UFC is growing bigger and bettter and that's a good thing

The sport of MMA is growing, for sure. Especially in Eastern Europe.

The UFC however is shrinking rapidly. They've been letting top fighters sign elsewhere for a few years now, and have been dropping the ball on signing elite talent. Top guys are more dispersed throughout separate orgs than they've been since around 2009/10.

The future of MMA lies in Eastern Europe. I'd wager in 10 years, 60% of the top fighters will be from the post-Soviet countries. If the UFC want to remain legitimate, they need to either start shelling out cash for the Slavic talent, or begin copromoting with orgs like ACB, because those promotions out there pay well & take care of their guys, so there isn't much incentive for the fighters to sign elsewhere.

I think the biggest thing the ufc needs to do is find stars to help build the brand. The most important thing In the wwe world is the ‘it factor’. It’s what gets you over. You can be the most technically gifted guy in that world but if you’re boring on the mic you have no shot. If you can’t have emotion where people either hate you or love you, you’ll never be a top guy. You’ll never draw. The ufc is in the same boat. Connor knows that. Connor got himself over because he’s fully aware of the entertainment factor in the Ufc. Ufc is full of boring guys. Stipe is boring. He can’t cut an exciting interview to save his life. If you can’t make people want to tune in to either watch you win or watch you lose, people won’t tune in. Ufc die hards can hate Lesnar all they want. But he was one of the most important fighters in the history of the ufc. He brought a lot of casuals and wrestling fans over to the ufc. His name/brand took the ufc to the next level. But that was him that did that and not a boring ufc fighter. Dana pays Cm punk a lot of money and punk has no reason to be in the ufc. Punks In the ufc because he has a name and brings interests to the spot. Someone has to do that. Someone has to move the needle. For Dana to go outside his roster to bring in guys to move the needle is not a good thing for the Ufc.

Boxing is more or less dead in America because they don’t have a character/entertainer like a mike Tyson. No boxer is exciting and draws interests to the sport.

it isn't growing at all you clueless noob

what's funny is zuffa and wme solely focusing on the us market for the last few years and it still hasn't grown

Nope, disagree. In fact, you are way, way off. They need to move away from the "personality" aspect. MMA is a sport, not pro wrestling.

Combat sports are dead in the West because they're dangerous & no upper middle class families are getting their kids into something that could give them cerebral damage at an early age. Why would they? Combat sports thrive in impoverished, harsh working class societies. They always have, everyone knows that. Hence why MMA & Boxing is bigger than ever & growing exponentially in Eastern Europe right now.

The UFC is struggling because of the reasons I stated. Not because there aren't enough "pro wrestling" characters in the sport. There's not enough talent to field in the US & it will continue to shrink as HS/Collegiate Wrestling (Folkstyle) wanes in popularity. They need to start fielding Eastern European talent ASAP or they're in danger of an Eastern European promotion gaining some ground.

MMA may be a sport but the ufc is flirting with entertainment more and more. Connor is the ufc. He’s an entertainer. He has a gimmick. The whole Connor Floyd boxing fight was entertainment.

it isn't growing at all you clueless noob

what's funny is zuffa and wme solely focusing on the us market for the last few years and it still hasn't grown

A big part of that is the language barrier. 95% of people in North America are clueless when a Brazilian speaks without An interpreter. It’s hard to build your sport when the fighters cant go on talk shows or ESPN to be interviewed.

Funny, I was considering starting a thread bitching about how underwhelming the UFC has become.
I haven’t watched the past six cards, was looking to see if there’s a card this weekend and there is! Read the line up and will probably miss it as well.
My point is, I’m going to need a more compelling card to keep me in front of a tv on a Saturday night.

Back