UFN 133 Dos Santos vs Ivanov July 14

Better grappling's a thorny question. You'll frequently get guys who are willing to just go for random cheese submissions, but who are less good as well-rounded grapplers, who'll get more subs in the UFC. Price feels like one of those guys, but it's a style that also tends to result in a lot of getting pounded from bad positions underneath if they fuck up their opportunistic plays. Guys like Brandon Moreno who just get a few opportunistic subs in a row are seen as superior grapplers to guys like Alexander Pantoja, which is nuts.

Obviously Gall has very little MMA experience and him being controlled for long stretches by Brown isn't the best look.

But Gall has been a legit guy on the grappling scene. I know there are differences when transitioning to MMA grappling, but I have little doubt that Gordon Ryan would completely clown Niko on the mat. Gall had a very competitive match with Ryan.

Gall now just needs to see if he can make the necessary tweaks to allow him to really be a successful grappler in MMA (against guys better than Sage or CM Punk).

Gall has way too much of a sport BJJ mindset in MMA. He cannot accept bottom position the way he does.

Mendes popped for GHRP-6 (Growth Hormone Releasing Peptide)

In short it increases the body's production of growth hormone and IGF-1

Benefits are:
Increases muscle mass
Lowers body fat
Speeds up recovery
Increases stamina
Anti Inflammatory
Increased bone density

Peptides are the real deal, they are not just in skin care products, they are popular with athletes and bodybuilders. Not surprising Mendes was into this stuff, I'd bet this was just one of the PEDS he was taking, he probably had a whole stack. Don't be so ignorant to assume these guys are so innocent, they have good reason to be using and they have good reason to lie about it.

I'm not saying that he is innocent, but you have to consider that it is a possiblity because some creams contain steroids and he actually has psoriasis.
His body looks exactly the same, he is still a mini tank. Even if we disagree, I still like you Gambling Expert ;)

Last edited:
Gall has way too much of a sport BJJ mindset in MMA. He cannot accept bottom position the way he does.

Yep. And the fact that he seems pretty durable can be a blessing and a curse. Like you said, it allows him to work his guard game for long stretches without worrying much about being finished. But it gives rounds away.

Cat

-wanted quick turn around, wanted full 15 minutes to get back into the groove of things
-wanted to maintain cardio, weight so could focus on this fight more quicker
-getting through the fight week, nerves and excitement had to go through it just to know where
she was needing improvements
-when she was at her best was doing different techniques, now shes gone back to those methods
-working with a MT coach and at a ji jitsu gym, no longer being held down, S&C coach is a crazy scientist
-started doing judo and grappling with new coach, which marion her opponent used in the past.
-has had to reflect on past and future, did she do the best she could in past, interesting in her overall
result knowing she did all she can.
-ranked 6 and marion is 7, marion is coming into this fight with hype and steam so both are going
out there to put on a great show

Marion

-4 fight win streak, changed mentality going forward looks straight at her opponent always
-does not feel 41 at all, but feels young in her early 30s, as long as she feels good she will stay in game
-wanted cat and had to go for it, there was no one available in the top10
-still focused on getting shot at belt, says cat is ranked above her and resilient fighter
-cant put herself above cat so does not enter her thought process
-felt after her last win was gonna get shot but now has to do it with cat
-fans will have fun with her and cat fight, since its an important fight between both
-has nothing on the line here, only thinks about fighting another woman and nothing else in there

Jury

-feels just like another fight, feels best ever, feels was a good camp and the energy has been great
-traveling around Boise and energy is great, did some walking to see buildings and people so happy
-chads a tough fight, expects the best mendes version, took training serious and expecting a good fight
-not bothered with mendes 2 year out
-only a 2 fight win streak currently, if he can take out mendes he will but if he has to go distance it will go that far also.
-Trained with darren cromwell (wrestler) and guys similar to chads build, height and other similar guys
that look as close as mendes is.

Chad

-weight is coming down nicely, hydration process is going well. Best he has felt physically and is no
longer dog tired like before.
-doesn't diet but eats clean since he wants to recover more, 4 weeks out he was cutting weight better
since he was the heaviest he went into camp week.
-the 135 cut is going to be hard but could be done, would need a 4 month strict diet.
-is explosive and fast and wants to stay at 145, wont break it if its not broken
-biggest fight for his life, has to show everything he is still in ufc and relevant.
-say myles is pretty tough and needs to finish this fight
-not sure about ring rust, so controlled his mental pressure more having gone through lots of crap in life
-jury is a counter striker, likes to keep his speed and grapple also and has reach and height advantage but will use his own speed and power to fininsh the fight.
-Will be careful of jurys slick submission game

