UMA Custom 16oz Gloves

StRatoCastR

Gear Tester/Reviewer
@Brown
Reaction score
What's up guys/gals?

Earlier this year, I tried a new company by the name of Universal Martial Arts (UMA)
Here is the 1st review.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f67/universal-martial-arts-12oz-custom-glove-review-2931963/

Anyhow, I wanted to go a little more crazy on my 2nd pair. And I really wanted to put them to use, more often than not I take pics of the gloves brand new then review them. But this time I decided to use them and then take the pics. So you will see light scuffs, and basically the normal wear and tear and wrinkles that normally happen to gloves.

I know people always ask for contact info so I will post this first

Contact
[email protected]

00923348141369 - Phone

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/uni.ma.73

The look:
I wanted something that looked more aggressive. Im not a skull and crossbones kind of guy usually, but the graphic was just too hot to pass on. Lots of detail on the logo, a different type of skull that I'm used to seeing. The White, Black, and Gold are some of my favorite colors and I wanted something a little different than what I'm used to doing albeit still maintaining the same color choices.

The gold foil is shiny and not dull, and the white reminds me a lot of the Cleto Reyes White. Stitching is very tidy, this time I specified breathing holes both on the thumb and on the palm. Everything is hand made to perfection. I know the logo may be a little off for some, but its exactly what I asked for. In fact, props to the guys at uma because the logo took 4 revisions on sketches until it came out correctly. So I really applaud their patience.

Thumblock is the robust type. Very clean looking glove.

Fit/Feel:
I asked for a custom foam, I wanted something with more give and softer. If you read my previous review on the other gloves I purchased from UMA i highlighted this. But this foam is AMAZING. I tend to like Mexican style gloves anyhow. Its really of a sweet spot between Winning and Reyes. The gloves dont quite bottom out all the way like Reyes. I would definitely still classify them as a punchers' glove. Man, do I love the feeling. I really prefer them over my Cleto Reyes. And anyone thats read my past reviews, I am totally a Reyes man.

The padding on the gloves dont totally bottom out which is good, but they did require some breaking in. I would definitely say these gloves are good to spar with; they allow you to land solid shots while still maintaining a good level of protection for the hands.

The gloves are pretty well balanced, the cuff is a bit longer than I like but I dont think i would change that. They are the same length as Everlast powerlocks. They are about an inch longer than C17s. Top Boxer/Beaulieu are about 1/4 of an inch shorter than the UMAs as well.

The liner is really soft, very comfortable, Im totally a fan.

The 4 inch velcro is my favorite style, and I use it exclusively in all my gloves these days.

Performance
At this point, Ive been slowly killing my stash off while thinking and brainstorming new ideas for custom gloves as I pretty much retired the idea of getting off the shelf gloves at this point.

Each glove I really sit down and think what I really want in a glove and this one just puts me even closer. Im always tweaking and tinkering with ideas. But man I can not PRAISE these gloves enough. There are elements of Mexican style gloves and some elements of protectiveness. This glove does a great job of balancing the two. Again the glove is phenomenal and UMA is a great company to work with.

Cost:
$100 + Shipping

Wait Time:
5-8 Weeks

Overall:
UMA is definitely a trailblazer. They do offer some ready made gloves for those intimidated to go fully custom like I did. They also allow you to totally design your own if that is what you seek. The craftsmanship is superb. The customer service is outstanding. It seems every month they offer more and more colors, and choices for gloves. Customization wise, I think UMA offers the best bang for the buck at this point and they are really eager to service the customer.

Score:
A+

Final Thoughts
UMA is awesome, they will aid you through the process. They offer a variety of logos as well. If all you want is color palette swaps they can do that as well.

PS:
NO COPYING MY GLOVES THIS TIME!

Photobucket wont let me edit the photos anymore :( So some will come out side ways... Sorry about that.

