EzFlyer

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
http://www.sherdog.com/events/UFC-222-Holloway-vs-Edgar-63771

bfcWZt8eRqO1kbh4duoWaA.png

Can't wait to fade O'Malley

The 2 womens fights on this card are actually really hype too

Struve Arlovski as co main? Is this 2012?

Max Holloway is injured, the fight is off

what are the odds on caraway to cluck and duck?

So Ortega Edgar for the interim?

I guess that's the thing now, if a champ gets injured even once, you gotta have an interim title fight. You could have Frankie/Ortega as a headliner and eliminator bout without making it for the interim title. Still 5 rounds, nothing changes. I get that Frankie had already "earned" his shot or whatever, but he's held titles before and is in the twilight of his career. He's a guy who most likely wouldn't throw a fit if they wanted him to fight one more time with no title on the line. If he's deserving of the shot, he beats T City. If he loses that fight, Ortega has earned his shot.

Kind of a pointless rant I guess by me ha ha. It's not like interim titles are ruining the sport or anything. Just seems so pointless here. Holloway gets hurt once and has to postpone a defense and now we need an interim champ?

So Ortega Edgar for the interim?
Thats dumb as hell, this interim belt bullshit needs to end. Max just defended in December and Ortega has earned a shot at the REAL belt.

I get that Frankie had already "earned" his shot or whatever
He hasnt earned it, he's just the only guy Max hasnt fought after destroying the rest of the division.

Its laughable he gets the title shot on the back of beating Yair and Stephens.

Thats dumb as hell, this interim belt bullshit needs to end. Max just defended in December and Ortega has earned a shot at the REAL belt.

Well as much as I agree I think it’s safe to say that they will create a belt for this PPV, and it’s probably gonna be a FW. Which is insane, but how they roll.

He hasnt earned it, he's just the only guy Max hasnt fought after destroying the rest of the division.

Its laughable he gets the title shot on the back of beating Yair and Stephens.

I put "earned" in quotes, that's **sort of** why. Is Frankie still most likely among the best FW's out there? Yeah, probably. Does he "deserve" the shot over T City based on recent activity? Probably not. The point I was making is that Frankie was already given the shot, it was scheduled. So he "earned it" according UFC brass. Now that the fight is off, it's not unreasonable to have him fight the other guy who's clearly in the mix (Ortega) but without a title on the line. Max fights the winner for the title.

I put "earned" in quotes, that's **sort of** why. Is Frankie still most likely among the best FW's out there? Yeah, probably. Does he "deserve" the shot over T City based on recent activity? Probably not. The point I was making is that Frankie was already given the shot, it was scheduled. So he "earned it" according UFC brass. Now that the fight is off, it's not unreasonable to have him fight the other guy who's clearly in the mix (Ortega) but without a title on the line. Max fights the winner for the title.

Why should Ortega risk a guaranteed TS and his undefeated record on short notice against Frankie when its not even for a real belt?

Ortega's smart, n way he risks this.

Why should Ortega risk a guaranteed TS and his undefeated record on short notice against Frankie when its not even for a real belt?

Ortega's smart, n way he risks this.

Depends on the mindset. There's positives and negatives to both. He has 4 weeks. Shorter camp, yeah. So obviously would depend on what kind of shape he's in. And if he wants to fight sooner rather than later. He could wait, but the UFC already had Frankie scheduled for the title shot. So now T City is waiting for Max to heal, then fight Frankie, THEN he gets his shot. Depending on the severity of Max's injury, you could be looking at the end of 2018. Does Ortega want to sit that long? Maybe, maybe not. Making this fight for the interim belt doesn't make it for a "real" belt either (you and I agree, everyone knows Max is the champ). So Ortega can take this fight on relatively short notice, still headline the card, and earn a paycheck (and get the title shot with a win). Or he can sit and wait for his shot. I'm not saying one way is clearly better than the other. Depends completely on how Ortega views it honestly.

Making this fight for the interim belt doesn't make it for a "real" belt either
<mma4>
So Ortega can take this fight on relatively short notice, still headline the card, and earn a paycheck (and get the title shot with a win).
Thats the thing though, he'd earn more fighting for the real belt, and if he does beat Max (that's a big if), he gets PPV points plus a higher Reebok sponsorship payment + a shot at being included in the history books as the 4th UFC FW champ. Its a huge gamble for a small reward fighting Frankie here risking all of the above for lesser pay and on short notice.

I think they will cancel the PPV and make it a regular fight night.

<mma4>

Thats the thing though, he'd earn more fighting for the real belt, and if he does beat Max (that's a big if), he gets PPV points plus a higher Reebok sponsorship payment + a shot at being included in the history books as the 4th UFC FW champ. Its a huge gamble for a small reward fighting Frankie here risking all of the above for lesser pay and on short notice.

Yeah and you could for sure be right. I don't know exactly how the $ works out. I guess I'm just saying he could be sidelined for quite awhile waiting, and he might not want to sit that long.

Rumor is TJ Cody as new ME. This sport is a joke.

How bout Edgar Vs Aldo 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back