UFC fans the new Hooligans?

I can classify myself as a MMA hater (one thing myself and the boxing community seem to have in common). I have been doing muay thai before MMA came out, I viewed training MMA as a backstab to MT. MMA quickly overtook MT, and no one wants pure MT, they want MT for MMA. I think you will find that most MT guys are not fans of MMA. I am friends with many MMA fighters both pro and amateur, I train with them, etc. I am just not a fan of the sport and have zero interest in competing in it. I will do lethwei before I do MT. I can say that I think.........I would like to give lethwei a shot if I get the chance. I like it, but it is very brutal, the element of fear etc to fight in that has got to be insane. also my reference to the affliction creators actions of a grown man trying to start a fight with a gay kid speaks volumes in regards to douchebag behavior. He got mad the gay kid was trying to sweep him during MT clinch training and was all "like wassup bro I know BJJ to wassup!" that instant amongst many others made my opinion of him as douchebag meat head wanna be tuff guy. Grown men fighting kids isnt cool. Grown men fighting gay kids isnt cool.

The MMA community overall I think can promote a lot of dogma in its culture. Like the entire "90 percent or the majority of fights end up on the ground." How many fights would you even have to see to determine a statistic like that is true? This promotes what? The learning of BJJ. People can't understand it's a marketing scheme to get you in the door.

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about BJJ, but when people tell me about their BJJ accolades I start to lose respect. BJJ is awesome, but they largely are using the name to bolster their credibility. They kind of remind me of the guys who'd get into an argument back in the day, and tell you about how they know karate. lol.

I've had guys tell me they do MMA, and you look at them and you know it's not true. Just like BJJ it's a way to bolster their credibility. The guys don't even look like fighters. They don't even look like they condition.

In any case, that's too bad about the affliction guy. Why are you trying to impose yourself on a kid? Wow.

By the way, what is lethwei? Is it like bare knuckle MT?

I think you find those douchebag bro types in just about every major sport.. Mix testosterone and alcohol and you get this:

I'm from the 949 in south oc. I work in LA sometimes.

the OC bro is a relative of the 909 bro. Just replace dirtbiking with surfing.

You are right you will get that in all sports.........football is another one where everyone thinks they are a gangster because they are wearing a football jersey. I will stand by my statement, obviously not all MMA fans are like this, but out of all the sports that attract idiots, MMA brings alot. There are alot more ppl walking around all hard looking to pick fights at the MMA shows than the MT shows for damn sure. Our local muay thai event has recently started combining MMA fights, my immediate reaction was fuuuuuck! now were gonna have a ton of idiots in the crowd.

this is a great one

The MMA community overall I think can promote a lot of dogma in its culture. Like the entire "90 percent or the majority of fights end up on the ground." How many fights would you even have to see to determine a statistic like that is true? This promotes what? The learning of BJJ. People can't understand it's a marketing scheme to get you in the door.

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about BJJ, but when people tell me about their BJJ accolades I start to lose respect. BJJ is awesome, but they largely are using the name to bolster their credibility. They kind of remind me of the guys who'd get into an argument back in the day, and tell you about how they know karate. lol.

I've had guys tell me they do MMA, and you look at them and you know it's not true. Just like BJJ it's a way to bolster their credibility. The guys don't even look like fighters. They don't even look like they condition.

In any case, that's too bad about the affliction guy. Why are you trying to impose yourself on a kid? Wow.

By the way, what is lethwei? Is it like bare knuckle MT?

bareknuckle MT + headbutts is what lethwei is, google it up, you can find the rules etc quite easily.

I used to race motocross, just like most SRH bros are not motocross athletes. Same goes for MMA bros, BJJ bros, etc. etc.

poser motocrosser
n516988006_1144023_1851.jpg

MX athlete

s780_117510310_1229494609.jpg

much like i did MT before MMA was "invented"

I also raced motocross before FMX was invented. My old childhood riding buddy actually went on to become one of the founders of the metal mulisha, threw it all away to drugs and the lifestyle that came with it.

bareknuckle MT + headbutts is what lethwei is, google it up, you can find the rules etc quite easily.

