA fight, hell even in grppling tournaments, so I try to get the choke as clean as possible, so I dont choke people on the mouth... but hey, thats just me...

seems you are talking about gi, Im talking only no gi.

anyways, I have a hard time believing anyone including you is not tucking his chin as son as he feels a hand trying to slide through your throat.

may be is just me, but I love RNCs, its my main weapon, from my pesonal point of view, is the most relialable choke in any situation, that includes SD, and im pretty sure in a fight vs someone bigger, a RNC on the mouth is not going to stop the other dude, and it may or may not in a MMA fight, hell even in grppling tournaments, so I try to get the choke as clean as possible, so I dont choke people on the mouth... but hey, thats just me...

Read again the example I used. It was a nogi rnc choke where I crank so hard that his mouth opened and I had his teeth marks on my forearm. His gum was bleeding but he did not want to tap but was upset that I would do such thing to a training partner.

Also tucking your chin is incorrect to response.

Keeping your hands up is the correct way IMO.

Your hands should do the X, home alone or the praying hands.

Otherwise you fucked up long time like what Kurt said on his video on back escape.

Read again the example I used. It was a nogi rnc choke where I crank so hard that his mouth opened and I had his teeth marks on my forearm. His gum was bleeding but he did not want to tap but was upset that I would do such thing to a training partner.

Otherwise you fucked up long time like what Kurt said on his video on back escape.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree...

You know I really respect your opinion, I just dont agree 100% with you.

Hands fighting is way more important than making an X, making an X will not stop me to cut through your defense, now making an X, shoulders up, chin down, is a whole another story. Also, making an X is not always possible, since a back take could come from turtle position, where your opponent could be already controlling your far arm as he turns you, he will end up with one hand controlling the arm thats overhooking one of his arms, and one arm treating the choke, in that stance (which is farly commun) you cant make an X. In a MMA setting making an X will be a little bit more efficient, since the gloves make the sliding through motion much harder.

Again, you can facecrank people with a RNC on the face, but I rather take my chances defending a RNC to the face than giving up the neck.

Actually the first thing Kurt says on his video is that you need to keep your chin tucked and glued to your chest all the time.

Tucking your chin is without any doubt part of defending chokes from the back. Obviously you also need to fight hands and escape the position.

I tapped to a RNC across the face in my very first competition in the absolute division. Trust me when some 6'6 guy who weighs 100kg/220lbs + makes your jaw pop, you're gonna tap. The inside of my mouth was busted up for a week where my teeth had dug in and ripped up my skin too. Not fun.

Tucking your chin isn't incorrect, it's just insufficient.

Otherwise you're saying to keep your hands up while exposing your neck. Getting choked over the chin or face is bad, but giving up the real estate underneath your jawline is worse, as it not only puts you out quickly, but it's a pocket of inside space that you won't get your opponent out of once he settles into it. A choke over the face can slip off; a deep choke on the neck is held in place by your chin.

Tucking your chin isn't incorrect, it's just insufficient.

Otherwise you're saying to keep your hands up while exposing your neck. Getting choked over the chin or face is bad, but giving up the real estate underneath your jawline is worse, as it not only puts you out quickly, but it's a pocket of inside space that you won't get your opponent out of once he settles into it. A choke over the face can slip off; a deep choke on the neck is held in place by your chin.

exactly.

Back