Two police officers shot after serving warrant on wrong address

LoL

In before someone says what a dangerous job cops have, which after some research I found out not to be true. Hell your local garbage man's job is much more dangerous than that of a cop
Explain. How many garbage men die each year as a direct result of their work?

LOL, this case is amazing. No more of this horseshit about not being able to shoot cops making a mistake without facing charges.

I'm really happy the cops didn't die as a result of their mistake, but I'm even happier they didn't injure the homeowner. This guy sounds like an amazing American, btw:
Once the man realized he had fired upon officers, he immediately surrendered, Stawinski said...

CBS News affiliate WUSA9 reported that when the officers forced his door open using a tool the man fired one shot. One officer was hit in the hand and arm and the other in the shoulder. WUSA9 says the first officer to enter fired one round at whom they believed to be the suspect, but did not hit him.

"As that door now opens, he realizes now that those are police officers," Stawinski said. "He immediately drops that weapon, he immediately goes to the window and starts communicating, 'you got the wrong address don't shoot my daughter'."

"It would be inappropriate to hold this gentleman criminally responsible for his actions," Stawinski said, explaining that their hunt for a local drug dealer, and a tip from an informant, had led them to the apartment.

"The investigation led us to the wrong address," Stawinski said, adding that the resident was just as worried about the safety of the two police officers when he realized he'd wounded them, "as he was worried about the safety of his own daughter."

What a stud. Defended his life, family, and property, but didn't hold a grudge, and immediately identified the mistake. That's what gave him the best chance to survive. His behavior couldn't have been more perfect.

This is the demeanor to adopt in these situations. Pay attention, cop-haters.

The article doesn’t mention whether the cops identified themselves as cops while knocking. If they had, they might have avoided this.

"After getting no response to knocks on an apartment door, officers used a device to open it, Donelan said."

Is it actually legal for the police to break in a house to serve a warrent?
Yes, that's the right a warrant gives them. No more 4th Amendment with a warrant.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/2...ed-warrant-to-wrong-apartment-police-say.html
The resident, who had fallen asleep and didn’t hear police announce themselves, fired a shotgun as soon as officers opened the door, striking one in the shoulder and the other in a hand, officials said. One officer returned fire, but didn’t hit anyone.

The man immediately surrendered once he realized they were police officers, officials said.

If they got a warrant on just an informant tip they need to re evaluate how they run stuff. Was this a vetted informant? How long had he been an informant and did they work to verify any of the information given? From the article it sounds like they had the correct address for the warrant but it was not an address that was involved in any criminal activity. Sounds like a judge is just rubber stamping approval for warrants, which is not good at all.

Before you serve a warrant you should know who lives there, how many occupants are inside when you're going to serve the warrant and have some basic background info on them.

Very glad the homeowner was not injured and that the chief is treating this as it should be.

Last edited:
Man, hope the guy isn't charged for this

I wouldn't want to be held accountable for my split second reaction to someone breaking down my front door

I'm sure the results of this will hinge on if they identified themselves as police clearly enough before breaking down the door and homeowner deciding if his life was in danger enough to need to use lethal force

Glad officers survived (and in a roundabout way, that he hit them well enough they weren't able to draw their own weapons and return fire and kill him)
The article answers all your, call 'em questions.

If they got a warrant on just an informant tip they need to re evaluate how they run stuff. Was this a vetted informant? How long had he been an informant and did they work to verify any of the information given? From the article it sounds like they had the correct address for the warrant but it was not an address that was involved in any criminal activity. Sounds like a judge is just rubber stamping approval for warrants, which is not good at all.

Before you serve a warrant you should know who lives there, how many occupants are inside when you're going to serve the warrant and have some basic background info on them.

Very glad the homeowner was not injured and that the chief is treating this as it should be.
I believe on the radio they said the warrant system is suspended or being reviewed in detail

EDIT : found in another article :

A confidential informant had led police to the father’s address, the chief said. “Our officers had worked to corroborate the information from that confidential informant. However, we did not draw the right conclusion.”

As a result, he said, the department will impose a moratorium on serving warrants until they’re certain each has been thoroughly vetted. Stawinski expects that moratorium to last roughly 24–48 hours and impact a “handful” of warrants.

LoL

In before someone says what a dangerous job cops have, which after some research I found out not to be true. Hell your local garbage man's job is much more dangerous than that of a cop

Not true. Cops have to clean up more social garbage every day than the physical garbage of a garbage man. Too much scum out there. Imagine all cops went on strike? It would be Mad Max in 3 hours. Total fucking Cheos.

PG usually shoot first as well. They're also a mostly black force.
Had a gf who lived near fed ex field. Always guys were being arrested in her neighborhood. Like every weekend. It's a sketchy place

LOL, this case is amazing. No more of this horseshit about not being able to shoot cops making a mistake without facing charges.

I'm really happy the cops didn't die as a result of their mistake, but I'm even happier they didn't injure the homeowner. This guy sounds like an amazing American, btw:

What a stud. Defended his life, family, and property, but didn't hold a grudge, and immediately identified the mistake. That's what gave him the best chance to survive. His behavior couldn't have been more perfect.

This is the demeanor to adopt in these situations. Pay attention, cop-haters.

A great point ruined by a narrow-minded view. To suggest that a common citizen should have the complete presence of mind in a split second situation that undoubtedly most aren't trained in is hilarious at best. He could have killed those 2 cops and I would have had zero sympathy for the Police Department given it was their fuck-up that got them there. I would give more kudos to this guy having the integrity to hold himself accountable on what happened than the Police Officers who if they shot up the homeowner in response who would more than likely try to cover their ass and blame the homeowner for what went down. I'm glad no one was killed and that homeowner is a rare one indeed but to say that everyone should react like that is really hiding on just how bad Law Enforcement can fuck up and their actions can have dire consequences because of those mistakes which often lead to cover-ups and distrust.

Explain. How many garbage men die each year as a direct result of their work?

"According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2015, there were 33 Refuse & Recyclable Material Collectors killed and 85 Police & Sheriff’s Patrol Officers killed. There are fewer garbage collectors than cops, though, so the 33 of them that were killed made for a rate of 38.8 per 100,000. The rate for cops is only around 11 per 100,000."
https://www.quora.com/Are-garbage-collectors-more-likely-to-be-killed-on-the-job-than-cops

Pdf download directly from the bureau
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjABegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw3bMj5e5f_67JdIi-doIDtZ

"To put the risk of policing in perspective: fisherman and loggers are 10 times more likely to be killed on the job than a police officer, a farmer is 2 times more likely to die on the job, according to national figures from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. A logging worker is eight times more likely than a police officer to die on the job, and a garbage man is three times more likely to die while working."

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6373798
Above article links to gov sites for further reading.

Garbage men & farmers the real heroes of society

Last edited:
Christ. I bet that guy was shitting bricks.

I foresee this gentleman having a tough time in future with law enforcement.
I foresee the cops bending over backwards to never offend this guy in the future. I'm sure they're grateful he has been this understanding.

He can sue the shit out of the city, after all. I'm sure they're keen to avoid that.

Glad to see no one was killed. How the fuck do you serve a warrant on the wrong address?

?

TangibleLameGalapagosmockingbird-small.gif

Back