UFC fight night 138

after reviewing taleb and Strickland, I am so freaking confused

my assessment of taleb
1) good cardio (3 rounds no problem)
2) poor grappling (sucks at grappling but attempts take down, poor ground and pound)
3) decent striking
4) good defense
5) has some KO power

my assessment of Strickland
1) good cardio
2) point fighter (no risky moves)
2) poor grappling but great at escaping
3) good striking (not damaging tho)
4) some defense

this seems like such a close fight. I want to say taleb will win but Strickland is so good at racking points. anyone wanna share their thoughts?

Taleb Strickland probably goes the distance and the result depends on how aggressive Strictland is. If he moves forward, closing the distance and not give Taleb room to throw his leg kicks, i think Strickland will win a close fight. If he's lay back and fight at long distance like he did in the past, hes probably gonna lose a close decision, esp this fight being in Canada, u might get some hometown cooking.

Lol, true. Bhullar threw 35 strikes during first two rounds, took Henrique down and rested the rest of the R2 on top of him. Henrique threw twice as much R1-2 and had cardio to outland Bhullar 2:1 in the third. Bhullar will be in trouble in R3 unless he's changed up his game. Even if Golm needs to wrestle so much that he'll lose power in his hands like happened against Johnson there's a good chance he'll take Bhullar out with clinch knees he hit Johnson with or kicks his legs out and gets a tko on ground. Bhullar's chin has not been tested, we don't know how he fights off his back and he does not like low kicks at all.

I just got around to watching tape on this fight today and I can't believe all you guys got Golm around +175-+180, I just took him for a unit at +130.

Bhullar is a boxer/wrestler. I almost feel he tries to implement his style after Daniel Cormier. He has a good jab and follows up a with a cross and good head movement but like a lot of heavyweights just moves forward, doesn't circle out and cut angles so he is pretty stationary fighter that comes forward and is open to getting hit with leg kicks. With his wrestling pedigree, he should look to wrestle more but he prefers to box more than wrestle and doesn't have a grinding style like Timothy Johnson. He is not very athletic and doesn't carry power to knock someone out, so his most likely path to victory is a decision.

Golm for a heavyweight has some pretty good standup, clean technique offensively and defensively. Good hands and leg kicks but you didn't really see it in the Timothy Johnson fight because of Johnson trying to grind him down and him being southpaw and circling out and using weird looks and not giving Golm any distance to work but it's in the upper echelon for a heavyweight. If Bhullar plans to box with Golm for a prolonged period of time before he goes for a takedown, I think he gets battered on the feet. Golm's striking is too diverse, I think he will be quicker to the punch and Bhullar's is still really green with his striking. For a guy with Bhullar's athleticism, he has done pretty well for himself but if he doesn't try and grind Golm down, he will lose the longer it stays on the feet. Golm did pretty well against Johnson's grinding style.

Only concern I have as a Golm bettor is will Bhullar look a lot better having trained at AKA even though it was only for a few weeks. If you want the best training for a heavyweight, that's the place you want to go to.

Managed to get Golm ITD at +270 and pounded it for $150.

Either I just make a great bet or I wasted 150 bucks. :eek:

Only concern I have as a Golm bettor is will Bhullar look a lot better having trained at AKA even though it was only for a few weeks. If you want the best training for a heavyweight, that's the place you want to go to.
He's been at AKA for more than this camp.
Article from before UFC 215 - “WHEN I MADE THE SWITCH TO MMA I HOOKED UP WITH AMERICAN KICKBOXING ACADEMY IN SAN JOSE, AND I STARTED SPLITTING TIME BETWEEN AKA AND VANCOUVER. AKA HAS A PROVEN TRACK RECORD OF TURNING WORLD CLASS WRESTLERS INTO WORLD CLASS FIGHTERS, ESPECIALLY AT THE HEAVIER WEIGHTS. AND I HAD A GOOD CONNECTION WITH A LOT OF THE WRESTLERS ALREADY THERE, SO EVERYTHING LINED UP FOR ME”

Man... the more I think about it the more I think I should not bet on Smith vs Oezdemir. It's a 50/50 pick'em fight. Volkan being obviously the higher ranked fella here and has some impressive feats but there are some points to consider:
  • Volkan has no ground game, proven
  • Volkan gas tank is very doubtable
  • Smith has improved a lot
They share their strengths in the same areas. ughh... Michael Johnson is 100% safe bet but nothing else really catches my attention here.

