UFC FOX 29 PBP/Discussion

If gaethje could just resist the urge to brawl and fight more strategically he could win fights with leg kicks alone

I was really getting worried that it would go the distance, would've completely ruined my winnings and turned my winning night into a losing one.

+7,6 units this event but I'm not going to take that big a risk anymore to win so little with a fight not going the distance

Gaethje got poked in the right eyeball at the end of the previous round, but Herb Dean didn't say shit.

Then, he gets rocked by a left hand on the right side of his face at the start of the new round, when he was taking them fine all night.

Gaethje just not ready for the durability of some these guys he's facing. Dustin was nearly done from those legs kicks at one point though.

If gaethje could just resist the urge to brawl and fight more strategically he could win fights with leg kicks alone

You gotta realize that some of the reason he lands so many damn hard leg kicks is because he's willing to be in that range to throw them that hard and is willing to eat punches to do it.

I actually talked about that earlier this week, that he lands insanely hard leg kicks but eats a ton of punches other guys don't in order to do it. Because while his kicks are good, they aren't like Aldo in his prime or even Barboza where they are just lightning fast to the point where you can't return fire with punches.

Gaethje needs to add a headkick to his arsenal.

Gaethje got poked in the right eyeball at the end of the previous round, but Herb Dean didn't say shit.

Then, he gets rocked by a left hand on the right side of his face at the start of the new round, when he was taking them fine all night.

Gaethje got rocked because of his lack of discipline and willingness to take punishment. To imply that the eye poke was a significant cause of the eventual finish is too speculative.

After this event, fighters with significant pants height advantage have suffered their first loss with Casey losing a very controversial decision. An Adesanya victory brings the total to:

6-1 record for fighters with significant pants height advantage.

Gaethje got rocked because of his lack of discipline and willingness to take punishment. To imply that the eye poke was a significant cause of the eventual finish is too speculative.

Not speculative at all. Gaethje relies on wearing his opponents down and pressuring. He invested a lot into that early and it was paying dividends until the eye poke. A 5 to 6 minute break for Poriier (including the end-of-round) throws a huge monkey wrench in that gameplan. It was a HUGE factor, and it was Justin's own fault really.

Not speculative at all. Gaethje relies on wearing his opponents down and pressuring. He invested a lot into that early and it was paying dividends until the eye poke. A 5 to 6 minute break for Poriier (including the end-of-round) throws a huge monkey wrench in that gameplan. It was a HUGE factor, and it was Justin's own fault really.

Definitely felt that break was in Poirer's favour. Shouldn't poke your opponent hard in the same eye twice though, so it's on Gaethje.

Also got to give credit for Poirer's sharp striking and great conditioning to survive, catch a second wind and put Gaethje away.

I believe you misread PuertoRicans original post. The eyepoke I was discussing is the one he mentioned at the end of Round 3 with Gaethje's R eye.

those nice boxing combinations gave dp the win. exactly why i bet mj against gaethje.

The eye poke clearly broke his rhythm same thing happened to Dariush vs Edson. The first stike he threw after he got koed.

The eye poke clearly broke his rhythm same thing happened to Dariush vs Edson. The first stike he threw after he got koed.
That's your opinion, and I can understand where you are coming from. However I weigh his getting knocked out moreso on the insane amount of headshots Poirier landed, as well as Gaethje's history of getting rocked.

maybe gaethje is the one that wanted the break and thats why he went for the intentional and blatant eye poke.

Back