Turn based RPG's aren't for me anymore

Tales of Vesperia was a good'n and is a hybrid turn based game, and Dark Souls two was a really good game but obviously isn't a turn based rpg... as someone who also loves turn based rpg's and is also finding games hard to get into I can say character development and interplay is hugely important. Without it, the game must do almost everything right, with it some shortcomings are forgivable... If a character or story arch is relatable or charming then the game has more staying power.
The Tales series is gay as fuck. I played and beat one that was ok and played halfway through the sequel recently but had to stop due to how childish it was. Can't think of the name at the moment.

The Tales series is gay as fuck. I played and beat one that was ok and played halfway through the sequel recently but had to stop due to how childish it was. Can't think of the name at the moment.
huh? Like two members of the same gender being aroused by each other? I found vesperia to be charming, the princess was naive and cute and positive, the main character was hardened and cynical. The pace was right, the open world and lots to do was enjoyable especially the extra stuff that wasn't obvious or necessary...It was a good game.

huh? Like two members of the same gender being aroused by each other? I found vesperia to be charming, the princess was naive and cute and positive, the main character was hardened and cynical. The pace was right, the open world and lots to do was enjoyable especially the extra stuff that wasn't obvious or necessary...It was a good game.
Nah just a childish corny series. I felt wrong playing it. Maybe some of them in the series aren't as bad. I played the two Tales of Xillias. Plus all you had to do is jam on buttons to win battles. And they moved so fast I had no clue what was happening.

I'm sad that I have to agree.

It's the hours of grinding that these games usually require that did it for me.

I'll play the shit out of a game if it gets it grips into me, but I'm far pickier now... mainly because my time is limited.

The last role playing game that I seriously got sucked into was X-Com, both 1 & 2. Grinding wasn't required and when I played hardcore/ironman, there was an intensity that's missing from most games these days outside of Dark Souls.

So, I bought Battle Chasers: Nightwar and so far I'm on the second dungeon, it's really cool and well made but I think I understand why this genre is dying (or I'm too old).

I loved all the Final Fantasies (not I and XIII-3), all the Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger, Cross, you name it, but it's boring as shit now, just press some button and wait for your char to move.

I will finish the game just to satisfy the completionist in me, but I hope it's not too long lol

I feel you man, I'm in the same boat with Battle Chasers. Random battles feel like such an insane grind compared to when I was a teenager playing PS1.

The only one that really caught my eye recently is Dragon Quest 11. The graphics of that game are the best I've seen in a modern JRPG, just clean and classic. But I have a feeling the battles are going to wear on me, and the story won't be mature enough to keep me interested.

I'm sad that I have to agree.

It's the hours of grinding that these games usually require that did it for me.

I'll play the shit out of a game if it gets it grips into me, but I'm far pickier now... mainly because my time is limited.

The last role playing game that I seriously got sucked into was X-Com, both 1 & 2. Grinding wasn't required and when I played hardcore/ironman, there was an intensity that's missing from most games these days outside of Dark Souls.
I played just a few missons of X-Com in the last generation but I still have it on my backlog from the Xbox One backwards compatible. I keep reading X-Com 2 is shit and freezes every time and that's why I didn't buy it yet. Did you experience it? Do you also own the DLC? Is it worth it?

I feel you man, I'm in the same boat with Battle Chasers. Random battles feel like such an insane grind compared to when I was a teenager playing PS1.

The only one that really caught my eye recently is Dragon Quest 11. The graphics of that game are the best I've seen in a modern JRPG, just clean and classic. But I have a feeling the battles are going to wear on me, and the story won't be mature enough to keep me interested.
I gave up on that game, playing The Surge now. I won't clear every dungeon three times just for the next airship guys not rekt me lol

Nah just a childish corny series. I felt wrong playing it. Maybe some of them in the series aren't as bad. I played the two Tales of Xillias. Plus all you had to do is jam on buttons to win battles. And they moved so fast I had no clue what was happening.
Vesperia is nice. I believe it has the hardest bosses I played in any JRPG. They are remastering it now for a reason. Bandai Namco never did it.

I played just a few missons of X-Com in the last generation but I still have it on my backlog from the Xbox One backwards compatible. I keep reading X-Com 2 is shit and freezes every time and that's why I didn't buy it yet. Did you experience it? Do you also own the DLC? Is it worth it?

Well, I have it on PC and I haven't experienced any of that... Hopefully they're ironed out any issues with it freezing on the XBox One.

