UFC 209 PBP/discussion

What hurts me is that I could have taken Woodley at 4/1 in the 5th round, but decided against it as I thought "Wonderboys got this"

Watching the fight back (Yes I put myself through it again)it was certainly way closer than I thought.
I guess it all comes down to the second round. I havn't rewatched it but I thought it was a clear WB round, was it not? I mean there was basicly no strikes so then it comes down to octagon control which WB clearly had.

Bro, you didn't answer the question.

First of all, Thompson hurt Woodley in the 1st with a check hook. It was so fast and tight that the commentators missed it. Check it out again if you get a chance.

As for 2: In Vegas 10-10s are not given out and a winner must be chosen for each round. Thompson backed Woodley up the whole time and the strike counts slightly favored Thompson. When the striking and grappling are even, the round is supposed to be decided on "aggression" and "octagon control", both of which went to Thompson.

Yeah, Thompson "didn't do shit" in 2 but Woodley did even less. Are you saying you actually would have given the 2nd to Woodley?

When I watch MMA, I never score rounds definitively unless it's absolutely obvious. There are many rounds in fights where I look at it as "well this will likely be split among judges". Similarly with potential 10-8 rounds, I often think "well some judges may give a 10-8 there". In a fight like this, I had no clue where rounds one and two were going to be scored. Upon rewatch of round 2 only, that round I could definitely see being split. Put it this way - heading into the final round, I knew the scores were going to be interesting. I would have been very surprised if it was a clear cut three to two rounds for Thompson. I mean shit - look at the play by plays on Sherdog and MMAJunkie. You have two 49-48's for Woodley on Sherdog, one 47-47 on Sherdog, and a 48-48 on MMAJunkie.

I'm just glad the fight is over and there wasn't another draw. If you look at both of those fights, there are so many minutes of nothing happening that I'd never want to see it again. For someone like Thompson that is supposed to be such a good striker, he certainly couldn't accomplish anything very significant through 50 minutes.

I guess it all comes down to the second round. I havn't rewatched it but I thought it was a clear WB round, was it not? I mean there was basicly no strikes so then it comes down to octagon control which WB clearly had.

Thats what I thought, underlining the point that absolutely nothing happened.

That doesn't mean much. The commission will always have the judges back (at least in public).

Apparently not. Bennett openly criticized Sal d'Amato for giving Woodley a 10-8 in the 5th.

Ferg on MMA Hour saying he was pissed when he learned Khabib was eating tiramisu the week of the fight

Wheres plekz at so he can try to talk to Tony about how much of a scumbag hes being for pointing that out? :D

Ferg on MMA Hour saying he was pissed when he learned Khabib was eating tiramisu the week of the fight

Wheres plekz at so he can try to talk to Tony about how much of a scumbag hes being for pointing that out? :D
You have to tag him for him to see it, Jb @plekz

giphy.gif

Back