Uma ultra 16 oz video review

Another short update: More than 2 months since the last.

I feel like if I don't drop this short comment down I am being an ass.

With all that said before and done. The ultra are so far one of my favourite gloves now. I have said that given time I could completely changed my view on gloves, because new gloves are hard to compete with fully broken in ones that you are already used to in terms of the weight, shape, style etc all that. (Yes style matters, some gloves I throw more of a certain technique or specifically use a pair to train certain aspect)

Imo as of now, they beat Fairtex BGV1 & BGV9, Twins BGVL-3 & BGVL-6, Top King Superstar & World Series, Hayabusa Tokushu & Kanpeki 3, UMA RT-41 & IR, Venum Elte & Giant 3.0, Rival RB11, Raja Lace-up, Ringside Apex, Fumetsu Sparring & Bag gloves, Pro Box Pro Spar, RDX T9...

The list go on and on, but ONLY imo if you are in the market looking at these gloves vs the ultra for bag and pads work.

(Please remember that this is not a fact, just a subjective opinion according to my taste in gloves.)

I like the ultra so much I am planning to order another pair and write a full detailed review soon when I am free.

Interesting.

I really wish UMA would put up stock Ultras on their site again. Even their stock IRs are gone. I have both models; and I prefer the IRs.

Interesting.

I really wish UMA would put up stock Ultras on their site again. Even their stock IRs are gone. I have both models; and I prefer the IRs.

I'd like that too, only if their stock line ultra not using metallic leather again, that is probably the only downside I have found. As the ultra are very durable, but the metallic fading make them look so bad in appearance real soon. That's why I'm aiming at custom color next, also uma's custom gloves seems to have much better craftsmanship and quality compare to when they have to mass produced the same gloves.

I'd like that too, only if their stock line ultra not using metallic leather again, that is probably the only downside I have found. As the ultra are very durable, but the metallic fading make them look so bad in appearance real soon. That's why I'm aiming at custom color next, also uma's custom gloves seems to have much better craftsmanship and quality compare to when they have to mass produced the same gloves.

As it should be. Mass production gloves are exactly that. Good gloves cranked out for the vast majority of users. Custom gloves are going to have more attention to detail as each pair is made and QA'd individually

And yeah ive harped on the metallic leather issue many times. They require far greater care and wipe down/conditioning maintenance.

As it should be. Mass production gloves are exactly that. Good gloves cranked out for the vast majority of users. Custom gloves are going to have more attention to detail as each pair is made and QA'd individually

And yeah ive harped on the metallic leather issue many times. They require far greater care and wipe down/conditioning maintenance.

Yeh, that make sense of course. It isn't because I am unfamiliar with mass produced gloves quality, wasn't expecting top notch QC either, but since they aren't as big as the like of Everlast, Hayabusa etc where majority of the retailers around the world stock their gloves. So with uma reputation at the time, I guess I was still expecting an average QC. The first pair that I got the QC was just straight up terrible. May be that was the worst pair they had on the shelf, since it was an older design that were no longer made that way and the second "replacement" pair with the newer design is decent in quality.

Regardless, UMA has told me that they would be making only custom for the ultra now, so the QC issue would be totally out of the window, which I think is a great move to continue their good reputation.

About the metallic, they just faded severely right after the first hour of training, so it wasn't anything I could do to take care about it.

So....

That's why I ordered the orange & black pair from above. Sort out every single issue from the stock version. And even with the price tag being much higher I think it is well worth the extra.cost. The ultra are great and paying extra to ensure the quality plus choosing whatever color you want? Sounds good to me. If the gloves padding, design etc are bad then you don't care about it, but when they are great, you want them to be perfect. Custom made ultra is the way to go imo, even if there are both options.

On a side note, some how uma has made my pair twice and sent me the extra for free (So generous again, thank you!). The other pair seems to have different padding and lining in them. Gona test them out as well and put them in the up coming review that I have been wanting to do for a long while. (Tokushu vs Kenpeki 3.0 vs Ultra vs this alternative padded Ultra.) So far on hands, this padding feels more similar to the Regenesis padding..?

Last edited:
As far as metallic they shouldnt fade or chip in one hour. That was just a bad glove/batch. Metallics even with minimal care should last 6 months at the very least. However, if you do provide maximum care the metallic should "blend" in with the leather provding a nice rustic look many times after the course of a year or so if heavily used.

As far as QC it should be moderate for stock gloves as they are made in an assembly line. So horrible QC was simply an oversight. Its not an excuse, but many companies deal with mass returns like title, ringside, everlast, century, etc.

Many of us have experienced lemons feom each company listed ; especially big box retailers. Color bleed IMFs, bubbled IMFs, powerlock foam breaking, etc. That doesnt excuse any company for sending them out. But the homegrown companies like ring to cage, uma, topboxer, etc will usually send out another pair to correct their error and thats what makes them special and caring about the customer.

Which without rambling too long makes reviewing so important and providing feedback to those that choose to listen. Because one bad pair wont break the company, but if they choose not to fix the error that indeed will.

As far as metallic they shouldnt fade or chip in one hour. That was just a bad glove/batch. Metallics even with minimal care should last 6 months at the very least. However, if you do provide maximum care the metallic should "blend" in with the leather provding a nice rustic look many times after the course of a year or so if heavily used.

As far as QC it should be moderate for stock gloves as they are made in an assembly line. So horrible QC was simply an oversight. Its not an excuse, but many companies deal with mass returns like title, ringside, everlast, century, etc.

Many of us have experienced lemons feom each company listed ; especially big box retailers. Color bleed IMFs, bubbled IMFs, powerlock foam breaking, etc. That doesnt excuse any company for sending them out. But the homegrown companies like ring to cage, uma, topboxer, etc will usually send out another pair to correct their error and thats what makes them special and caring about the customer.

Which without rambling too long makes reviewing so important and providing feedback to those that choose to listen. Because one bad pair wont break the company, but if they choose not to fix the error that indeed will.

Yes, of course. Uma's way to deal with this was beyond what I originally asked for, I stated that as well previously. The customer service is excellent. And when the "replacement" pair turn out to be great, I'm not shy away to say that either. It's just what it is, sharing my experience about the products and the company, both good and bad.

Back