Brown

-says respects his opponent price, and agrees will be a great fight and potential for best fight
-doesn't need to trash talk here since niko's decent, only turns on the trash talk if opponent does
-says is no bitch will always trash talk back if someone starts it
-wants to perform, goal is to become a contender so will give a hard performance and stand out
has to show his abilities no one has seen it only guys in the gym and not in the ufc yet.
-will flow like water and look pretty
-glad hes got a opponent that comes forward so he can showcase his skills now
-will get the job done, will have lots of jabs, punches and kicks will be lots of action

Niko Price
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfpqW9F_Guw
-will not stand for 3 rounds looking at each other, will stand and bang
-his loss he wont worry about it just wants to throw down first and win for his kids and family
-does expect to get hit but its fine
-fought 6.4 guy before so brown not tallest fighter hes faced
-can enjoy eating and still make weight no issue
-is 4-1 in the ufc, got a sub win last fight
-doesn't want that feeling of a loss, you make money by winning in this sport
and has 4 kids to feed so needs a win its that simple
-don't blink its going to be fireworks
-does not want a judge to make his life decision for him
-knows brown has good striking but can match him at any level

Bermudez
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpe78Xto9gM
-doesn't care about his last wins being so close, its in the past now so it doesn't help him now
made a few adjustments to his fighting style, worked on offence and picking up guys and dropping
them hard. Will still be aggressive.
-doesn't really acknowledge his losses since its well in the past
-fought tall and skinny guys and lefties before, says hes beaten every leftie he has faced in ufc
so looking for a finish and wants it here since its been a long time.
-wants to kill 2 birds with one stone with a finish and win now
-the win is more important then a bonus atm
-wants to show up, knows he always is and its just a plan wants to hit him once and get the ko
but has struggled to find it in past
-primary goal is to make weight and do it consistently as possible and healthy so can re-hydrate
and perform better on the night.

Rick glenn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUNmxXMuzWs
-last fight he was too slow and looking to rebound here and get the job done
-always suck to lose in general
-had a long lay off but was enjoying the training and improvements, so is glad to show them
-feels like a TAM card, trained with chad mendes and energy is very high at camp
-says bermudez is not going to run away from him and come forward so likes this match up
-past 5 fights gone the distance so its odd, maybe due to higher competition.
-worked on coming out aggressive and looking for a finish for this fight
-wants to be viscous doesn't care which round but just wants a finish

Zak

-excited to put on show and knows the spot light it on him due to sage name
-sage is 5-2 is on a win streak and wants to give him a test
-not seen sage in person or spoke to him
-Sage is too nice of a guy, is weird. Does not matter will be a fight regardless in there
-Sage weight changes was due to the level of competition not his weight
-Sages wins most of them no longer in the ufc they were bottom of the level in ufc first place
-really wanted to be in main card, was moved from main prelims to main card so much better for him
-will put a pace and break him mentally will get a finish. confident in his cardio to go 3 rounds if it happens

Sage

-says walking around at his natural weight so much more happy at ww
-had health issues trying to do 155, strep throat and illnesses so back at 170 much healthier
-knows zak is a bjj black belt, strong, but says he trains at TAM, is stronger and faster then zak
-can go back to 155 but the weight cut is extreme, wants to do what cowboy does with taking
lots more fights at 170.
-happy to be co main event
-started already cutting weight, wanted to start early was 181 so only needs 10 pounds not too bad

jds

-loves boise city
-every fight at hw is different, takes 3-4 months so its different at hw.
-this fight is important since 1 year out and needs to get back in the mix
-discusses brock/dc drama
-says people cheating taking roids are not producing hormones correctly anymore and are missing certain chemicals so you need to keep using roids...
-been fighting the top level hws so is happy to do it all again from the bottom
-says blagoy is a tough guy, good fighter and has a lot of heart but is ready for that
wants his opponent to be aggressive and its his debut so he needs to perform.
-discusses werdum performance and debut but all it takes is one punch here
-has done this a lot so can control his nerves well he hopes
-believes can still ko anyone still

Blagoy

-apologies for being tired, but is happy to do his job
-not use to many questions from media and ufc but will get use to it
-discusses him being stabbed in the heart, recovery long process and now more mentally stronger
-docs said he could never fight again but he knew he could come back
-competed whole life in sambo competitions and then professional
-jds is a former champ so is very happy to get a shot here
-this is not my first main event, its normal and not new for him
-has to cut weight is 216? or 260?
-still has small scar around his heart
-likes the striking, so does jds so will be 2 titans clashing this fight will not go 5 rounds

All I know about Cat is I listened to the first like 30mins-1hour when she was in the Joe Rogan podcast a while back and mentally she was a mess. It was red flag after red flag... multiple issues. I forget them all - but camp, diet, mental, drugs, energy, injury, etc. Excited to see the fight though. =)

Don't believe me? Listen to the first 40 mins of this...

