UFC PPV Buys will surge Q4 2018

JoeyJoeJoeJr

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
So its no secret that UFC buys have not been good for awhile, but that might change in the 4th quarter of 2018.

Ppv buys in 2017 averaged about 330k.

So far 2018 has not been ss good, PPV buys are averaging 258k from UFC 220-227 (8 Events).

However, UFC 229 is going to drastically change that.

If the reports are true and UFC 229 is actually trending 2.5m, it will single handedly boost the average to 507k. If it brings in 2m it will boost the average to 452k.

Its also possible we could see Jon Jones or GSP return before years end, which could bring the average up even further.

Just take that in to perspective, one Conor card can drastically change the course of an entire year from unsuccessful to successful PPV averages.

People were too quick to say the UFC is dying or that PPV no longer works in 2018. The UFC is all about star power, and peaks and valleys happen. We're about to exit the valley and soar up for Q4. I expect the UFC will have strong numbers by year end. A 400k+ ppv average would be a good year.

Who gives a fuck about PPV averages?

People buy pay per views still? Haven’t you people learned it’s all free on the power of the internet.

PPV is dying because it's a shitty outdated model and hopefully nobody is stupid enough to help the UFC continue with it.

Well and I think there is a potential for some other stars to start selling ppv's. Woodley vs Covington will be a decent card, if they doubled it up with Ortega Holloway they all would reap the benefits in future cards. Just playing hypotheticals. Point is I agree. Ebby flowy flowin Ebs.

PPV is dying because it's a shitty outdated model and hopefully nobody is stupid enough to help the UFC continue with it.
Yeah subscription services are really the thing right now. You're likely to get the same amount of money per person with it roughly cause next to no one buys every card. And it's easier to convince them to pay the smaller monthly fees over time, then bigger price tags per singular event. Also more likely to get people tuning in as single households instead of big groups pooling to buy or going to bars. I expect them to follow wwe's combination of television deals for small cards with a privately run subscription service that can run both the small cards and feature the bigger numbered events. It also eliminates the need to find multiple platforms to broadcast from to hit multiple countries. The internet is huge enough that their subscription service could hit many of those markets.

UFC needs to move all the ppvs to a susbcription service like fightpass.

They do in other markets. In NA PPV still makes good money. UFC won’t change until they have to.

I would def prefer paying an up front annual all access fee than a la carte throughout the year.

There has to be something holding this back.

UFC screwed themselves by continually raising PPV prices while offering it for free in the UK, etc.

Guess what? I’m not gonna pay $60 anymore when I can watch it for free.

Just take that in to perspective, one Conor card can drastically change the course of an entire year from unsuccessful to successful PPV averages.

This is why I think gauging the performance of the UFC based on ppv averages isn’t the best indicator. Its really only reflective of how many fights with mega stars they can book per year. It’s like looking at average income of a neighborhood where most households bring in $65k annually, but a few multimillionaires in the gated section skew those numbers. Looking at the ppv buys for cards headlined by “B” or even “C” level stars can really be an indicator of how active the fan base is and how well the UFC promotes their fights. And actually those current metrics go against more “the UFC is dying model” than the averages. If you look at the ppv performance of fights like DC vs Stipe and TJ vs Cody, they did similar numbers or better than events like UFC 103 Franklin vs Belfort or UFC 106 Ortiz vs Griffin 2, which were supposedly in the UFCs prime and still riding off the coattails of UFC 100.

So its no secret that UFC buys have not been good for awhile, but that might change in the 4th quarter of 2018.

Ppv buys in 2017 averaged about 330k.

So far 2018 has not been ss good, PPV buys are averaging 258k from UFC 220-227 (8 Events).

However, UFC 229 is going to drastically change that.

If the reports are true and UFC 229 is actually trending 2.5m, it will single handedly boost the average to 507k. If it brings in 2m it will boost the average to 452k.

Its also possible we could see Jon Jones or GSP return before years end, which could bring the average up even further.

People were too quick to say the UFC is dying or that PPV no longer works in 2018. The UFC is all about star power, and peaks and valleys happen. We're about to exit the valley and soar up for Q4. I expect the UFC will have strong numbers by year end. A 400k+ ppv average would be a good year.

Dana white saying it is not a report. It’s not even a rumor it’s almost a bold faced lie. He said 223 was trending over a million.

well, Im telling them they have to.
Honestly I think the return of Conor will push that change further into the future. They’ll make very good money off his show by selling PPV’s. The model sucks and offers less value for the consumer (amongst other things) but I don’t see it going anywhere.

Back