Tucking the Chin doesn't Work - Andre Galvao at ADCC 2009 Brazil Trials

Invisible Jiu Jitsu

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score

I picked up the end of an Andre Galvao match at the Brazil Trials for ADCC 2009. Here we see he doesn't worry about choking over the chin.

No, it doesn't. I use the finish Braulio used there and shows in a video somewhere, you can totally choke someone through the tucked chin. It's still a choke too, not a crank.

Braulio is the man.

Is not going to save you for ever, but to say it doesn’t work it’s flawed IMO, it works to save you some secs and start doing some other defense, hand fighting etc, if you don’t tuck your chin right away, you’ll be getting choked out in a matter of secs, you could lay flat on your opponet though, that defense doesn’t need you to tuck your chin, but if your on your side or sit up, you better tuck your chin and then think on how to escape later.

"Your chin is not a technical defense," is one of the formative early lessons I learned courtesy of a brown belt who face-choked me several times in a row. It might buy you a tiny amount of time, but even that mostly depends on your partner's squeamishness regarding your teeth and gums. Hands are a defense. Your hope that your opponent who wants to submit you and is already on your back is going to be nice to you is not.

"Your chin is not a technical defense," is one of the formative early lessons I learned courtesy of a brown belt who face-choked me several times in a row. It might buy you a tiny amount of time, but even that mostly depends on your partner's squeamishness regarding your teeth and gums. Hands are a defense. Your hope that your opponent who wants to submit you and is already on your back is going to be nice to you is not.

Honestly choking through the chin is one of my favorite things in BJJ or judo newaza.

Something about your opponent’s outrage about how you failed to respect the chin tuck ... just does it for me every time. They are usually outright indignant, and that attitude from somebody who just got choked never gets old.

Btw I agree that tucking is better than not, but it’s a weak defense. People, especially in judo, seem to feel it is like an invulnerable wall that only a total dick would dare disrespect.

Something about your opponent’s outrage about how you failed to respect the chin tuck ... just does it for me every time.

I feel exactly the same about this, short chokes, wrist locks, and taps from side mount shoulder pressure. The indignation is delicious. "Oh, THIS is a bridge too far? GTFO, dude."

I feel exactly the same about this, short chokes, wrist locks, and taps from side mount shoulder pressure. The indignation is delicious. "Oh, THIS is a bridge too far? GTFO, dude."

I just cannot fathom how anyone on Earth can think that crippling shoulder pressure = bad jiu jitsu. And yet it occurs.

not really, you should be using your hands to buy yourself time

Don’t agree at all, if your chin isn’t tuck, let’s say your opponent got your back and very quickly takes you to his strong side, id your chin ain’t tucked, you could be fighting a very high seat belt which is almost guarantee is going to end with a forearm on your neck, no hand fighting is going to save your ass if the forearm is really deep in your neck, you could be fighting the locking hand, but it really is a matter of who is doing the offense or defense faster... tucking your chin and hand fighting at the same time is the best way to go, doing any of those just by it self won’t save you from a good choker.

Don’t agree at all, if your chin isn’t tuck, let’s say your opponent got your back and very quickly takes you to his strong side, id your chin ain’t tucked, you could be fighting a very high seat belt which is almost guarantee is going to end with a forearm on your neck, no hand fighting is going to save your ass if the forearm is really deep in your neck, you could be fighting the locking hand, but it really is a matter of who is doing the offense or defense faster... tucking your chin and hand fighting at the same time is the best way to go, doing any of those just by it self won’t save you from a good choker.

Fair enough, I don't think your chin will stop my arms doing what they want thouhh. If you watch the HL video of Marcelo choking everyone from the back for example, he only worries about clearing their arms and then once that's done the choke is a certainty

Fair enough, I don't think your chin will stop my arms doing what they want thouhh. If you watch the HL video of Marcelo choking everyone from the back for example, he only worries about clearing their arms and then once that's done the choke is a certainty

It won’t, but it will save me some time, I love to choke through the chin, hell I think I don’t even look to get my forearm under the chin anymore, but there’s is absolutely no doubt that a long skinny neck it’s way easier to attack than a no neck guy.

I took Marcelo’s rnc as a bible... But Marcelo has one thing that’s particular to his body type. He has really short arms. If you see him, he is always looking for the clear the hand of the defender that’s on his choking wrist. A good place hand on the choking wrist it’s a good defense for short arm people (again to save time), i do it also, cause a hand on my choking wrist makes me harder to lock up properly the choke, let’s say i have the lock on my fingers no my palm, so the pressure isn’t ideal. Braulio in the other hand doesn’t need that cause his arms are so long.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure as fuck my chin tucked isn’t going to save me from getting rnc by a good rnchoker, but it will make things a little bit harder that just giving up my neck. That’s all I’m saying.
By the way, I loved your old rnc Vid, Iirc, you talked about how to squeeze, it’s very important to have a good squeezing technique, not many people talk about it though.

Tucking your chin for choke defense is like clasping your hands for armbar defense. It's not a perfect defense, but like BJJ Rage mentions, it will buy you some seconds that keep you in the game. IDGAF, I'm always going to tuck my chin, but I'm not going to rely on that only.

No, it doesn't. I use the finish Braulio used there and shows in a video somewhere, you can totally choke someone through the tucked chin. It's still a choke too, not a crank.

Braulio is the man.

You need to have a proper angle to choke the way Braulio does. Without the chin you can just squeeze from wherever.

Back