UFC's dominance and how it stays distinct

Monte Moku

Amateur Kickboxer
@purple
Reaction score
Hello, I am a big fan of Kickboxing and Boxing, and although I enjoy MMA, I am a bit uninitiated. The biggest thing that confuses me is how the competition in the UFC is considered so lopsidedly dominant compared to other promotions. I have mainly watched fights from ONE & Rizin, although I have a friend who has exposed me to some of his collection of Pride and Pancrase events (MMA has evolved much, so I'm not sure how well the fine points compare from then VS now). I have watched a few UFC Fight Nights and I usually catch the big main cards whenever they pop up, and during those fights I haven't seen any performances that blew what I was watching from ONE or Rizin out of the water. I understand how talent can usually be a bit more concentrated in one organization, but if most world ranked MMA fighters are in the UFC, how is there a metric for those outside? Do current MMA athletes have to compete in the UFC to be considered world class elite? Since I do not know a ton about the sport, I don't doubt that I am missing things when I watch MMA, so some skill deficiencies that pop up probably fly over my head when they show. I understand this forum isn't used for posting about UFC, but since this is for Worldwide MMA, I figured I may get a more informed answer here than there. Please move this post as needed.

I don't have a direct answer to your question, but I will say that a lot of Japanese fighters who come over to the UFC end up failing.

There's a few exceptions who do well and show that they can compete on that level, like Kyoji Horiguchi. But most of the time the holes in their game get exposed rather quickly.

Last edited:
The ufc has stayed dominant by putting on good quality mma but at the same time by eliminating competition in smart but unethical ways.

The biggest thing your missing when watching is the UFC has a ton of talent and its deep in most weight classes. You rarely get lopsided match ups from the get go. So fighters are consistently countering each others talents and sometimes can come off as ho-hum in the entertainment department. The old stuff your watching and some of the new stuff many times matches are set up for someone to win on purpose. With this comes some nice highlights and ass kicking. But at the same time can also appear to make someone very high level or a superstar when it really isn't in some cases. Japan MMA being king in this department.

Last edited:
The biggest thing your missing when watching is the UFC has a ton of talent and its deep in most weight classes. You rarely get lopsided match ups from the get go. So fighters are consistently countering each others talents and sometimes can come of as ho-hum in the entertainment department. The old stuff your watching and some of the new stuff many times matches are set up for someone to win on purpose. With this comes some nice highlights and ass kicking. But at the same time can also appear to make someone very high level or a superstar when it really isn't in some cases. Japan MMA being king in this department.

Well said.

I’d also like to add, that I think mma has evolved to the point where a fighter with superior strategy (fight IQ) can overcome a more gifted opponent.

Analyzing opponents is absolutely critical nowadays, because mma is much more multidimensional than boxing or kickboxing (I’m not saying one sport is better than another though). Basically, there are so many ways to lose, no matter where your opponents strengths may lie, there are always styles and strategies to nullify whatever they’re exceptional at. This nullification is why you sometimes get lackluster fights, even though matchmakers try their damnest to give you good ones.

Do current MMA athletes have to compete in the UFC to be considered world class elite?
No, but i think no fighter outside UFC in the last decade has been the #1 in the world in his weight class, other than Fedor, of course. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited:
@executionermma i would like to hear your opinion about the fact that the ufc is sportsentertaiment and not a sportsleauge. MonteMoku ask for the best mma leauge and the ufc isnt one which i answered him, also lot of people think the fights are fixed and to me some of them look super fake as well http://www.punditarena.com/mma/jmur...-claims-one-conor-mcgregors-ufc-fights-fixed/ https://www.mmaweekly.com/tito-ortiz-on-wanderlei-silvas-fixed-fights-allegation-i-agree-with-him that said if you like to watch the fights and they entertain you no problem, this is about the truth of dana whites claims having the best talent and looking at the facts (sportsentertaiment, actors as "GOATS", every month a new hypejob) theyre no true, as simple as that. From eyepoke jones fleeing from gustafson for the entire fight and getting his arm nearly folded the wrong direction by a washed up 40+ belfort to mcgregor showing the worst boxing skills seen ever on a professional stage just shows that the claim "ufc=best fighters" cant be wright.

