UFC and racial protests

Fuck i hope not. Just fight get your shitty Rebook money and post you political views to your twitter that I don't have and therefore do not follow

Not true. Sports has always historically been an outlet/mouthpiece/driving force behind social change.

From Jack Johnson to Jackie Robinson to Ali to Warren Moon to contemporary times.
We aren't in the times of Johnson, Ali, or Robinson. Back then, what they stood for was righteous and made sense. Today, it comes across as trying to score virtue points, and I can't see anyone on the roster actually giving us something new to talk about.

The NFL has seen the national anthem protest become a huge outlet for black athletes displaying their displeasure with the state of affairs in this country.

Will the UFC ever experience something similar? Obviously there is no national anthem, but I could see Woodley maybe taking a knee and refusing to enter the octagon.
Woodley has made comments strongly pandering to the anti-authority crowds, but it isn't clear if he genuinely believes them (he made comments relatively early back in 2015 strongly condemning anti-police rioters around his hometown of Ferguson) or if he is using the controversy to fashion himself as a "villain" since #BLM is widely unpopular among the demographic of MMA fans. It could just be smart. He knows he doesn't have the charisma or fighting style to be a hero of the people like Conor.

Better to be a villain like Brock. It could shore up a strong non-white Demographic for him. After all, just look at how the color line is dividing Conor vs. Floyd. I tend to take things at face value, but I think Tyron may just be an incredibly astute businessman.

Last edited:
870280.gif
LMFAO, I haven't seen this GIF in so long. I need to go to the Heavies a bit more.

Don't even like the Cowboys but Jerry Jones is the man
sport-cowboys-jerry-jones-to-players-stand-for-the-anthem-27086822.png
I have no huge issue with an individual wanting to use the platform they are on to make a religious or political statement. It's natural to want to say something about what matters to you. Some of the stuff they say I agree with and some I don't.

But on the NFL and individual teams' part, it's incredibly stupid to let your games become political and religious platforms. Newsflash, NFL ratings haven't been stellar. They might well be looking at less when they sign their next big TV contract next year. Some of that is because fans are getting chafed by the political gestures of people who don't even vote.

Save that bullshit for Twitter and don't wear anti-cop socks to the games. Every team owner should follow suit with Jerry Jones.

I have no huge issue with an individual wanting to use the platform they are on to make a religious or political statement. It's natural to want to say something about what matters to you. Some of the stuff they say I agree with and some I don't.

But on the NFL and individual teams' part, it's incredibly stupid to let your games become political and religious platforms. Newsflash, NFL ratings haven't been stellar. They might well be looking at less when they sign their next big TV contract next year. Some of that is because fans are getting chafed by the political gestures of people who don't even vote.

Save that bullshit for Twitter and don't wear anti-cop socks to the games. Every team owner should follow suit with Jerry Jones.
Nobody is bigger than the team..

I am a huge Barry Sanders fan but I would have said fuck him if he took a knee....

Remember when the Broncos would salute after every touchdown?

I dug the hell out that shit.

Woodley has made comments strongly pandering to the anti-authority crowds, but it isn't clear if he genuinely believes them (he made comments relatively early back in 2015 strongly condemning anti-police rioters around his hometown of Ferguson) or if he is using the controversy to fashion himself as a "villain" since #BLM is widely unpopular among the demographic of MMA fans. It could just be smart. He knows he doesn't have the charisma or fighting style to be a hero of the people like Conor.

Better to be a villain like Brock. It could shore up a strong non-white Demographic for him. After all, just look at how the color line is dividing Conor vs. Floyd. I tend to take things at face value, but I think Tyron may just be an incredibly astute businessman.
Conor is a hero?

Gosh, probably a good thing that I fell away from mma fandom in the last year or two.

doubt it
most don't get paid much, and they have to perform and win to get full earnings

I would pay 100 per ppv if Jon Jones decided to come out as BLM
and went on a thousand fight win streak.

Weidman already took a knee from Yoel

Back