turf toe while striking, and shoes

MadSquabbles500

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Anyone ever get turf toe while striking?

Striking requires a lot of pivoting especially kicks. It make me cringe when I think about all that pivoting. Boxing wears shoes. Does the shoes help with that? In TKD, a lot of pivoting occurs. But the mats are very very soft. I wonder if that helps out a lot. The more slippery the surface, the less strain, but you still need some friction to do anything.

Other sports also suffer turf toe especially the ones with cleats. Ugh, I just keep picturing all the signews, and small little parts just getting twisted and stretched. Ice hockey however I dont think I ever hear of turf toe happening eventhough they grind on hard surface like the ice. Ice hockey skates are extremely stiff, robust, and hard. Preferably when you pivot, or push off, the whole foot will move as one.

In french Savate, they also wear shoes. I dont think it can be very stiff though. Imagine the damage a kick will do if wearing a stiff hard boot. It be way too dangerous. What is purpose of shoes then for Boxing, and Savate?

It seems like Euro arts like boxing, and even freestyle, greco, wear shoes, but east asians dont except for Shuai Jiao.

In french Savate, they also wear shoes. I dont think it can be very stiff though. Imagine the damage a kick will do if wearing a stiff hard boot. It be way too dangerous. What is purpose of shoes then for Boxing, and Savate?
ankle support (boxing). Not sure about savate, probably protection, the kicks are with the instep where there are multiple small fragile bones. Running shoes or sneakers sin't really gonna help that much, but the padding is better than nothing, but overall shoes overall is a western thing

It seems like Euro arts like boxing, and even freestyle, greco, wear shoes, but east asians dont except for Shuai Jiao.
East Asian arts, when practiced indoors for the most parts don't wear shoes.

ankle support (boxing). Not sure about savate, probably protection, the kicks are with the instep where there are multiple small fragile bones. Running shoes or sneakers sin't really gonna help that much, but the padding is better than nothing, but overall shoes overall is a western thing

East Asian arts, when practiced indoors for the most parts don't wear shoes.

I have never worn the boxing shoes. I have only sparred in ring with my sneakers on. Is it really stiff around the ankles? But dont you need to bend the ankles? I know I have to.

I have never worn the boxing shoes. I have only sparred in ring with my sneakers on. Is it really stiff around the ankles? But dont you need to bend the ankles? I know I have to.
I'm just guessing it is, I've worn basketball shoes and ankle support boots, it looks to be similar. There's probably grip on the shoes to help as well. When I think about the number of times I've thrown kicks and slip from sweat/water, I'm thinking shoes might be a plus

Grip for boxing shoes is a huge deal... Had a very tuff time getting used to wearing shoes in the ring. But once you get used to it, i personally really enjoy it.
How many of us have slipped after a teep to a sweaty opponent?
I believe it makes a huge difference in wrestling too, vs no-gi or bjj...

I don't know if in Savate the shoes are primordially to protect the instep. The protectors we are wearing in TKD seem more appropriate for that. And i know in some karate style they use some, and at some old school American kick boxing. None of them wear shoes...

Last edited:
Ive only ever wore trainers for boxing. Always trained karate and kickboxing barefoot. Although Ive seen a few taekwondo guys wear shoes in class, not just the foot protectors but proper trainers/sneakers, most of the time it seems to be the instructors though so maybe its because they only have to demonstrate a move and not drill it?
I don't know if in Savate the shoes are primordially to protect the instep.
I think savate shoes have a fairly solid toe box because they do a few of the kicks with the toes, so they reinforce it.

Anyone ever get turf toe while striking?

Striking requires a lot of pivoting especially kicks. It make me cringe when I think about all that pivoting. Boxing wears shoes. Does the shoes help with that? In TKD, a lot of pivoting occurs. But the mats are very very soft. I wonder if that helps out a lot. The more slippery the surface, the less strain, but you still need some friction to do anything.

Other sports also suffer turf toe especially the ones with cleats. Ugh, I just keep picturing all the signews, and small little parts just getting twisted and stretched. Ice hockey however I dont think I ever hear of turf toe happening eventhough they grind on hard surface like the ice. Ice hockey skates are extremely stiff, robust, and hard. Preferably when you pivot, or push off, the whole foot will move as one.

I teeped someone and he blocked it with his knee, it landed at a weird angle and bent my toe backwards very badly.......it was basically a severe turf toe injury, although it happened in a unusual way. took about 1 year to fully heal.

Too many times have I ripped the skin off the bottom of my little toe on my left foot......whilst pivoting to throw a right kick........ It's mostly to do with the surface.......:mad:

I think savate shoes have a fairly solid toe box because they do a few of the kicks with the toes, so they reinforce it.

Good call, you're probably right.

That must hurt the target like hell. This seems very very unsafe. Its like giving a boxer a brass knuckle to use in the ring

Too many times have I ripped the skin off the bottom of my little toe on my left foot......whilst pivoting to throw a right kick........ It's mostly to do with the surface.......:mad:

or the way your toes are. Being serious here, for the majority of the west we are a "shod" society. Shoes are unhealthy for your feet and toes. They offer so much support that your feet and toes are little more than pieces of meat inside them, the muscles are weak from never being used. Cramming your feet into shoes mangles your toes over the years. Mine used to be pretty bad and I corrected it by wearing vibram 5 fingers for years now, running and jump roping in them. Having wide splayed toes offers more control and balance. Take a look at an americans foot vs a thais foot for example. yes they were shoes in thailand but sandals are more commonly accepted than in the west. Once you get used to it, you will hate to wear shoes. I only wear shoes when I have to.

drawfoot03.jpg

shoefootdeformity-569x450-cropped-e1420659773955.jpg

6a01156e5accee970c011571d4281e970b-600wi

That must hurt the target like hell. This seems very very unsafe. Its like giving a boxer a brass knuckle to use in the ring
think you just gave me an idea for a new fight promotion

Since I started martial arts, skate shoes are my best friends... Cannot get comfy in running shoes anymore.

or the way your toes are. Being serious here, for the majority of the west we are a "shod" society. Shoes are unhealthy for your feet and toes. They offer so much support that your feet and toes are little more than pieces of meat inside them, the muscles are weak from never being used. Cramming your feet into shoes mangles your toes over the years. Mine used to be pretty bad and I corrected it by wearing vibram 5 fingers for years now, running and jump roping in them. Having wide splayed toes offers more control and balance. Take a look at an americans foot vs a thais foot for example. yes they were shoes in thailand but sandals are more commonly accepted than in the west. Once you get used to it, you will hate to wear shoes. I only wear shoes when I have to.

drawfoot03.jpg

shoefootdeformity-569x450-cropped-e1420659773955.jpg

6a01156e5accee970c011571d4281e970b-600wi

My toes are very strong and I only ever wear shoes, when I go out, on the street it's actually the surface in the gym I train at, around the weights, equipment and the bags they have this rough rubber floor surface, it actually provides too much grip.

Back