I used to race motocross, just like most SRH bros are not motocross athletes. Same goes for MMA bros, BJJ bros, etc. etc.

poser motocrosser
n516988006_1144023_1851.jpg

MX athlete

s780_117510310_1229494609.jpg

much like i did MT before MMA was "invented"

I also raced motocross before FMX was invented. My old childhood riding buddy actually went on to become one of the founders of the metal mulisha, threw it all away to drugs and the lifestyle that came with it.

Lol. That's cool that you've tried quite a few things. Sorry about your friend. I don't know if it is this way where you are but where I'm at everybody knows everybody or is one person removed from knowing you in the fight community. That goes for boxing, BJJ, and MMA.

My friend is a two time regional boxing champ, he just got robbed at nationals this weekend smh. He grew up with Kevin Lee's brother Keith. He has both of them in his phone. He doesn't even follow MMA but I was talking about him and Tony Ferguson's fight that was coming up at the time, and he said I should give them a call.

I actually got some training in at James Toney's home gym, and met the guy in person several times. As far as the more local fighters, everybody knows everybody across the board or you're one person removed. I don't know why people try to fake the funk, you can be verified.

I don't know my friend. But yes, UFC fans need to get it together. I think they've been shown a lot of leniency but the world is starting to become apprehensive after this last string of events.

I can classify myself as a MMA hater (one thing myself and the boxing community seem to have in common). I have been doing muay thai before MMA came out, I viewed training MMA as a backstab to MT. MMA quickly overtook MT, and no one wants pure MT, they want MT for MMA. I think you will find that most MT guys are not fans of MMA. I am friends with many MMA fighters both pro and amateur, I train with them, etc. I am just not a fan of the sport and have zero interest in competing in it. I will do lethwei before I do MT. I can say that I think.........I would like to give lethwei a shot if I get the chance. I like it, but it is very brutal, the element of fear etc to fight in that has got to be insane. also my reference to the affliction creators actions of a grown man trying to start a fight with a gay kid speaks volumes in regards to douchebag behavior. He got mad the gay kid was trying to sweep him during MT clinch training and was all "like wassup bro I know BJJ to wassup!" that instant amongst many others made my opinion of him as douchebag meat head wanna be tuff guy. Grown men fighting kids isnt cool. Grown men fighting gay kids isnt cool.
Its a purist thing that irks people when it comes to jack-of-the-trades-master-of-none arrangement

While striking is my base, I do like MMA more as that's what started me on the whole journey. I do cringe when I hear the commentators say ignorant stuff like clinching in MT is limited compared to XYZ. While their knowledge is only about the "plum" (double collar) when in fact clinching is a whole another beast. So my issue lies with the ignorance. As for trashy fans, that's going to happen in all sports. I hate that shit, seen soccer fans put on "war paint" and go on dissing another stranger cause they wore a rival team's jersey "WE FUCKED YOU UP BUD!", you didn't do no fucking, there's no we, the team won, not you. You're just a guy who works a 9-5 making 40k and acting like you're part of something because the players happen to be contracted to a team based in "your city". Hell, the players probably aren't even from your city anyways.

But despite this, I will say that MT happens to be the only discipline that is very snobbish on technique. Guy does a shitty sweep because the opponent didn't put his weight in well, and got finished with GnP... BJJ claims credit for it and hands the guy a black belt. Shitty slip and ugly overhand right, boxing claims it. Guy wins with a middle kick but the form's a bit off "That shit isn't muay thai, that's dutch KB aka Karate stuff. GTFO". Clinch is a bit loose, but he hammered knees in "that's not MT, I dunno what that abomination is".

On a related note I am seeing a bunch of causal fans trying to act better than other fans because they heard one thing about cutting weight. Still in the same boat, but act like they're special. Had one call me a causal because I said people who fight on TUF/contender are pros, the guy said pros = UFC fighers, non-UFC = ammy. lol

Lots of so called MMA fans are actually UFC fans, ask them to bring up a name outside of UFC or hell ask them to bring up a name of a guy who's not a popular fighter, and they won't have an answer.

