UFC on Fuel 9 Update Thread (DON'T START NEW THREADS!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with most of it, but what makes you assume that the UFC hasn't been looking for a possible replacement? I don't think many top tier fighters are interested in flying to Sweden and fighting Moussai on a week's notice.

Yeah. You can't turn chicken shit into chicken salad in cases like this. (Brock voice)

Shamrock got injured the day of the fight not the week of. In fact I think it was while he was warming up in the back.

Week of the fight he should be focused on making weight, granted dunno if he has a lot to cut, he seems like a relatively lean LHW (tall though). Point is, week of the fight should be light workouts, not heavy enough to cut you. I guess that's the nature of the beast though.

This is more of the UFC doing a terrible job at everything.

Hey let's expand into a new market on the strength of one fucking guy, that'll work right? No offense to Akira Corassani but I don't think everybody is lining up to see that guy.

Let's do a terrible job promoting the event beyond the main event, that'll never backfire right? It's never happened before.

Instead of looking for a possible replacement let's just angrily tell everybody the fight that the athletic commission says wont happen is still going to happen.

Good ideas are frowned upon by Dana White

Yeah, they really put all their eggs in one basket on that one. And it's not the first time. But, to be fair they are doing a few events a month and can't possibly have all-star cards on all of them. The main event was so epic that they very well could get away with it. It's also a free TV event in Europe, with a hometown guy that sells out arenas by himself, regardless who he fights. They just banked on that a young fighter in Alex would not be prone to injuries. But, they were humbled once again. If Mousasi got injured, it wouldn't hurt the show in Swedan. But, it's the hometown guy that's out, and it changes everything.

If Mousasi fights a replacement, the show will go on, but the crowd won't be very much invested in the main event unless the opponent is Swedish. The worst part is this was a surreal matchup and it may never happen again, or at least delayed for a while.

Last edited:
Why does this forum merge threads? It makes it impossible to sift through what has been said. "Be specific in the topic" is one thing, but I am not reading 167 pages to see what has been said. Jesus Christ.

This. I'm getting really annoyed.

Fuck off, cuts happen.

Of course cuts happen, asshole.

Cuts that severe only occur when you and your partner are going harder during sparring or if anything, some freak accident.

I would give the benefit of the doubt if it was a freak accident, but if it was because of sparring a week out, then yes, it is irresponsible for the trainer to allow that to happen. Should be very light sparring, working on technique, pad or bagwork..or straight conditioning.

This. I'm getting really annoyed.

This is the most overmoderated site on the internet. You can't post anything outside of the strictest guidelines, which seem arbitrary. . How many other sites have 5-10 threads on the front page being deleted or wastelanded at any given time? You can't have a conversation about anything here, or figure anything out. It's getting absolutely ridiculous.

"If he's cut, I'm going to make sure I'm going to hit him where he's cut. I'm not going to be Mr Friendly and be very sporty, I don't care, I just want to win the fight."

Well, if the ac was thinking of authorizing this fight that kinda killed it, right?

One would think so, yeah....

One would think so, yeah....

Yeah in a combat sport nobody from the athletic commission took into account somebody with a cut will get hit where they're cut until Mousasi said something about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you expect? It's sherdog. It was bad back in 2005 and it's just as bad today, if not worse b/c of all the retard noobs. I just want to get an av, almost 10 years here and I can't get a fucking avatar, lol.

Fuck, I still got like 40 more posts to go. :(

Mousasi haters, they exist? How could anyone hate on the guy. It's almost like hating on JDS lol

Yeah in a combat sport nobody from the athletic commission took into account somebody with a cut will get hit where they're cut until Mousasi said something about it. You're an effin genius, ya idiot.

This is like I don't know how many times I said it but the athletic commission, or Swedish MMA Federation in this case, has to make a justifiable case to the politicians if they decide to go forward with the fight. The statement doesn't help - at all. And it's not the type of statement you'd expect a fighter to make if his aim is to smooth things over.

Machida was called to fight Mousasi. He said yeah and then said no. White said he will never call machida ever again. :)

I don't get it.. You gonna rock a source with that budds?

Or is that honestly a joke?? 0/10 if so

"If he's cut, I'm going to make sure I'm going to hit him where he's cut. I'm not going to be Mr Friendly and be very sporty, I don't care, I just want to win the fight."

Well, if the ac was thinking of authorizing this fight that kinda killed it, right?

I hope you're not being serious.

You're not suggesting that the statement you quoted from Mousasi could possibly have any sort of impact on the decision made by the SMMAF in allowing Gustafsson to fight or not, are you?

A doctor will examine the cut, and if the doctor determines that the cut will act as a disadvantage for Gustafsson during the fight, and could possibly jeopardize his health and future career, Gustafsson can't fight. That's it. There's no process of speculating on wheter or not Gustafsson's opponent is going to target the cut or not: it's a real possibility that they simply have to work around of, basically by not letting the fight happen in the first place, with the conditions at hand.

Biggest swedish channel SVT just had some breaking news. Alex Gustafsson might miss the fight since hes got a cut over his eye. That was all we got.

Anyone have more info?

update...

http://mmanytt.se/ufc/bekraftat-ale...fc-stockholm-2013-match-mot-mousasi-installd/

MMAnytt has been a little while since been able to confirm this with Swedish MMA Federation which says that it will take several weeks for the injury to heal, and that Gustafsson to 99% will not be medically approved for medical examination which is scheduled to take place on Friday.

Jon Jones should probably be the one to pull out...at least once in a while

Can you mods stop puttingevery article in here, I was looking for a moussasi interview and now its taking ages to find, jeez, stop wastelanding and over modding everything. This is frustrating

Can you mods stop puttingevery article in here, I was looking for a moussasi interview and now its taking ages to find, jeez, stop wastelanding and over modding everything. This is frustrating

If the names "Mousasi" or "Gustafsson" are mentioned, they get lumped in this thread. It's very hard to go through 175 pages to find info and very annoying.

If the names "Mousasi" or "Gustafsson" are mentioned, they get lumped in this thread. It's very hard to go through 175 pages to find info and very annoying.

Yeah seriously, it's pretty damn annoying.

This is like I don't know how many times I said it but the athletic commission, or Swedish MMA Federation in this case, has to make a justifiable case to the politicians if they decide to go forward with the fight. The statement doesn't help - at all.

And what kind of a statement would, exactly?

Let's assume that Mousasi had told Helwani that he's absolutely not going to target the cut, and instead, is going to avoid even touching it at all costs. Would such a statement, in your opinion, hold legitimacy sufficient enough to convince the politicians to let Gustafsson, who's been deemed by a doctor to not be in suitable fighting condition for a licensed MMA bout, to fight?

Probably the worst troll attempt in the world...

Edit: ok, seems legit, my bad

Nice fail. Gegard is cool but he has an air on Lombard about him- no good wins for ages, lots of nobodies, loses to legit fighters etc. We will see soon if they get a replacement, don't fighters know that there is always cancellations and you can get big fights if you are available? ie Jones Shogun, Chael Jones, Bonnar Silva you know? And no new threads, sheesh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back