UFC 220 - Miocic vs Ngannou - Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think im with you but I worry about Fonts thoughness he doesn't seem to react well to getting hit. Almeida will likely tag him hard at some point.
Almeida's also chinny and starts slow as hell. Font lands hard enough, and starts quick enough that I think we could definitely see Font by early KO1. Almeida's been rocked, or looked visibly perturbed in just about all of his recent fights.

Font looked absolutely terrified against Lineker and then didn't handle the forward pressure of Munhoz. To me, those are two red flags with someone like Almeida who brings heat and moves forward.
Lineker was a huge step-up in competition for him at the time, and he went 3 hard rounds with prettymuch the best pure brawler in the UFC. I think Almeida starts too slow, is too chinny and Font's got the skills to finish him instead of letting him off the hook like Riviera did like three times.

I think im with you but I worry about Fonts thoughness he doesn't seem to react well to getting hit. Almeida will likely tag him hard at some point.
Neither reacts that well to getting hit, but I think a lot of the Munhoz finish was how quick Munhoz jumped on that guillotine. Font did go 3 rounds with Lineker, and Almeida starts so incredibly slow along with being chinny.

Almeida's also chinny and starts slow as hell. Font lands hard enough, and starts quick enough that I think we could definitely see Font by early KO1. Almeida's been rocked, or looked visibly perturbed in just about all of his recent fights.

Lineker was a huge step-up in competition for him at the time, and he went 3 hard rounds with prettymuch the best pure brawler in the UFC. I think Almeida starts too slow, is too chinny and Font's got the skills to finish him instead of letting him off the hook like Riviera did like three times.

Neither reacts that well to getting hit, but I think a lot of the Munhoz finish was how quick Munhoz jumped on that guillotine. Font did go 3 rounds with Lineker, and Almeida starts so incredibly slow along with being chinny.

Not sure I agree with Almeida being all that slow of a starter. Aside from his debut he has finished all of his wins in under 1.5 rounds.

Not sure I agree with Almeida being all that slow of a starter. Aside from his debut he has finished all of his wins in under 1.5 rounds.
Even in those fights it usually takes him the first 2-3 mins to start warming up into it.

Re-watched Font vs Munhoz. Font was doing well early on busting Munhoz up from range but Munhoz kept coming and started landing some good swinging shots. I think Munhoz stunned Font which made him shoot in. Haven't re-watched the Lineker fight but from what I remember Lineker just marched him down and beat him up for 3 rounds. I think if Almeida pressures Font he should win. He might get tagged early like he usually does but when he finds his groove Font might start getting more hesitant.

This is basically what happened. It honestly didn't even look like Font was trying to win and get offense going. He was just trying to survive and retreated a lot. Font's style in that fight plus his attitude in the Munhoz aftermath does bring a few things into question. I do think he can crack Almeida though. Almeida's basically all offense.

ige's actually pretty legit, too. doesn't have the weapons arce has, but he's a darn good grappler and no major holes anywhere

Came to the exact conclusion. Ige can strike, grind, wrestle, etc. Good pressure, pace and cardio. Not the type of fighter I am willing to lay juice against. Arce should have the advantage on the feet due to his speed and variety, but I think Ige can make this ugly.

This is basically what happened. It honestly didn't even look like Font was trying to win and get offense going. He was just trying to survive and retreated a lot. Font's style in that fight plus his attitude in the Munhoz aftermath does bring a few things into question. I do think he can crack Almeida though. Almeida's basically all offense.

I think Font’s path to victory is an early T/KO. Almeida can be cracked but he has only been finished by Cody who has great power. Rivera dropped him several times but he kept coming and did very well in the last two rounds. I think if Almeida finds his groove Font will go into survival mode.

Lineker was his third UFC fight, and a massive step-up from fighting unranked randoms to a dude who's clearly a top 6 BW, and a hard one to deal with without superlative wrestling at that.

Initially my thoughts on this fight were - Stipe would be able to get in his grill and piece Francis up with the short/straight shots he throws but the more I look at it the more I agree.

Stipes shots are straight and extremely accurate but he will never been in range of the distance and angles that Francis is able to keep....also this notion that everyone keeps mentioning like Stipe is going to be able to wrestle/hold Francis against the fence and tire him out is ridiculous lol. Stipe has NEVER been a good offensive wrestler and he won't be able to pressure/hold Francis like that.

Francis is a different animal and hes most likely going to knock his head off
This was me exactly. Pre tape i liked stipe at dog odds then i watched tape. And ive changed my mind stipes very hittable hes gonna have a very hard time taking francis down and francis can KO with both hands at different angles. I think hes gonna keep his head off the center line and KO stipe

Rewatched Abdul Razak Alhassan fight, he seemed gassed at the end of round 1, he lied down after the stoppage.

