Tucking chin as a choke defense?

Tucking your chin isn't incorrect, it's just insufficient.

Otherwise you're saying to keep your hands up while exposing your neck. Getting choked over the chin or face is bad, but giving up the real estate underneath your jawline is worse, as it not only puts you out quickly, but it's a pocket of inside space that you won't get your opponent out of once he settles into it. A choke over the face can slip off; a deep choke on the neck is held in place by your chin.

Well put.

I'm surprised at how mad guys are over chin tucking. It's not that much different from s-gripping your hands to defend an arm bar. It's not 100% but it will buy you a moment to try something else.

Like I said before, tuck chin, raise shoulders, and grip fight. I don't get why that's a n issue if it's pretty basic defense.

Well put.

I'm surprised at how mad guys are over chin tucking. It's not that much different from s-gripping your hands to defend an arm bar. It's not 100% but it will buy you a moment to try something else.

Like I said before, tuck chin, raise shoulders, and grip fight. I don't get why that's a n issue if it's pretty basic defense.

I don't get mad over a chin tuck. It is normal.

A lot of people get mad at me though for choking through it anyway. It seems there is a significant population out there that likes to use the chin tuck as a get out of jail free card. I don't care for that, and I get all the dirty looks that come along with it.

A lot of people get mad at me though for choking through it anyway. It seems there is a significant population out there that likes to use the chin tuck as a get out of jail free card. I don't care for that, and I get all the dirty looks that come along with it.

I think its more of crushing your teammates jaw is considered a dick move. I understand your predicament though. If the guy refuses to yield even a little bit and is idiot that as his sole defense what are you supposed to do?

I don't understand people getting pissed at the face chokes. There's a few guys at my gym that do that to me. The other day one face choked and neck cranked me from the back. Was I mad at him? Nah. I let him get to my back and he went for it. I gotta tap and do better about not letting him get to my back.

My opinion the last year or so has been that I don't care what "jerk" move someone does in training as long as they offer time to tap. If they do that, then we're cool.

"Can't defend a choke by tucking in your chin" Gary Tonon

I rolled with clem shields last nite and he rnc'd my chin in about 0.3 seconds i had to tap. It is not a real defense in my opinion

I think its more of crushing your teammates jaw is considered a dick move. I understand your predicament though. If the guy refuses to yield even a little bit and is idiot that as his sole defense what are you supposed to do?

Marcelo Garcia has eloquent and humane ways to get defeat the tucking-the-chin and gently choke the life out of people. (sounds funny but true) Usually after a trapping an arm with our hooking leg.

1) Pull back on the forehead, exposing the chin for the other arm to go beneath
2) Make a knife-hand and put thumb under chin. Rotate thumb up, exposing a little space under chin. Put the hand deeper. Repeat a few times until your whole hand is below their chin, then slide across so your forearm is under the chin. Chokey-chokey

Yep this is the problem in a nutshell. Chin tucking is perfectly alright, what's *not* alright is (a) thinking it's a locktight defense; or (b) throwing a hissy fit because your opponent gives no fucks and chokes right through your 'defense.'

This is what's irritating, guys who try to create drama by claiming they tucked their chin under your choke, so ... so ... something I guess, you are a dick for tapping them.

Marcelo Garcia has eloquent and humane ways to get defeat the tucking-the-chin and gently choke the life out of people. (sounds funny but true) Usually after a trapping an arm with our hooking leg.

2) Make a knife-hand and put thumb under chin. Rotate thumb up, exposing a little space under chin. Put the hand deeper. Repeat a few times until your whole hand is below their chin, then slide across so your forearm is under the chin. Chokey-chokey

That's my main reaction to people tucking their chin. I'm not interested in trying to pain-tap them but much more interested in finding ways to get that chin up. I want to learn how to choke people, not ruin their teeth. In a comp or fight I would but at the gym, where it's just practice, I want to learn to get their neck.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree...

Hands fighting is way more important than making an X, making an X will not stop me to cut through your defense, now making an X, shoulders up, chin down, is a whole another story.

Again, you can facecrank people with a RNC on the face, but I rather take my chances defending a RNC to the face than giving up the neck.

Making an X is grip fighting.

That's actually the perfect description for how a lot of people treat it---a "get out of jail free card." It's especially cool if you can get the Braulio blood choke through the face, because then they're double-frustrated. Not only did you not respect their half defense, but it also didn't work even as a half measure.

I've done both of these, and the funny thing is, especially with the Pez Dispenser (#1 in your post) some people get worked up over that also. I've heard people call it a neck crank. Some people will call any discomfort in their neck a "neck crank."

100% agree, all im.saying tucking.your.chin.is the first thing.you should.do, first.line of.defense,.it.will.buy.you.some.time so.you can.work.an escape, thats all... if.you dont.tuck.your.chin inmediatwly.you are.giving.up.the.neck...

Sorry. I misread one of your posts. We were saying very similar things. :)
(Corrected in orig. post.)

There are humane options.... And then there's the Baret Yoshida nose-rape method:

vWleqb.gif

ok man, like I said, I dont agree with your view on this subject.

So your view is that chin tucking is your first line of defense?

I think your first line of defense is grip fighting.

Then if you lose the grip fighting, use chin tuck which you fight again for grip fighting.

From what I read of what you wrote, chin tucking is your first option.

For me, it is the last barrier.

It seems kind of funny to me that sometimes we pop ankles, elbows, knees and we just shrug it off...but if you crank on someone's chin, it's time to throw down, bro.

That's my main reaction to people tucking their chin. I'm not interested in trying to pain-tap them but much more interested in finding ways to get that chin up. I want to learn how to choke people, not ruin their teeth. In a comp or fight I would but at the gym, where it's just practice, I want to learn to get their neck.

In a fight I would argue it's much better to get the neck too. Better to choke a guy unconscious than get bite marks on your arm and have an angry toothless zombie drooling on you.

These days I don't really care about getting the tap in the gym unless I see it as a legit submission. I mean, what difference does it really make.

There are humane options.... And then there's the Baret Yoshida nose-rape method:

HAHAHAHA crap man I think going full bar-arm on the face is better than that!

So your view is that chin tucking is your first line of defense?

I think your first line of defense is grip fighting.

Then if you lose the grip fighting, use chin tuck which you fight again for grip fighting.

From what I read of what you wrote, chin tucking is your first option.

For me, it is the last barrier.

From my personal point of view, grip fighting is of course extremely important, and it can be done while tucking your chin, they are not mutually exclusive. BUT, sometimes (as the example I gave you before) grip fighting is not immediately possible, at least not with 2 hands, so you have to defend with what you have at that time. Every second your chin is not glue to your chest means theres a second for the person to slide his hand under your chin, and hand under you a chin is normally game over.

vWleqb.gif

Don't be stupid. Pain compliance is bullshido. If he tried that on me I'd let him break my nose and hit him with the old GNP.

Back