All I know about Cat is I listened to the first like 30mins-1hour when she was in the Joe Rogan podcast a while back and mentally she was a mess. It was red flag after red flag... multiple issues. I forget them all - but camp, diet, mental, drugs, energy, injury, etc. Excited to see the fight though. =)

Don't believe me? Listen to the first 40 mins of this...

Damn, only 3 minutes in and already hearing she received a tramautic brain injury from Nunes which lowered her estrogen, testosterone, DHEA, and permanently gave her hyperthyroidism

I listened to it again quick - first 40 mins:

Cat:
- not a fan of western medicine
- have medical problems
- After Nunes fight, I'm hypothyroid, did not want to get hit in the Ronda fight, have traumatic brain injury
- I'm still learning the basics in striking
- At Alliance now, because I had to leave Colorado because of the head injury, the elevation
- I was at the Mayo clinic for weeks, they said I had to leave
- There's times I'm the ugly white girl on the ground and I need coaches to tell me to stay on the airdyne
- I was supposed to go to ATT, but I didn't want too
- Then I was supposed to go to Blackhouse, but I wanted BJJ, I need that
- At Atos Jiu-Jitsu in San Diego, they are whipping my ass
- My last fight at the start (Ketlen Vieira), I was like do I remember what to do, so I was like, I'll just throw bombs
- I didn't wake up until the 3rd round
- At the clinic, I sit in the lobby with Alzheimer people and vets, it's beautiful, they use magnets
- I was on two antidepressants since the Nunes fight
- I have alot of stress, I have a kid
- 2 weeks before a fight, I'm in the fetal position
- Julianna Pena had my old coaches, it broke my heart, I wanted to go home, the drama
- I thought about retiring, I had to go to the UFC PI to help
- When Nunes grabbed my knee, I got so mad, it was all my problems in the past year
- These last two, I wake up late in the fights, so I don't know who won when it goes to decision
- I also tried MMALab and tried LA, but too much traffic
- I also went to Thailand and Mexico
- I've lost 3 in a row, I look back to my happier times it was when I was doing muay thai and BJJ
- So I'm doing Muay Thai with two coaches now
- I beat myself in those fights, my head
- So I moved to San Diego, it cost a lot of money
- Vieira beating me in BJJ hurt, stung
- I had to get new coaches, gym and be in grief at the same time
- My husband did my social media, it's hard to be on there now
- Social media is so discouraging, never had to deal with that in the past
- It will f*ck up your day

Damn, only 3 minutes in and already hearing she received a tramautic brain injury from Nunes which lowered her estrogen, testosterone, DHEA, and permanently gave her hyperthyroidism
<6>

Massive confidence decrease in Cat.

mess or not, this is still a very winnable fight for cat stylistically - but i'm glad i'm only 1u deep.

Cat being overly dramatic on the JRE isnt that concerning to me. Why was she even on the podcast? She had to justify her being there with some dramatic talking points.

good to hear ottow saying he's going to be relentless and push a pace - that's exactly what i wanted to hear. if he hangs at range and lets sage get into his groove i'll be pissed.

good to hear ottow saying he's going to be relentless and push a pace - that's exactly what i wanted to hear. if he hangs at range and lets sage get into his groove i'll be pissed.

Another plus for Ottow is that Pura Vida is starting to get some better guys in there so he has more talented training partners.

He was also on the Luke Thomas show yesterday and he's clearly a pretty bright guy. Fight IQ, on the surface anyway, shouldn't be an issue for him.

Another plus for Ottow is that Pura Vida is starting to get some better guys in there so he has more talented training partners.

He was also on the Luke Thomas show yesterday and he's clearly a pretty bright guy. Fight IQ, on the surface anyway, shouldn't be an issue for him.

yeah i get that feeling too but godamn i've bet on a few grapplers recently that have gone k-1 so perhaps i'm paranoid lol.

Anyone have a strong read on Garcia/De La Rosa? I'm leaning towards De La Rosa. Slightly bigger, more experience, better competition overall, grappling edge, etc.

Anyone have a strong read on Garcia/De La Rosa? I'm leaning towards De La Rosa. Slightly bigger, more experience, better competition overall, grappling edge, etc.

I think that De la Rosa might have the grappling edge, and this fight could see a lot of grappling.

Who knows though.

Official weigh-ins & face-off. There will be no ceremonial weigh-ins today. Although there will be an FS1 weigh-in show like usual where they will show footage and discuss the card.

Back