The DLC is ok... you don't really need it. I don't know if there's any Mods available for the Xbox version (like Fallout/Skyrim), but there's a great, dedicated Mod community for X-Com. The Long War Mod for X-Com 1 was outstanding. And the devs for X-Com 2 incorporated a lot of the elements form the mod in the second game, like fatigue and squads.

You can't just create 6 superstars and roll over the opposition anymore. Plus there's actual variety in missions where lightweight mobile soldiers are preferable in some scenarios and outright firepower in others. Stealth is incorporated well too. Though it does take getting used to if you've only played vanilla X-Com 1...

I'm getting pumped thinking out it... Might have to play some tonight.

I've tried a few of them (Graces, Vesperia and Symphonia) and I couldn't get into them at all. The writing is so basic and cringey. I want to like them though so I keep fucken buying them

Well, I have it on PC and I haven't experienced any of that... Hopefully they're ironed out any issues with it freezing on the XBox One.

The DLC is ok... you don't really need it. I don't know if there's any Mods available for the Xbox version (like Fallout/Skyrim), but there's a great, dedicated Mod community for X-Com. The Long War Mod for X-Com 1 was outstanding. And the devs for X-Com 2 incorporated a lot of the elements form the mod in the second game, like fatigue and squads.

You can't just create 6 superstars and roll over the opposition anymore. Plus there's actual variety in missions where lightweight mobile soldiers are preferable in some scenarios and outright firepower in others. Stealth is incorporated well too. Though it does take getting used to if you've only played vanilla X-Com 1...

I'm getting pumped thinking out it... Might have to play some tonight.

I did XCOM: WOTC last month and it was pretty good. But I could never recommend anyone play it on console because the mods available on PC are amazing, game changing shit.

Also vanilla XCOM2 was almost unplayable for me because of tech issues, but WOTC seemed to correct them all and ran very smoothly. I liked all the additions of WOTC to the gameplay. The only thing was it lacked the map variety, but after I started playing I found there was a mod that put all the maps from XCOM back into the rotation (Sadly since I was halfway through the campaign at that point it didn't work for me)

It's not like there were a lot of these games released recently. Sure the library is extensive, but we are not in 1997-2000 anymore. This genre hasn't evolved.

Even FF VII remake will probably use something resembling FF XV as battle system.

It has if you look in the right places, which usually leads to the indie realms. I's not like other rpg genres are any different either. Most of what are considered rpg's now are Skyrim and Zelda clones, have dumbed down hack and slash mechanics, or have a degree of automated combat.
The only thing I'd really consider all that different combat wise would be the rpg's with a sort of rhythm based combat, from the Xenoblade Chronicles series' type of rhythm based combat to something like the Metronomicon which takes that to the extreme.

I've tried a few of them (Graces, Vesperia and Symphonia) and I couldn't get into them at all. The writing is so basic and cringey. I want to like them though so I keep fucken buying them

They each have a different story. How far did you get into Vesperia? I played the demo and though it was fucking stupid at first. Then one weekend I knew I'd be at home all weekend and wanted something so I just bought the game so I'd be forced to play it. Once I got far enough the game got really good and didn't feel so cheesy like in the begging. Berseria was really good as well probably on par with Vesperia as far as how good it was, Vesperia might be slightly higher.

I just picked up Valkyria Chronicles remaster at wal mart today. The geeks at the desk were giving it praise and said it is a very good game.

Definitely seems like something different!

I gave up on that game, playing The Surge now. I won't clear every dungeon three times just for the next airship guys not rekt me lol
Is The Surge good? I meant to pick it up on sale the other day. Seems like a fun take on Souls-style RPG.

Is The Surge good? I meant to pick it up on sale the other day. Seems like a fun take on Souls-style RPG.
I just killed the third boss. It's good but it's more grind oriented. You don't have as many weapon choices as DS but the combat is pretty nice and fast paced, also the enemies are not that varied. I got it on sale too and was totally worth it.

One thing I like is that every boss drops a weapon, and if you kill it in a certain way (harder of course), you get a stronger version of the weapon.

And like DS1, most areas are interconnected. It also has a darker, survival horror vibe.

Eehhhh. It stats off good but gets boring pretty quick. Also the level design is trash. And instead of actual difficulty, eveything can just kill you in two hits.

All the people complaining about grinding and boring gameplay need to stop fucking around with JRPGs and go play XCOM 2 and Divinity Original Sin 2. Those are turn-based games with a ton of strategy, little to no grinding, and you need to be fully engaged in the combat system to succeed.

Back