UFC and MMA weight cutting - question to people who have done a water cut

Wariowokecancel

You can cancel but you can’t wake
@Gold
Reaction score
I know how bad I feel after dehydrating even a small amount of water (and or going into ketosis) and wonder if fighters actually get back to 100% physical and mental state even if they rehydrate back to their pre cut weight. If not, then they are fucking themselves. A pound or three seems not as important as being 100%.

I think fight gassing might be very strongly linked to weight cuts - during a fight the dude starts sweating very profusely and his body might go into panic mode remembering what happened just a day ago.

I know there are dudes here who have fought in amateur fights, wrestled or just done a weight cut for fun (there is definitely one dude) - how do you feel after rehydrating, carbing up and having a sleep? Is the UFC fucking up the quality of fights in order to let fighters play this dangerous game?

I keep asking myself the same question. To anybody who ever experienced keto flu, imagine having to fight with it. Tough.

The very first time I tried a water cut I got sick everywhere.

Body just wasn't used to being so deprived. It's fucking hell.

I felt good to go , I cut 17 pounds in a 36 hour window albeit it was 297-280 so the weight sheds a lot easier but I was pretty damn dehydrated. My vitals actually did show signs of dehydration but I played it off like I was surprised said I didn’t really cut much weight so he didn’t really get too concerned. Got me a Gatorade recovery and a couple waters, waited till I felt hungry and ate a nice steak with a salad and felt great in the morning.

I have done an alcohol cut.

You feel fine after you get some food and electrolytes in you

Ive been having same day morning weigh ins lately where i cut around 6 lb/2.5 kg evening before and never experienced something like this.

I know how bad I feel after dehydrating even a small amount of water (and or going into ketosis) and wonder if fighters actually get back to 100% physical and mental state even if they rehydrate back to their pre cut weight. If not, then they are fucking themselves. A pound or three seems not as important as being 100%.

I think fight gassing might be very strongly linked to weight cuts - during a fight the dude starts sweating very profusely and his body might go into panic mode remembering what happened just a day ago.

I know there are dudes here who have fought in amateur fights, wrestled or just done a weight cut for fun (there is definitely one dude) - how do you feel after rehydrating, carbing up and having a sleep? Is the UFC fucking up the quality of fights in order to let fighters play this dangerous game?

When I wrestled, I regularly cut about 7-10lbs per match... And had about 1-2 matches per week.

It's hell. You have to train to lose water weight, drink a minimum amount of water and food, if at all, try to sleep, starve the next day, wear a sauna suit the whole day and do laps until you finally make weight ... Then you wrestle for your life 3 hours later.

Even after you drink and eat you don't feel well. You feel better, but not well. I was young too so none of us were really keen on the science of it either .. Thinking back on it, I wonder how I survived 6 years of it

When I wrestled, I regularly cut about 7-10lbs per match... And had about 1-2 matches per week.

It's hell. You have to train to lose water weight, drink a minimum amount of water and food, if at all, try to sleep, starve the next day, wear a sauna suit the whole day and do laps until you finally make weight ... Then you wrestle for your life 3 hours later.

Even after you drink and eat you don't feel well. You feel better, but not well. I was young too so none of us were really keen on the science of it either .. Thinking back on it, I wonder how I survived 6 years of it

Do you think it affects your endurance?

Why do it in the first place then?

When I started wrestling in high school I didn't cut any weight in my first year. 2nd year our coach wanted me to cut about 5-6lbs so I could go down a weight class, that lasted about a month. Let's just say it sucked balls and my performance dropped off a fair amount. Sure I no longer had a size disadvantage, but I felt like crap during the meets and I didn't place any better than I did when I was fighting up a weight class. Main problem was I felt tired and kept having brain farts & making poor decisions.

After that I had a talk with the coach and was like "well, I'm not doing any better so just let me fight at my natural weight where I feel good". He was cool with that so I wrestled at my walk-around weight or cut a pound or 2 at most.

The UFC isn't doing anything wrong.

Fighters and wrestlers feel great after rehydrating, carbing up and having a sleep.

I wrestled 5 WC's in one year, making weight the day of matches. I was growing. I was unable to make (and did not attempt) the lightest two WC's that I made earlier in the season by the end of the season. Maintaining an 18 pound 3 WC range was absolutely no challenge for me.

In competition power-lifting, the opposite I found to be true. Cutting weight was extremely adverse and being on weight for 3+ days before the lift was paramount to your top performance!

Any level of dehydration impacts endurance... that's proven science. Running here in the desert, I'll lose 10+ pounds on a summer run. Salts, minerals, re-hydrate and do it again the next day. But if you don't re-hydrate properly from even a 10 lbs water loss, you feel like absolute garbage. Would suck to drop 20-25(+ !!) lbs like these guys are doing. I don't know how you can recover from that in a day without IV's.

You feel better after hydration and food but never 100% in my experience.

Maybe 80-85%. I was cutting for judo, roughly 7 lbs with no body fat to help make the cut better. I have no idea how guys like Till, McG, rumble, etc... can cut 25+ lbs.

Back