TUF 20 EPISODE 1 DISCUSSION 10pm et

You still have to figure that the favorite will still likely win more than the underdogs.

that's a reasonable perception generally-speaking but the first episode was not proof of that in the context of this tournament and in fact provided more credence to the idea that upsets are all too common so i don't see how the first episode is any indication Gilbert's team is in big trouble...

There's not more outrage at that joke of a decision? I was sure the consensus would be that TT "easily" won it, and got robbed. Albeit she fought really dumb, I don't see how she could've possibly lost the 3rd round after clearly winning the standup and landing much harder shots. I guess a takedown without any strikes with 1min left, while getting outworked from the bottom is enough to win rounds again? Pretty pathetic, probably on par (or worse) than Davis vs. Machida.

Sure, let's give the Sarah Kaufman vs. Dufresne decision to Kaufman after spending 13 min on the ground with 7 of those in sidecontrol, for landing slaps to the ears and love handles, and let's give Ferguson the win over Castillo on the bottom, but here let's allow that Daviseque takedown to win the fight. Now there's even more inconsistency in juding, you have the ones overvaluing top control just as before, and the other group who prob have no idea what's going on but have either been reprimanded or got some bad press and now want to give fights to the bottom fighter too eagerly (but only if said fighters swing their hands like an orangutang and land flashy insignificant blows; awarding it to the one on the bottom in a fight like Hioki vs. Guida or MM vs. Miguel Torres would still never happen). So yeah hooray for more inconsistency I guess.

Sarah Kaufman vs. (Alexis) Dufresne have never fought one another.

Alexis Dufresne has fought Sarah Moras though and the overall fight fits in with your comments.

Carry on.

There's not more outrage at that joke of a decision? I was sure the consensus would be that TT "easily" won it, and got robbed. Albeit she fought really dumb, I don't see how she could've possibly lost the 3rd round after clearly winning the standup and landing much harder shots. I guess a takedown without any strikes with 1min left, while getting outworked from the bottom is enough to win rounds again? Pretty pathetic, probably on par (or worse) than Davis vs. Machida.

Sure, let's give the Sarah Kaufman vs. Dufresne decision to Kaufman after spending 13 min on the ground with 7 of those in sidecontrol, for landing slaps to the ears and love handles, and let's give Ferguson the win over Castillo on the bottom, but here let's allow that Daviseque takedown to win the fight. Now there's even more inconsistency in juding, you have the ones overvaluing top control just as before, and the other group who prob have no idea what's going on but have either been reprimanded or got some bad press and now want to give fights to the bottom fighter too eagerly (but only if said fighters swing their hands like an orangutang and land flashy insignificant blows; awarding it to the one on the bottom in a fight like Hioki vs. Guida or MM vs. Miguel Torres would still never happen). So yeah hooray for more inconsistency I guess.

Did you watch the same fight as I did? I didn't see Tecia totally dominate the standup and I am almost sure she got slightly wobbled by Randa standing up too. The fact is this is MMA, you have to judge all aspects of the fight - a takedown with top control yet no strikes landed is still top control and is the dominant position in MMA. Then you factor in the fact that Randa passed her guard, took her back and got mount. She superiorly outgrappled Tecia in that round and that was the biggest difference between them both. Standing up? I'd give the slight edge to Tecia but was she blowing Randa away on the feet? Absolutely not. The telling difference in the round was Randa's groundwork and the fact she definitely won the grappling aspect of the round. I can see why some people lean towards Tecia but the fight was not a robbery at all and could have went either way but Randa's grappling was definitely the difference.

Did you watch the same fight as I did? I didn't see Tecia totally dominate the standup and I am almost sure she got slightly wobbled by Randa standing up too. The fact is this is MMA, you have to judge all aspects of the fight - a takedown with top control yet no strikes landed is still top control and is the dominant position in MMA. Then you factor in the fact that Randa passed her guard, took her back and got mount. She superiorly outgrappled Tecia in that round and that was the biggest difference between them both. Standing up? I'd give the slight edge to Tecia but was she blowing Randa away on the feet? Absolutely not. The telling difference in the round was Randa's groundwork and the fact she definitely won the grappling aspect of the round. I can see why some people lean towards Tecia but the fight was not a robbery at all and could have went either way but Randa's grappling was definitely the difference.

She did not get wobbled unless you somehow think pulling away from the initiated clinch counts as such? You talk about the dominant grappling like it was the significant aspect of the round, but all this was seconds long. I would argue the single elbow TT landed for the brief moment Randa was on her back a more influential event in that round. The mount again, was a second or two long right at the end, TT actually landed while on the bottom with Randa not doing anything with the brief positions she had. But even if you value grappling higher, let's consider the periods TT had her pushed against the cage too, we can count that towards the same effective grappling criteria.

I thought it was very tough to call the third round for either for much of it. Tecia threw a couple of quick combos but Randa had cage control and was the one walking her down a lot of the time. I'm not a big "forward movement" guy when it comes to judging but you know they do look at it.

So I saw it as pretty even. Tecia was kind of playing it safe and so was Markos- one of those situations where neither person wants to make the error that will cost him/her the fight. But when Randa hit that lateral drop, it just seemed for sure that she clinched it there and then with the top control.

I'm also getting this vibe from the season that Pettis has this cosmic swag about him and that Gil is going to lose the title fight.

