Turn based RPG's aren't for me anymore

I used to love turnbased RPGs, Isometic RPG's. But now days I can't get into them. I got Diablo 3 and it just didn't hook me like 1 & 2 did. I think as you age your taste changes and that's a good thing. So many people I know force themselves to play games out of nostalgia.

FF4-7 still shits on 99.8% of what is released in 2018 imo.

RPGs used to be my favorite genre, but over the last decade I've slowly drifted more towards turn based combat games with a minimal amount of story, or I just skip straight through the story. I love turn based combat, but I just don't have the patience for shitty amateurish storytelling anymore.

My latest attempt was last night with Lost Odyssey, a game that's been in my backlog forever that I've heard good things about. Got 2 hours in before I tapped out to all the usual offenders. Hand holding tutorial for the opening of the game, which is boring as fuck and unskippable. Plot so far is super bland and involves the immortal main character constantly stopping to reminisce about past experiences, which is basically just bad high school level poetry that drones on and on, and is just embarrassing to read. How have they not gotten any fucking better at dialogue, or writing interesting characters, since the fucking early 90's. Bleh.

My little brother used to give me so much shit for playing turn-based RPGs, and now, since he only plays on the phone, he's always on that goddamn Marvel Avengers game which is just a FF skin.

There are about 1000 videos about the lore. It's quite deep. I wouldn't call it a traditional RPG but it basically has all the elements.

Having a story doesn’t make it a RPG. Role playing games aren’t defined by skill trees and having a story. Does not have the basic elements.

I used to love turnbased RPGs, Isometic RPG's. But now days I can't get into them. I got Diablo 3 and it just didn't hook me like 1 & 2 did. I think as you age your taste changes and that's a good thing. So many people I know force themselves to play games out of nostalgia.

Well Diablo also isn’t a RPG.

Well Diablo also isn’t a RPG.

Errrr

"Diablo is an action role-playing hack and slash video game."
On the Blizzard website it's listed as an Action RPG. I'm not really quite sure what you think and RPG is.

Errrr

"Diablo is an action role-playing hack and slash video game."
On the Blizzard website it's listed as an Action RPG. I'm not really quite sure what you think and RPG is.
There are gamers who don't consider Dungeon Scrollers to be RPGs because they don't understand how Diablo is different from Gauntlet.
Having a story doesn’t make it a RPG. Role playing games aren’t defined by skill trees and having a story. Does not have the basic elements.
Narrative (especially via NPCs) and Skill Trees are both "basic elements" of RPGs pioneered by the genre. Articulate your point.

Last edited:
Try ''Underrail'' if you want to play a game with a very well thought-out and fast turn based combat system, you are alone and always outnumbered and that forces you to be inventive with what you have got to overcome your foes, it gives you a lot of customization options as far as buildings, weapons and skills are concerned. You can also be a pure mind-fucker char if you want.

TemporalMainipulation.gif

Anyone here ever play Lord of the Rings: The Third Age?

I had it on the original Xbox.

So, I bought Battle Chasers: Nightwar and so far I'm on the second dungeon, it's really cool and well made but I think I understand why this genre is dying (or I'm too old).

I loved all the Final Fantasies (not I and XIII-3), all the Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger, Cross, you name it, but it's boring as shit now, just press some button and wait for your char to move.

I will finish the game just to satisfy the completionist in me, but I hope it's not too long lol

I never caught their appeal, I played one for like ten minutes once and just couldn’t do it.

It felt like Zork with cut scenes lol

You are categorically wrong. You are playing the role of a character and it is a role playing game.

Try ''Underrail'' if you want to play a game with a very well thought-out and fast turn based combat system, you are alone and always outnumbered and that forces you to be inventive with what you have got to overcome your foes, it gives you a lot of customization options as far as buildings, weapons and skills are concerned. You can also be a pure mind-fucker char if you want.

TemporalMainipulation.gif
I really enjoyed the combat in this until I hit a wall where I had to wander around and talk to a bunch of people to progress. Then I got bored and quit. Same problem I always run into, they eventually force you to pay attention to a story that isn't compelling even a tiny bit. Just let me fight.

Anyone here ever play Lord of the Rings: The Third Age?

I had it on the original Xbox.
Yeah, I enjoyed the hell out of that game despite the mediocre reviews. It managed to suck me in from the start.

Play NIER and NIER Automata. Both games are amazing with good gameplay story and soundtracks.

Feel the same.
I loved FF7, Chrono Trigger, FF Tactics, Mario RPG, Fallout 1/2, Baldur's Gate, but can't get into any of them now a days.
I feel like I don't have the patience or time to go through it all any more.
At age 33, I'm actually starting to feel like I'm getting over gaming.. sad..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back