UFC and racial protests

OneToeKO

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
The NFL has seen the national anthem protest become a huge outlet for black athletes displaying their displeasure with the state of affairs in this country.

Will the UFC ever experience something similar? Obviously there is no national anthem, but I could see Woodley maybe taking a knee and refusing to enter the octagon.

870280.gif

The NFL has seen the national anthem protest become a huge outlet for black athletes displaying their displeasure with the state of affairs in this country.

Will the UFC ever experience something similar? Obviously there is no national anthem, but I could see Woodley maybe taking a knee and refusing to enter the octagon.

He already tried that against Maia...

Maybe we'll hear something in a post-fight speech coming up, but it wouldn't be a good move. Assuming that fans need to be told that all races deserve equality tends to irritate people quicker than anything.

haha refusing to enter the octagon?

As someone who was present live for Yoel's "NO FOR GAY JESUS" I can tell you that UFC crowds hate political statements during events. It would not go over well for Tyron.

Woodley would go through a whole training camp, paying expenses, cut weight, most like be the main event or co main, then get to the cage and refuse to enter?<23>

So instead of the Wasteland, the Heavies is dumping it's refuse in the WR now?

I joke, I kid.

Award the opponent a win by default.......

Easier in team sports where they just blend in once the game starts.

Far more awkward in a one-on-one fight where you have your own fanbase to potentially alienate, your opponent may be another race and it may be perceived as hatred towards them, etc.

I'm sure we will still see it though. Some of these dudes aren't very bright.

If he refuses to enter the octagon he should be terminated right on the spot in front of everybody and then see who else wants to play silly games

I don't see how 1 on 1 fights can get anymore racist. The facts stand as they are.

As someone who was present live for Yoel's "NO FOR GAY JESUS" I can tell you that UFC crowds hate political statements during events. It would not go over well for Tyron.
I can't believe anyone believes Yoel really said that.

Sports and politics should stay seperate, IMO. People don't go to sports shows for political lectures.

Sports and politics should stay seperate, IMO. People don't go to sports shows for political lectures.
Not true. Sports has always historically been an outlet/mouthpiece/driving force behind social change.

From Jack Johnson to Jackie Robinson to Ali to Warren Moon to contemporary times.

Back