TUF 26 (A New World Champion): Weekly Updates - Daily Talk

The Highlight

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
The Ultimate Fighter: A New World Champion: Wednesday Nights at 10pm/7pm ET/PT on FS1
Hey everyone, I thought it'd be cool to have a thread dedicated to talk about the weekly fights and chatter about what happens on the show! I'll try to keep things updated as they progress from week-to-week. Live Sherdogging is welcome while the show airs as well :D

TUF 26 Finals Set with Underdog Destined to Be Inaugural Champion

November 29 Semifinal Fight:
#12. Sijara Eubanks (2-2, 3-0 TUF) def. #1. Roxanne Modafferi (21-13 MMA, 2-1 TUF) [Un. Dec]
Episode 12 of The Ultimate Fighter: A New World Champion featured another massive upset.
No. 12 seed Sijara Eubanks entered the 16-woman tournament with only 4 pro fights and a 2-2 record.
She defeated the very experienced former TUF 18 veteran Roxanne Modaferri in the semifinals convincingly.

November 22 Semifinal Fight:
#14. Nicco Montano (3-2, 3-0 TUF) def. #2. Barb Honchak (10-2, 2-1 TUF) [Un. Dec]
Biggest Upset in TUF History Lands Underdog In Finals
Episode 11 of The Ultimate Fighter: A New World Champion featured arguably the biggest upset in the show’s history.
No. 14 seed Nicco Montano entered the 16-woman tournament coming off a loss and with a 3-2 record.
She faced former Invicta FC flyweight champion Barb Honchak in the semifinals and defeated the overall No. 2 seed.

Semifinals:
#14. Nicco Montano (3-2, 3-0 TUF) def. #2. Barb Honchak (10-2, 2-1 TUF) [Un. Dec] Episode 11 Recap
Montano's Key to becoming Champion: Relentless pressure, very good positioning/stand-up grappling along with a high Fight-IQ
#12. Sijara Eubanks (2-2, 3-0 TUF) def. #1. Roxanne Modafferi (21-13 MMA, 2-1 TUF) [Un. Dec] Episode No. 12
Sijara's Key to becoming Champion: Able to land those heavy head kicks at will, very well-executed takedowns and very powerful striking

– The Quarterfinals:
* #1. Roxanne Modafferi (21-13 MMA, 2-0 TUF) def.. #8. Emily Whitmire (2-1, 1-1 TUF) [Rd. 1-TKO]
-Roxy looked dominate, her ground position made all the difference along with her nasty elbows. Easy 1st rd. TKO.

* #12. Sijara Eubanks (2-2, 2-0 TUF) def. #4. DeAnna Bennett (8-3, 1-1 TUF) [Rd. 1-KO]
-Sijara looked alil sluggish at the beginning of Rd. 1 until WOW! Catches DeAnna with the KO headkick!

* #2 Barb Honchak (10-2, 2-0 TUF) def. #10. Rachael Ostovich (3-3, 1-1 TUF) [Un. Dec]
-Very close 1st rd. Barb is good with her take-downs and continuous pressure is able to get the decision over a very tough Rachael.

* #14. Nicco Montano (3-2, 2-0 TUF) def. #6. Montana Stewart (7-4, 1-1 TUF) [Un. Dec]
-Wow, very bad head gash on Montana after a knee to the head in Rd. 1, Stewart getting beat up pretty badly on the ground in Rd. 2 being completely dominated by Nicco. ... guess who wins.

Here is the bracket Green is Team Alvarez, Blue Team Gaethje
TUF-Bracket.jpg

Eddie Alvarez and Justin Gaethje are the TUF 26 coaches. This season will feature 16 ladies competing for the debut of the women's flyweight division.
The two finalists will compete for the inaugural women's flyweight championship on Dec. 1.

Results:
Team Alvarez: 3
Barb Honchak (10-2) (advances to quarterfinals)(advances to semifinals)(defeated by #14)
#3 Lauren Murphy (9-3) (defeated by #14)
#4 DeAnna Bennett (8-3) (advances to quarterfinals)(defeated by #12)
#7 Melinda Fabian (4-3-1) (defeated by #10)
#9 Christina Marks (8-8) (defeated by #8)
#11 Ariel Beck (4-4) (defeated by #6)
#12 Sijara Eubanks (2-2) (advances to quarterfinals)(advances to semifinals)(advances to finale)
#16 Shana Dobson (2-1) (defeated by #1)

Team Gaethje: 5
Roxanne Modafferi (21-13) (advances to quarterfinals)(advances to semifinals)(defeated by #12)
#5 Maia Stevenson (6-4) (defeated by #12)
#6 Montana Stewart (7-4) (advances to quarterfinals)(defeated by #14)
Emily Whitmire (2-1) (advances to quarterfinals)(defeated by #1)
Rachael Ostovich (3-3) (advances to quarterfinals)(defeated by #2)
#13 Karine Gevorgyan (3-2) (defeated by #4)
#14 Nicco Montano (3-2) (advances to quarterfinals)(advances to semifinals)(advances to finale)
#15 Gillian Robertson (3-2) (defeated by #2)

Episode No. 1 recap: Aug. 30 - We should expect the TUF coaches to select their teams tonight (8 on each team). We had a fight already!
Roxanne Modafferi (21-13) def. Shana Dobson (2-1) [Rd 1-TKO]: Wow, once Roxanne got that top position it was all over for Shana. "The Happy Warrior" has some nasty elbows! Although Shana was covering up pretty good and didn't look like she was in any real danger, the ref still called it. What do you guys think?