UMAs1_zpsdlcbvl0m.jpg

UMAs2_zpsnrqicgj0.jpg

UMAs3_zps6cbg8ttk.jpg

UMAs5_zpsvykynhon.jpg

Last edited:
Damn Strat!!!!! Those are some wicked gloves!!!!!! Love the color combo and that logo is my kind of logo!!!! Don't worry....I will not be the copycat.....lol. Thanks for putting this up!!!!

Really good color combo. I have mixed feeling about the logo, but I find yours better then some of the original UMA logos.

The review itself was, like the others, perfect.

Really like the idea of showing the gloves after several weeks of use.

How many rounds of spar did you get with these? My sparring gloves have similar creases and wear

Also somebody copied your custom Winning gloves but in 14oz lol

Last edited:
Damn those gloves look mighty fine! The color combo...classic. Craftsmanship on point. And that profile! I have to say that the shape and overall profile of the glove looks very well balanced...I can only imagine what they feel like on hand. Although I am not a heavy poster like most of you, I do know what you mean about straying away from "off the shelf gloves". Customs seem the way to go and everything asides my main staples are going to be left behind.

Did you provide hand measurements for these customs as well?

Last edited:
Mega ive had the gloves for months didnt really tally up the rounds this time. They just got plenty of use in the mean time.

Last edited:
Can you give more detail with the foam? I'm looking to order a sparring pair. I wish I would have asked about the split thumb when I ordered my first pair though.

All the details i will defer to the guys at UMA, they know all of it in great detail.

Hello Guys,

Thank you for liking our gloves.

Ok guyz so we are offering different padding's of different densities.
Depending on what kind of padding one is used to.
You can have multiple layer padding.

1) 2 layer padding: Top most is UMA Silver Tech foam and inner layer is Special Dense EVA sheet . This is a medium density padding.

2) 3 layer padding: Top most Layer is UMA Silver Tech Foam and Middle one is Special Dense EVA sheet and inner most is Special UMA King Tech Gel foam on the punch Area. This one is soft to medium density.

3) 3 layer padding: Two UMA Silver Tech Foam layers with a layer of UMA ULTRA Hard sheet on the punch area. This is our hard density padding.

4) 3 layer padding: Upper most layer is special UMA Silver Tech Foam with a full layer of our UMA Special King Tech Gel foam in the middle and a layer of UMA Special King Tech Gel foam on the punch area.This is soft density padding.

5) IMF: We are using IMF padding's as well with different densities.

Now what you guyz need to know is that these are normally used padding. what we can do is that we can play with the sizes or gauges of these different sheets/layers to create a number of diffeerent padding depending on what one likes or is used to or comfortable with.

what we used for Strato's pair is the number 4th.

We hope the above information will be very useful to understand what we are using inside our gloves.

If someone want to have his way of padding we can do that as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I have just started to use the pair you made for me and so far they are great! I wish I could have brought them with me to Thailand, but unfortunately I ran out of room. Now that I'm back I'm hoping to put them to the paces and also order a pair of sparring gloves soon.

Awesome man, glad you love em as much as i did mine

Awesome looking gloves and excellent review as usual.

I'll be doing a review soon myself.

Nice Adam, will be looking forward to your review!

Nice Adam, will be looking forward to your review!

Yeah man, I'm excited to try some new stuff. I had a few injuries that took me out of training for a bit and I just sort ofost interest in gear since I pretty much had all the best/sherdog approved things (fg2900, winnings, tokushu, c17, you know). Now that I'm back to regular training I'm pumped to have some new gloves to try.

Mohammed put up a teaser of my new gloves in the top boxer thread.

Yeah i saw. Yeah looking forward to it. Youll have to give UMA a shot next ;)

UMAs1_zpsdlcbvl0m.jpg

:icon_surp YIKES!!! :icon_surp

DAMN SON.

SOME UGLY ASS GLOVES RIGHT THERE.:icon_neut

Is that a Death Clutch logo?

Back