Smith vz Oezdemir ITD is 1.11 odds - not worthy of betting at all.

Patrick Cummins as a five-to-one underdog looks like a potential value bet?
and Gian Villante shouldn't be a three-to-one favorite over anybody being 1-3 in his last four.

Any info on Haqparast ground game skills?
If Smith is 50/50 in your opinion, then he is a must bet at +150, no?

I just hit it at +314 on 5Dimes.

I'm contemplating another bet on it. Really like the line. I just think Golm has such a more diverse set of striking abilities than the standard Bhullar, with real power in his punches to boot. His jab might be my favorite asset of his, even in his fights that didn't go along he really stabs you in the face with that punch.

I just placed my bet on volkan. after watching their tape, here is my assessment

my assessment of volkan
1) super aggressive (he creates critical moments unexpectedly)
2) gas tank is fair (1st round strong/2nd round fair/ 3rd round fair)
3) strong defense
4) good at escaping ground
5) deadly punch

His gas tank is horrendous. Volkan is completely tired, with a huge decrease in speed and strength, by the very beginning of round 2. By the end of round 2, he can barely throw punches. And his defense is very spotty; he has some defensive capabilities, including covering up nicely with his hands, but can definitely be hit and doesn't utilize a lot of defensive movement either laterally or with his head. Has a bad tendency to go straight back when being attacked. Also gets caught with telegraphed strikes. Occasionally, he also throws naked leg kicks where the straight right counter is obvious.

On a practical level, no one with good defense would be hit so easily or flush by Anundson or Vakhaev.

My prediction is
Volkan by KO in 2nd round

Volkan either wins by 1st round KO or loses. Any other result is unlikely.

Golm just turned 26, added 8 pounds since his last fight, looks like all muscle from seeing his weigh in. He has also been training wrestling at ATT for the last 8 months, and his defense wasn't THAT bad for Johnson. He didn't get taken down once and IMO won round 2.

Bhullar OTOH is not going to improve much at 32 years old, definitely the inferior athlete, worse finisher, and something must be wrong with him to get omoplata'd by Wieczorek. Chris Heatherly is the only other guy to lose by omoplata in UFC, and he was otherwise terrible.

Overall Bhullar is 1-1 against two bad fighters with a narrow decision win and a loss where he got finished in embarrassing fashion, Golm is definitely his toughest test yet, and he should not be favored. Colombo is a can, but Golm dominated that fight and his loss vs Johnson wasn't terrible. It wasn't much worse than Volkov's fight vs Johnson, and look what Volkov has done to the HW division since then.

I'm contemplating another bet on it. Really like the line. I just think Golm has such a more diverse set of striking abilities than the standard Bhullar, with real power in his punches to boot. His jab might be my favorite asset of his, even in his fights that didn't go along he really stabs you in the face with that punch.

It's a good spot. If Bhullar is dumb enough to get Omoplata'd by Wieczorek who couldn't even finished washed up Anthony Hamilton, he can definitely get finished by a young, improving, and diverse finisher like Golm.

Aside from his KO power, Golm also started off training BJJ and we've seen how hilariously bad Bhullar's submission defense is.

It's a good spot. If Bhullar is dumb enough to get Omoplata'd by Wieczorek who couldn't even finished washed up Anthony Hamilton, he can definitely get finished by a young, improving, and diverse finisher like Golm.

Aside from his KO power, Golm also started off training BJJ and we've seen how hilariously bad Bhullar's submission defense is.

One of Golm's main selling points is that he's supposed to be a student of the Noguira brothers... If Golm grabs ahold of an arm in there tonight and starts fishing for subs I'm going to shit a brick lol... :D

If Smith is 50/50 in your opinion, then he is a must bet at +150, no?
no idea. freedom units make no sense to me. Got Smith at 2.30 odds and am very happy about it.

my associates at ohmbet have volkan by ko at +400 which is completely ludicrous.

my associates at ohmbet have volkan by ko at +400 which is completely ludicrous.

Damn. Bet that and Lionheart ML and that's pretty much arbitrage. Odds of Voklan Sub/decision are collectively like 5%. Maybe 10% if you want to be very generous

was a good night in general. lost some with Goldfish. but Ray, Bernardo, Madge and Smith were all hits. even hit Madge ITD at 8.0 odds.

Back