Francis' underhooks are a big problem for anyone trying wrestle with him. He's good at finding them and he's more than strong enough to hold onto them. Breaking his grip is a task to say the least as demonstrated in the blaydes and reem fights. His left underhook got him up from blaydes and doubles kept reem against the cage. Though it's worth noting that wrestling with a bjj blue belt (reem) and an NJCAA wrestler (blaydes) and completely different games than the NCAA div 1 wrestler he'll be facing in stipe. Gotta study a bit more.

Francis' underhooks are a big problem for anyone trying wrestle with him. He's good at finding them and he's more than strong enough to hold onto them. Breaking his grip is a task to say the least as demonstrated in the blaydes and reem fights. His left underhook got him up from blaydes and doubles kept reem against the cage. Though it's worth noting that wrestling with a bjj blue belt (reem) and an NJCAA wrestler (blaydes) and completely different games than the NCAA div 1 wrestler he'll be facing in stipe. Gotta study a bit more.

Reem's grappling is way above a traditional BJJ blue belt. He has 19 submission wins (same amount as knockout wins), competed and submitted all of his opponents at ADCC European Trial in 2005. Although that doesn't really matter as we didn't see his BJJ vs Ngannou.

Rewatched Abdul Razak Alhassan fight, he seemed gassed at the end of round 1, he lied down after the stoppage.
Yes!! Im very suprised at the current odds this is a coin flip

Just rewatched that too, Homasi was winning that fight, even got the better of Razak in the clinch. Both were gassed after 3 minutes but Razak looked worse, probably due to all the clinch knees he took.

Homasi +225 .5u
Homasi DEC +550 .3u

Not posted in here for a white but hoping for a debate on a couple fights I see as one way streets to money

Islam over Tibau
Tibau off the suspension and layoff, looks thin as fuck, don't bet against Russians etc etc

Dc over Volkan
And DC ITD
Volkan is so overmatched here it's not even funny easiest lock of the night
Don't even need to explain reasoning

Razak over Sabah
First fight kinda said it all really Sabah had his moments Razaks gas makes me worried though

Matt Bessette

-162 pounds few days ago, starting to cut weight from this point on. Is 156/7 already
-Was teaching when got the ufc call
-says should have got his ufc shot ages ago but never got his shot, mentioned he has been told by ufc a shot will come.
-Short notice ufc fight but was going to take another fight at CES, but then got ufc call so is prepared and ready.
-has been studying barzola past year, says has solid wins in ufc suggest he has holes in his game
and he plans on drowning him, plans to stuff his take downs and will pop back up and make him pay.
Will box when he can and take advantage as he always does.
-wrestling more this camp, ji jitsu classes. Was preparing for a wrestler for his CES fight.
-says he is in shape, close to home for this fight, 3rd fight of night and 3 is his lucky number.
-will have his striking coach, wrestling coach, ji jitsu guy in his corner.

Reem's grappling is way above a traditional BJJ blue belt. He has 19 submission wins (same amount as knockout wins), competed and submitted all of his opponents at ADCC European Trial in 2005. Although that doesn't really matter as we didn't see his BJJ vs Ngannou.
Interesting. Thanks for the input. I'll have to see if I can find footage.

Kyle Bochniak

-was unable to get fight sooner but now its come
-Cross trains with top talent, coach has contacts
-had injuries last camp and was short notice, went back to training to fix holes in his game
-full camp this time, has his experience in ufc now
-can expect good performance for 3 rounds
-says brandon is also a striker so he will shine, will let them fly on the night.
-mixed up training with MT strikers, cross trained at lauzons, pushing hard and staying healthy
-weight cut is easy for him since he eats clean
-plans on biting down and what goes down happens against brandon

Julio Arce

-Tried to make a push for ufc when he heard rosa was out but kept training and teaching mma
-got the ufc call and fight less then 2 weeks ago
-happy after dwcs fight, but kept training and hoping he would get the shot
-discusses team mates jimmi riveras twitter/mess with his last fight
-shane burgos is his team mate and training partner
-done boxing and kickboxing at garden (think its an mma promotion?)
-says Ige comes forward, ready to fight says the match up is good but is very happy, confident.
-been staying in shape so conditioning no issue, says weight cut is going well he is 6 pounds off.
-working with burgos, jimi rivera, upcommers who are undefeated.
-not sure how it goes down, but excited for the fight says enjoys the fight aspect always.
-says brian kelleher(ufc fighter) gave him his 2 only losses but it was at 135 and the cut too much, he performs and fights better at 145 so not concerned with rematch with him but don't mind.

Ngannou - stipe always gets hit in his fights and rarely uses wrestling. I don’t see this changing. Ngannou still has to show he can handle good grapplers and can take a punch, but I think he gets it done again in impressive form.

Almeida - I agree in the thoughts on font. I think he will retreat to almeidas pressure. Almeida will take shots to land his own and that pressure does not bode well for font

Homasi- I think he was starting to take over the last fight but just at these odds warrant a play. I think it’s 50/50 at worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back