@shincheckin

Came across this video, and it made me think of this discussion. Tune in specifically at about 13 minutes in. He makes the comparison to soccer. I understand it happens in other sports but it seems that soccer fans are popularly known for it.

@shincheckin

Came across this video, and it made me think of this discussion. Tune in specifically at about 13 minutes in. He makes the comparison to soccer. I understand it happens in other sports but it seems that soccer fans are popularly known for it.

lol yeah dude, were you unaware of that? they are called "hooligans" its a big thing over in europe

lol yeah dude, were you unaware of that? they are called "hooligans" its a big thing over in europe

Honestly I thought hooligan was synonymous with hoodlum. I had no idea it was a designated term for soccer fans in Europe. lol

Honestly I thought hooligan was synonymous with hoodlum. I had no idea it was a designated term for soccer fans in Europe. lol

yeah these hooligans are like gangs, its a whole subculture, the guys litterally go to soccer games prepared for big huge gang fights. Damn dude, your "Murican" as fuck lol. Check out whats going on in the rest of the world, less fox and more BBC

yeah these hooligans are like gangs, its a whole subculture, the guys litterally go to soccer games prepared for big huge gang fights. Damn dude, your "Murican" as fuck lol. Check out whats going on in the rest of the world, less fox and more BBC

Lol. I lived overseas for a couple of years. Having to track the relations between China, DPRK, Japan, and others on a day to day was enough for me. I had to do that because of the territory dispute over the South China Sea. Also, had to keep up with the tensions between North, and South Korea. Now that I'm back in CONUS I just live my local life. I don't too much watch the news, unless it's in the surrounding area. It gets to be tiresome after awhile.

Last edited:
New? Lol, been hooligans since '95

I agree that MMA fans can be quite annoying and unlike a lot of other sports they come in many variaties of annoyance.

Die hard MMA Nerds, think they are too cool to be fans of other sports.

Bjj nerds, always talking about how crappy bjj in MMA is and how if fighter X would have just done X technique correctly or use Y variation instead he could have won the fight.

Boxing/KB/MT fans/fighters, always talking about the low level of striking in MMA and how if fighter X stepped into the ammy ring against a real striker they would get smoked.

Tapout/affliction Bros, no explanation needed.

Jocks/former jocks, always critiquing "athletic levels" in MMA or talking about how they could crush lower weight classes in a street scrap

Body builders, always critiquing physiques as if that has some kind of bearing on fighting ability.

The list goes on and on really.

Check out 'Green Street Hooligans' for a movie about the soccer army culture.

Body builders, always critiquing physiques as if that has some kind of bearing on fighting ability.

But it does, can't be an all time GOAT if you don't have the guns that turn on nuns

The combat sports community in general can be annoying. I think a lot of them are insecure, fighters and fans included. There are only a couple I can stomach listening too for more than 5 minutes.

I really like listening to old timers like Rickson Gracie, and Bruce Lee.

Tony Ferguson and GSP are cool too from today's roster. They drop gems. I've never met fans of theirs that annoy me. Ferguson's fans are usually 10th Planet guys who are super laid back. GSP fans are usually older and more mature.

Certain fighters attract a certain crowd. Some of them act like hooligans.

I would have to say this is very true. IF the leader of the pack is an idiot then so are his followers, plain and simple...

I agree that MMA fans can be quite annoying and unlike a lot of other sports they come in many variaties of annoyance.

Die hard MMA Nerds, think they are too cool to be fans of other sports.

Bjj nerds, always talking about how crappy bjj in MMA is and how if fighter X would have just done X technique correctly or use Y variation instead he could have won the fight.

Boxing/KB/MT fans/fighters, always talking about the low level of striking in MMA and how if fighter X stepped into the ammy ring against a real striker they would get smoked.

Tapout/affliction Bros, no explanation needed.

Jocks/former jocks, always critiquing "athletic levels" in MMA or talking about how they could crush lower weight classes in a street scrap

holy smokes batman someone hit the nail on the head!

{<redford}

Please no BBC, it's basically left wing, they like to go on about equality but the vast majority of the corporation is run by old upper middle class white men........ It's definitely not impartial........

Back