Lol it has a very distinct type of ppl...very proud and hardworking. I think she'll be spending more time bouncing from Detroit to Windsor to Jessica Eye 'a gym in Ohio. Michigan top team has Cruikshank and Lee right ?

MTT only has cruikshank, Lee has been in Vegas where he train's. From following Randa, since her pro career began her twitter has made it sound that she just recently went over to train at MTT prior to leaving for the house. Sure it will continue by looks of it now back

She did not get wobbled unless you somehow think pulling away from the initiated clinch counts as such? You talk about the dominant grappling like it was the significant aspect of the round, but all this was seconds long. I would argue the single elbow TT landed for the brief moment Randa was on her back a more influential event in that round. The mount again, was a second or two long right at the end, TT actually landed while on the bottom with Randa not doing anything with the brief positions she had. But even if you value grappling higher, let's consider the periods TT had her pushed against the cage too, we can count that towards the same effective grappling criteria.

Well, I saw Randa land a punch that almost dropped Tecia to one knee - either that or she sort of lost balance and backed into the cage. I think you're valuing striking way too highly for this.

Tecia did indeed hold Randa against the cage, this is true, but did she advance position or land alot of strikes? I don't recall seeing her work towards doing anything - which is the entire opposite of what Randa was doing from top position. It doesn't matter if the mount was only seconds long - it happened. Getting mounted whilst on the ground is almost the equivalent to getting knocked down in MMA IMO, they're both incredibly difficult scenarios to come back from. It doesn't matter if you land strikes on the bottom - they're insignificant and don't fulfill any criteria other than aggression. Not to mention that they didn't seem to damage Randa either.

Striking breakdown - Tecia landed (and also missed alot if you look at the slow mo replays) on Randa, Randa would land leg kicks and did land some punches. It was close but as I said, i'd give Tecia the edge. She wasn't hurting Randa and she wasn't landing at will. Randa did hit Tecia a few times and both of them did back up quite often.

Grappling breakdown - As you said, Tecia held her against the cage. What did she do but hold her against the cage? She didn't advance position, I don't recall her throwing many strikes there either. I don't see it as effective if you're just holding position. You're not putting your opponent in any danger and you're not doing anything significant. Whereas when Randa dropped and got the takedown, she may not have GnPed but she worked to advance position. She passed Tecia's guard (imo that's effective grappling as she is worsening Tecia's position and improving her own) then took her back then also got mount. Regardless of the length of time each position was held, they still count. Randa was much more effective as a grappler in the round. Tecia was in much worse positions during that round than Randa was.

It may have been only around about a minute of grappling action but it was more significant in telling the difference between the two than the previous 4 minutes were.

Am I saying Randa clearly won the round? Not really, but their difference in grappling was much bigger than the difference in striking of the round. If Tecia had knocked Randa down or wobbled her then you have a much stronger case for Tecia beating Randa. In my opinion, obviously.

lol wth is a cosmic swag?

To coin the phrase

- an extreme self-assurance and confidence in ones abilities to the extent that defeat is highly improbable.

1z6ti7k.jpg

To coin the phrase

- an extreme self-assurance and confidence in ones abilities to the extent that defeat is highly improbable.

Cosmic Swag is the source of Gladiator's strength and powers:

Kallark_(Earth-616)_014.jpg

Just watched the episode. Thoughts:

- We should have had two fights. I understand the need to introduce the fighters but I thought those segments went on for way too long and was way too repetitive. How many times do we have to be told that Hill has a loving husband? That Alex is an astrophysicist? That Rose is in a relationship with Pat?

- Jojo is adorable. The whole cupcake thing was really cute.

- I don't think Felice is ranked anywhere near #6. However, she was put there because the UFC wanted to put HJC at #13 so they could fight. Personally, they are my two least favorite fighters on the show and I don't mind seeing a double KO in their rematch (actually I'm praying for it).

- Gil is the nicer coach but, from the advice I heard before and during the fight, Pettis is better at actual coaching. Surprised how cool Pettis was considering the comments he made towards Ronda.

- I agree with the final results of the fight. Tecia had a slight edge in the first three minutes of the final round but got taken down and couldn't get up again. Mount is not a neutral position ffs (even if Tecia did have the overhook of one of Randa's arms) - there's a reason we give 4 points for it in BJJ.

I agree, multiple fights would have been better but equally, you have to remember some people watching this show may have no idea who anyone is and so, needs an introduction. What interests me is that not every girl had an intro segment - and they showed Tecia's and Randa's before their fight. Makes me think that those introed on the first episode will have their fights later rather than sooner. Can see Kish-Rawlings perhaps being the next matchup. Hope i'm wrong though.

- I agree with the final results of the fight. Tecia had a slight edge in the first three minutes of the final round but got taken down and couldn't get up again. Mount is not a neutral position ffs (even if Tecia did have the overhook of one of Randa's arms) - there's a reason we give 4 points for it in BJJ.

She didn't just have the slight edge, she had a notable edge from landing notably more strikes and pushing Randa against the fence more times than vice versa. And when Randa got her down with 1 min 20 secs left she spent half the time in essentially butterfly guard doing nothing but jostling for position and the other half doing nothing but jostling for position on Tecia's back and then she got the mount in the last five seconds and got one elbow off, the same type of elbow scoring-wise Tecia landed while SHE WAS UP momentarily so you even got that wrong.

Swear, some people can't analyze fights for shit even though footage is clear as day.

Last edited:
Back