UMA R-9 Headgear

StRatoCastR, I enjoy reading your reviews and I love how the metallic blue looks on your R9 headgear. Also, lol you look intimidating wearing the R9, but seriously keep up the good work. I look forward to reading your new reviews.

I hope you have a fast recovery.

Thanks! I think there may have been some permanent damage to my vision (double vision when I look up too far), but otherwise I'm okay. Doctor says I should give it a few weeks before any strenuous activity and definitely no sparring in the meantime.

There's no use in thinking of what I could have done to prevent it (other than keeping my hands up and moving my head more), but I wish I had invested in better headgear earlier.

Thanks! I think there may have been some permanent damage to my vision (double vision when I look up too far), but otherwise I'm okay. Doctor says I should give it a few weeks before any strenuous activity and definitely no sparring in the meantime.

There's no use in thinking of what I could have done to prevent it (other than keeping my hands up and moving my head more), but I wish I had invested in better headgear earlier.

Just curious, can laser eye surgery fix your vision?

Just curious, can laser eye surgery fix your vision?
No, the problem is not with the eye itself, but with the nerves and tissue connected to it. Apparently, when the orbital floor was fractured a bunch of nerves and tissue were displaced causing my eye to be restricted somehow in terms of its muscles (this is my poor understanding of things). The surgery I had placed those nerves/tissue back where they were supposed to be.

So my guess is laser eye surgery won't be able to fix it because it's dealing with a different problem. I've heard it said that it's possible for the diplopia to heal spontaneously, but I don't know how common that is. The surgery did fix most of the double vision, but there is still some when I try to look up (which stinks because it makes it harder to keep my chin down and still see my opponent when I spar).

When I look up, my left eye will stop at a certain point while my right eye will keep going up. This results in double vision. I'm really praying that it will somehow fix itself, but I don't know...

No, the problem is not with the eye itself, but with the nerves and tissue connected to it. Apparently, when the orbital floor was fractured a bunch of nerves and tissue were displaced causing my eye to be restricted somehow in terms of its muscles (this is my poor understanding of things). The surgery I had placed those nerves/tissue back where they were supposed to be.

So my guess is laser eye surgery won't be able to fix it because it's dealing with a different problem. I've heard it said that it's possible for the diplopia to heal spontaneously, but I don't know how common that is. The surgery did fix most of the double vision, but there is still some when I try to look up (which stinks because it makes it harder to keep my chin down and still see my opponent when I spar).

When I look up, my left eye will stop at a certain point while my right eye will keep going up. This results in double vision. I'm really praying that it will somehow fix itself, but I don't know...

I'm glad that the surgery fixed most of your double vision and that your starting to train again. Keep us updated with your experience with the headgear, it would be kind of cool to hear your review.

20160211_172942-1_wm_zpsx4rn5opq.jpg

StRatoCastR, I enjoy reading your reviews and I love how the metallic blue looks on your R9 headgear. Also, lol you look intimidating wearing the R9, but seriously keep up the good work. I look forward to reading your new reviews.

I appreciate it!

Wow. Those ear guards really protrude. I haven't decided if I like that.
It might be the angle. My UMA R-9 doesn't have noticeably protruding ear guards. I'm looking at it now and seeing if maybe a certain angle make them appear bigger than they actually are...

Looking at the other pictures of the black/red head gear, I think it's just that particular R-9 pictured that has the extra large ear guards.

It might be the angle. My UMA R-9 doesn't have noticeably protruding ear guards. I'm looking at it now and seeing if maybe a certain angle make them appear bigger than they actually are...

Looking at the other pictures of the black/red head gear, I think it's just that particular R-9 pictured that has the extra large ear guards.
Yeah its just that one. The normal R-9 has regular ear guards. that black and red is heavily padded.

Yeah its just that one. The normal R-9 has regular ear guards. that black and red is heavily padded.

The more I think about it, the more I like them. I think UMA will be my next purchase.

The more I think about it, the more I like them. I think UMA will be my next purchase.
I have the stock black one. I actually took off the logo (I have a minimalist compulsion)—so it's just completely black. It looks really nice. I haven't been able to test it out yet because I'm not allowed to spar (doctor's orders), but it fits well and feels really comfortable.

I have the stock black one. I actually took off the logo (I have a minimalist compulsion)—so it's just completely black. It looks really nice. I haven't been able to test it out yet because I'm not allowed to spar (doctor's orders), but it fits well and feels really comfortable.
Post a pic

Wow. Those ear guards really protrude. I haven't decided if I like that.

Thats the new r9x. People are so worried about not having enough padding on the original r9. Which imo is dumb because having a low profile but protective headgear is the best option. The original r9 is the best imo.

People attribute protection with padding, so they should invest into a wes welker like helmet. And if dont know who wes welker is google him up. Thats whats extra padding gets you.

Back