UFC on FOX 30 PBP/Discussion

Goddard did the right hting. More refs need to take away positions for fouls. I've seen countless fence grabs that led to the cheating fighter avoiding a TD. Each of those fence grabs should result in top position for the person fouling. When that happens, I doubt you'll see any more cage grabs.

Same thing with illegal shots against the fence. Fighter getting illegally hit should get to choose whether to restart on feet or in same position.

12-6 elbow rule is stupid. But enforcing rules in ways that don't involve taking a point or just giving a warning is great. Taking away or giving positonal advantage based on the foul is a good middle ground.

Goddard standing them up was bullshit but fuck it, it’s over. That 100% lost Eddie that fight and chippy shit happens in fights but you can’t make a game changing call regarding mount when you can’t tell what’s happening.

Oh and people saying Dustin was fine, dude had no arm energy to expend getting out of mount after trying two guillotines with two minutes left in the round. He was going to sit against the cage and prolly be finished in the next minute after Eddie grinded him out a little more. That position is normally fine but when you have no arm strength left, you’re pretty much just waiting for the bell.

Goddard standing them up was bullshit but fuck it, it’s over. That 100% lost Eddie that fight and chippy shit happens in fights but you can’t make a game changing call regarding mount when you can’t tell what’s happening.

Oh and people saying Dustin was fine, dude had no arm energy to expend getting out of mount after trying two guillotines with two minutes left in the round. He was going to sit against the cage and prolly be finished in the next minute after Eddie grinded him out a little more. That position is normally fine but when you have no arm strength left, you’re pretty much just waiting for the bell.

Eddie was tired already too though if you rewatch. He was giving DP time for his arms to recover from being burned out from the guillotine attempts. Plus, his arms must not have been THAT burned out given that he fought off the neck cranks Eddie attempted when he sort of had DP's back. I really don't think Eddie was gonna finish, but obviously we can't say for sure.

I think the standup was 100% justified given the cage grab by Eddie (after a warning in rd 1). The issue with Goddard is that he then didn't punish Dustin for the low blow in the closing flurry when he was finishing Eddie. It was clearly low, and absolutley no question Eddie should have been given 5 minutes to recover. So Goddard did screw up, but it wasn't with the standup.

Eddie was tired already too though if you rewatch. He was giving DP time for his arms to recover from being burned out from the guillotine attempts. Plus, his arms must not have been THAT burned out given that he fought off the neck cranks Eddie attempted when he sort of had DP's back. I really don't think Eddie was gonna finish, but obviously we can't say for sure.

Not to mention that DP landed the shot that led to the finish like 20 seconds later. I think it’s safe to say his arms were fine.

Had a pretty solid card. Only losses were OAM and a small stab on Pearson. Man, Ortiz is really putting it together. With his striking improving, he will be a tough matchup for most. He used to always have to grapple, but now he can use his wrestling and footwork to keep it standing. I always favored really good grapplers vs. him, but I'm not sure anymore. I think he could avenge most of his losses honestly.

+1.5u or something like that. Amazing night. Was sick af when Aldo got hurt, thought my bet and my manz were gone, that comeback KO made a month full of losing money well worth it.

I think the standup was 100% justified given the cage grab by Eddie (after a warning in rd 1). The issue with Goddard is that he then didn't punish Dustin for the low blow in the closing flurry when he was finishing Eddie. It was clearly low, and absolutley no question Eddie should have been given 5 minutes to recover. So Goddard did screw up, but it wasn't with the standup.

I agree Alvarez was tired as well but in mount gravity is doing so much work. If you have fatigued fighters and one is in a mount position, he is going to dominate the guy on bottom; if it was half or full guard, totally different.

We disagree on the Goddard thing and we are going in circles now.

I agree Alvarez was tired as well but in mount gravity is doing so much work. If you have fatigued fighters and one is in a mount position, he is going to dominate the guy on bottom; if it was half or full guard, totally different.

We disagree on the Goddard thing and we are going in circles now.

Mount up against the cage is much different than when a fighter is flattened out on his back on the mat though. Obviously we've seen it enough to know how much more difficult it is to both hold position and deal damage in that spot. The reason being that the guy on bottom can actually stand up using the cage as leverage without needing his hands. So his hand are there to tie up arms while he cage walks back to his feet. The guy on top often has to choose between holding position and doing damage.

And yes, we just have to agree to disagree on Goddard. Blows my mind that people could clearly see Eddie grab the fence a second time and not believe a standup was justified, but I also realize everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Back