Last edited:
@executionermma i would like to hear your opinion about the fact that the ufc is sportsentertaiment and not a sportsleauge. MonteMoku ask for the best mma leauge and the ufc isnt one which i answered him, also lot of people think the fights are fixed and to me some of them look super fake as well http://www.punditarena.com/mma/jmur...-claims-one-conor-mcgregors-ufc-fights-fixed/ https://www.mmaweekly.com/tito-ortiz-on-wanderlei-silvas-fixed-fights-allegation-i-agree-with-him that said if you like to watch the fights and they entertain you no problem, this is about the truth of dana whites claims having the best talent and looking at the facts (sportsentertaiment, actors as "GOATS", every month a new hypejob) theyre no true, as simple as that. From eyepoke jones fleeing from gustafson for the entire fight and getting his nearly folded the wrong direction by a washed up 40+ belfort to mcgregor showing the worst boxing skills seen ever on a professional stage just shows that the claim "ufc=best fighters" cant be wright.
Khabib is pretty much complimenting Conor by saying the Alvarez fight looked fixed.

Khabib is pretty much complimenting Conor by saying the Alvarez fight looked fixed.
Did you even read the source i posted quote
“I don’t care about him [McGregor], you guys know his Uncle Dana give him a gift. He jumped over all contenders and he fought for the title. I do not understand this fight [McGregor vs. Alvarez], he catch him a few times and he falls down—to me this is a fake fight." he goes on saying that the fight looked super fake “I no understand this fight you know—UFC give him this fight like seven, six weeks before the fight,” said Khabib. “He [McGregor] catches him a few times and he [Alvarez] falls down. I do not understand—a lot of people have a lot of questions about this fight.” Thats the funny thing about the ufc nuthuggers, in every sport in the world fixed events happen every day with 1000x the money on stacke. And just believing that any single of those fake actor fighters are where they are because of theyre "skill" is just ludacris. Where talking about the promotion that gave lesnar the title shot after 1 fight!!! And a question to you Danespina how do you explain the fact that the ufc isnt a sportsleauge by law and fighters contract. I would like to hear your explanaition about that.

Did you even read the source i posted quote
“I don’t care about him [McGregor], you guys know his Uncle Dana give him a gift. He jumped over all contenders and he fought for the title. I do not understand this fight [McGregor vs. Alvarez], he catch him a few times and he falls down—to me this is a fake fight." he goes on saying that the fight looked super fake “I no understand this fight you know—UFC give him this fight like seven, six weeks before the fight,” said Khabib. “He [McGregor] catches him a few times and he [Alvarez] falls down. I do not understand—a lot of people have a lot of questions about this fight.” Thats the funny thing about the ufc nuthuggers, in every sport in the world fixed events happen every day with 1000x the money on stacke. And just believing that any single of those fake actor fighters are where they are because of theyre "skill" is just ludacris. Where talking about the promotion that gave lesnar the title shot after 1 fight!!! And a question to you Danespina how do you explain the fact that the ufc isnt a sportsleauge by law and fighters contract. I would like to hear your explanaition about that.
What I gathered was that Khabib thought it was suspicious how easily Conor beat Alvarez. That it looked fake. Which is a compliment to Conor. Sort of like when people said Anderson's jab couldn't have dropped Forrest.

Last edited:
I don't have a direct answer to your question, but I will say that a lot of Japanese fighters who come over to the UFC end up failing.

There's a few exceptions who do well and show that they can compete on that level, like Kyoji Horiguchi. But most of the time the holes in their game get exposed rather quickly.

heres the biggest reason: no one gives a fucken fuck about MMA. Kickboxing, boxing, judo ... hell almost everything is bigger than mma in japan.

What I gathered was that Khabib thought it was suspicious how easily Conor beat Alvarez. That it looked fake. Which is a compliment to Conor. Sort of like when people said Anderson's jab couldn't have dropped Forrest.
Then why is he calling this fight a gift from his uncle dana, and why he isnt he the only one from numerous mma fighters questioning this fight calling it fake... or better explain why the ufc is registered as sportsentertaiment and not a sportsleauge or the 1 fight to get a title shot from brock lesnar. You could also just admit that the claim that the ufc has the best talent is just false and has nothing to stand on. And looking at the past when ufc fighters and champs competed in other promos most of them got knocked out for real. I mean mcgregor got 2 loses already after 6 fights before the ufc so there 2 guys out there who beat him at cage rage!!!!! cant be that hard to not get loses there if he would be a talent, but he isnt since he lost or cage rage just has better fighters than the ufc.

So 2 memes are everything you have to proof your claim, respect!

Back