UFC releases that made you question thing..

Rockman14

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
ufc121_weighin_03.jpg

Ya remember Jon Madsen? Pretty boring HW wrestler for the most part but what was curious is that he came from the ultimate fighter and won 4 in a row, in his last win he TKO’d Gilbert Yvel..
ufc121_01_madsen_vs_yvel_002.jpg

He lost his next fight via TKO to Mike Russo and immediatly gets cut, has only fought 2 times since then but I always found that an odd cut, sure he wasnt the most exciting but damn that sucks to be cut after losing one fight.

Any other weird cuts you can think of?

I don’t know but I can think of a bunch of bizarre non cuts where a fighter is a complete bum and loses every fight, yet they keep him around.

UFC = bush league

Letting shields and fitch go while they were top 10 was always strange to me. If you dont like the way somebody wins change the rules of the sport, but they shouldnt be penalized for not 'standing and banging, bro' in a sport with so many facets.....

I don't know about "cut" but they let Werdum go after the JDS and Arlovski losses (let AA go too after that win if I recall correctly). And they let Timmeh go after losing to Big Nog (if I remember right) when he was still relevant.

Letting shields and fitch go while they were top 10 was always strange to me. If you dont like the way somebody wins change the rules of the sport, but they shouldnt be penalized for not 'standing and banging, bro' in a sport with so many facets.....

It's harder to change the rules of the sport than to simply get rid of fighters who're driving your customers away.

How you win matters in the UFC.

Rory. Cutting a top tier fighter like him never made sense to me, regardless of his losses to lawler.

I don’t know but I can think of a bunch of bizarre non cuts where a fighter is a complete bum and loses every fight, yet they keep him around.

UFC = bush league

Rory. Cutting a top tier fighter like him never made sense to me, regardless of his losses to lawler.
I dont think Rory or Werdum were cut at the time, I think they chose to leave, also Arlovski chose to leave as well, Dana wanted to keep him badly in the UFC if I recall.

I dont think he was cut. I think his contract expired. Could be wrong but pretty sure

Tavares.

Cut for losing to Khabib, Choi, and Ortega lmao.

I don't know about "cut" but they let Werdum go after the JDS and Arlovski losses (let AA go too after that win if I recall correctly). And they let Timmeh go after losing to Big Nog (if I remember right) when he was still relevant.

Sylvia and Arlovski left because Affliction offered much better salaries for top fighters. Andrei reportedly won over a million dollars and Sylvia $800.000 when they lost against Fedor, which is insane, especially back in 2009. The UFC wouldn't and couldn't compete and, in the end, it was the best strategy because Affliction was never able to be profitable with such salaries.

Sylvia and Arlovski left because Affliction offered much better salaries for top fighters. Andrei reportedly won over a million dollars against Fedor, which is insane, especially back in 2009. The UFC wouldn't and couldn't compete and, in the end, it was the best strategy because Affliction was never able to be profitable with such salaries.

If I remember, Timmeh made 800K or something and that was ridiculous under the circumstances, and Affliction was a rich man's vanity project, but I think they could have retained AA. They overreacted a bit to the boring Werdum fight.

Those two are always who come to mind when this question gets asked (although I can't recall if they got "cut" or just weren't re-signed). Fitch was like 13-3-1 in the UFC or something crazy like that. Classic examples of Dana and Joe Silva overreacting because they heard some drunk fans booing on more than one occasion. I wasn't even a Fitch fan at all, and I still thought that was bullshit.

Okami was a bad one for me, though when they brought him back a couple months ago he was shite.
At the time it was a head scratcher.

ufc121_weighin_03.jpg

Ya remember Jon Madsen? Pretty boring HW wrestler for the most part but what was curious is that he came from the ultimate fighter and won 4 in a row, in his last win he TKO’d Gilbert Yvel..
ufc121_01_madsen_vs_yvel_002.jpg

He lost his next fight via TKO to Mike Russo and immediatly gets cut, has only fought 2 times since then but I always found that an odd cut, sure he wasnt the most exciting but damn that sucks to be cut after losing one fight.

Any other weird cuts you can think of?

I think Mike Russow as well.
He happened to lose 2 straight, but one of those losses was to Werdum.
4-2 in the UFC.
15-3 in his career, with the 3rd loss being to Sergei in Pride.
I guess he was getting old and was about to retire anyway...

Waggney Fabiano (WEC)
Was a Top 10 FW and Top 10 BW
Loses to Joe Benavidez and gets cut.
Was also getting older and retired a few fights later.

That guy who subbed leben and made him flop around like a fish

He was 1-1

Rory wasn’t cut. His upcoming free agency was talked about and people seemed sure he was going to Bellator even before the Thompson fight. Win or lose it was known he was going to negotiate with Bellator.

As for others mentioned. AA wasn’t cut. Werdum was let go after they tried to cut his pay after the JDS loss.

Fitch, Shields, and Okami were cut for basically wearing out their welcome. The reasoning was they were just “just another guy”. Meaning, not anybody that will be given title shots ever again but too good to be desirable gatekeepers.

Back