Episode No. 2 recap: Sep. 6 - #4 DeAnna Bennett (8-3) def. #13 Karine Gevorgyan (3-2) [Rd 1-TKO]
Episode: Fight! Emily gets hurt in training (doesn't look serious). Both ladies started off looking very focused throwing good punches. DeAnna got the takedown giving her a huge advantage and once she had good positioning she landed numerous elbows and punches. Good stoppage. So far we are 2 for 2 for finishes!

Episode No. 3 recap: Sep. 13 - #6 Montana Stewart (7-4) def. #11 Ariel Beck (4-4) [Rd 1-Sub]
Episode: Time To Shine The teams step away from the TUF gym to train at the new UFC Performance Institute, Emily gets treated for her rib injury and look like she's gonna go ahead with her prelim fight. Ariel has an emotional breakdown before her fight with Montana. The Team Gaethje girls go out for a night of bowling (Montana's killing it!) Montana had a good game plan, gets the take down and looks for the finish... and gets it! Well-executed D'Arce. 3 for 3 for finishes! Wow.

Episode No. 4 recap: Sep. 20 - #14 Nicco Montano (3-2) def. #3 Lauren Murphy (9-3) [Un. Dec]
Episode: The Truth in Me Lauren Murphy opens up about her troubled past while Nicco Montano teaches the house about her Navajo heritage. Nicco with some very good kicks in Rd. 1, followed by solid elbows to the head of Lauren in Rd. 2. Lauren didn't look that great and looked to clinch late in the fight to try and slow Nicco down. Un. Decision victory for Nicco. Montano vs. Montana in the quarterfinals!

Episode No. 5 recap: Sep. 27 - #12 Sijara Eubanks (2-2) def. #5 Maia Stevenson (6-4) [Rd 2-Sub]
Episode: Feelings Mean Nothing Lauren takes her loss to Nicco very hard. Sijara has trouble making weight but cuts her hair to barely make it... doesn't seem effected by it at all in her fight. Eubanks with a very dominant Rd. 1, 10-8 easily. Continues her dominance in Rd. 2 with her ground game and gets the Kimura finish on Maia. She could win the whole thing!

Episode No. 6 recap: Oct. 4 - #2 Barb Honchak (10-2) def. #15. Gillian Robertson (3-2) [Rd. 2-TKO]
Episode: Predator Barb comes back after 2 years and looks like a true veteran. Her striking speed looks above average and lands very hard punches. Gillian looked comfortable on the ground but looks like she got tired by the 2nd rd. when she went for the takedown, the ref stopped this fight from Barb's striking while in mount. Great to see Gillian in good spirits despite her loss, the first lady I recall who hasn't cried after a defeat.
Episode No. 7 recap: Oct. 18 - #10 Rachael Ostovich (3-3) def. #7 Melinda Fabian (4-3-1) [Rd. 1-Sub] Episode: Enjoy the Moment
Dana swings by and visits the ladies, very proud and impressed by the season so far and women's mma as a whole. Gives inspirational speech and shows off his wheels. Melinda tries to deal with her injury before the fight. Rachael shows off her.....! Once Melinda got taken to the ground Rachael had some great head shots before sinking in the RNC to get the finish.

Episode No. 8 recap: Nov. 1 - #8 Emily Whitmire (2-1) def. #9 Christina Marks (8-8) [Rd. 1-Sub]
Episode: Sink or Swim The Lauren drama finally boils over with Eddie and she switches teams lol. We finally see the incredibly difficult coaches challenge where Eddie and Justin compete to swim 16 laps in an Olympic size swimming pool! (16 laps=800m). Emily with the early takedown... and what?! Wow! Bad defense by Marks, she allows Whitmire to lock in the armbar within the first minute of the very first round! And just like that Emily will return in the first quarterfinal fight against Roxanne!

the-ultimate-fighter-26-tuf-26-cast.jpg

Check Out: >>>The Ultimate Fighter: A New World Champion Videos<<< Updated Weekly
DI-EVuqW4AIxiwG.jpg
Sick MMA Links:
https://www.mma-core.com/
https://411mania.com/mma/
http://bleacherreport.com/ufc
https://mma-today.com/category/ufc
https://www.mikeswick.com/

Last edited:
Dana via monitor.

Meh

Ironic that Gaethje is talking about how important mental strength is, and is doing the interviews with Trevor Whitman, who coaches a major head case in Namajunas.

Seeded like season 20 was. Makes sense. Gonna be interesting.

I'm surprised that the Armenian woman needs a translator. Has there ever been a fighter needing a translator in the TUF house before?

I'm surprised that the Armenian woman needs a translator. Has there ever been a fighter needing a translator in the TUF house before?
Okubo had to do without one.

A square cage. Didn't think those were sanctioned anymore. There are some old Extreme Challenge vids on Fight Pass where they used a square cage.

Roxy really does look much improved since her first stint on TUF so far. Hope she can live up to that #1 seed.

Surprised Roxy is the number 1 seed over Barb, but I am guessing unfamiliarity and being off for so long pushed Barb to #2.

Here is the bracket. Green is Team Alvarez, Blue Team Gaethje

tuf 26 bracket.jpg

She had basic present tense and some simple past tense grammar ability along with level one vocabulary, so she could basically communicate needs. She got better the longer she was in the house. (I tried to help her since I'm an English teacher)

She had basic present tense and some simple past tense grammar ability along with level one vocabulary, so she could basically communicate needs. She got better the longer she was in the house. (I tried to help her since I'm an English teacher)
Hey Roxy, great opening fight for you! You really are much improved. But you've kept the awesome personality and attitude. Hope you go far! Rooting for you!

Good luck in the finale.

full

Back