Tyron Woodley - "I'm not respected by the people for being a Champion."

As a champ I respect his accomplishments. He beat the top guys of the division (older guard). However he's been boring as fuck as a champ. Fights not to lose, puts almost zero effort into finishing or putting on a show. Then he complains about why nobody wants to watch him.

Speaking for myself, I do respect him as a fighter and as a champion, I just don't like him. Don't like his personality and he's one hell of a boring fighter.

Plus, pushing for a fight with Nate was a bit weak.

Tryon was given a TS for doing nothing other than making weight and whining excessively. He put a bad taste in everyone's mouth from the start and now he wonders why people don't respect him. He's on the path to being likable now though. Although there were some serious cringe moments during that podcast.

This guy hasn't beat anybody , he sat on the shelf for 18 months before he fought Robbie lawyer who came off two 5 Rd wars with zero time off , paper champ forsure , guy isn't even fit to hold and shine gsp's belt , Nate knocked him out.

I kinda get what he's saying here, as I do think most fans LIKE fighters such as Lawler and Condit more.

But I'm not entirely convinced that it's because they don't 'respect' Woodley.

I think it's more that many fans just don't find him all that interesting as a Champion, both inside and outside the cage. He hasn't exactly been in Barn-burner types of title defenses, despite being successful.

Personally, even though I'm not a big fan, I DO respect that at least TWood remains an active champ who fights the top guys in his division, in an era where that increasingly seems to be becoming the exception, and not the rule.

What say you Sherdoggers? Does he have a point? And if so, what can he do to win fans over?

3:50

Basically,

He's confusing respect for likability.

i agree with woodley 100%.

joe was schilling so hard it was laughable.

Recognized as the champion but not respected as the champion

I hate on Woodley sometimes, but the guy has been active as shit as a champ, and been fighting number 1 contenders he isn't cherry picking, and he's a good guy, didn't take Kelvins 20 percent when he had every right to it, he seems like a genuine person

It's a weird business where the champions who defend , stay active and fight contenders receive the least amount of acclaim.
One of the biggest problems is that Dana White continues to promote the sport as a "Bloody slop fest" entertainment.

So, the fans are not able to evolve to appreaciate the "tactical" and realistic approach to fighting. For example, if an NFL running back or wide receiver develops an uncanny ability to never get hit, the people who promote the NFL are not going to throw that athlete under the bus and say "he is a pussy who makes the sport look soft."

They are going to promote that athlete as a "genius" with an uncanny ability to avoid contact. And on the flipside, the athletes who are able to truck through people are going to be promoted as "beast mode."

That creates a fan base that is able to enjoy LeVeon Bell and Marshawn Lynch without needing to disparage one player or another.

The majority of the MMA Community (from the promoter, fighters, coaches, media down to fans) can only appreciate "Bloody Slopfest" fighters. Even GSP's point fighting was tolrate because he bruised easily, and often looked like a bloody mess, even in shutout performances. Because "blood" means good fight in MMA.

Dana White either needs to change his approach or WME needs to find a better promoter, because the "bloody sloppy" fighter will become extinct as more athletes start to gravitate to the sport, and the margin of error becomes smaller and smaller.

The UFC needs to start promoting all types of styles. If a guy is a boring point fighter, then promote him as a "chess master." Make videos like "The BJJ Scout" and get other experts to talk about why that fighter is so special. Educate the fans.

If the fighter is a Bloody Sloppy Fighter, then promote him as a "barbaric savage."

By always throwing tacticians under the bus, Dana White limits the range of what the fans can consider as a "good fight." He is essentially shooting himself in the foot, because those fighters are going to generate less money.

The guy sucks as a promoter, and I believe he limits the growth of the sport. The sport would growth much faster with a better promoter.

His two fights against Thompson and Maia, bored the fuck outta me and turned me against him. Apart from that, I have no problem with Woodley.

He's almost suffering from what the Klitschko brothers suffered from in boxing for a long time.

One, they don't fight that almost reckless style that people had grown accustom to in the HW division and weren't knocking out guys left and right the way Tyson had done a generation prior and second the guys Woodley is fighting are the best in the division for him to fight now (props for him doing that BTW) but compared to past gens when the division felt like it was filled with killers even underneath of GSP....

Tyrone, I defended you many times. I think you're a great fighter and you have shown a willingness to be active and face the top contenders.

that said, when you tried to get a fight with Nate Diaz, you disrespected the sport and lost a lot of my respect. A fight like that should never even be discussed.

Back