Unable to get in reach due to constant jabs?

SinisterOne

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Ok so during kickboxing and muay thai sparrings, I do pretty good against anyone except for this one guy who keeps spamming the jabs and or front kicks to keep me at bay anytime I try to get to him, I am just unable to touch him and I totally don´t know what to do against this sorta fighting style, I am just being played around and get frustrated after a point and drop my guard. So far... I tried slipping in, tried kicks, tried baiting, going for his blind side, even tried taking the hits and go in, the guy is pretty fast and insta gets out my reach. nothing seems to work, this guy just does perfect job at keeping me at distance and play his game.
FYI, I am a swarmer/slugger type of fighter known for great endurance and strength and overwhelming offense. I destroy anyone in my range/reach, the problem with this guy is that, I really don´t get to fight my style, I am zoned and distanced all the time, I don´t wanna get this sorta opponent against me in an official match and lose terribly, any tips and tricks on what to do?

I try to focus on countering punches with kicks and countering kicks with punches. When he jabs lean back and throw a lowkick, or move your head and kick the body. When he front kicks, catch it and fire off punches, ideally to the body. Or as he lowers his leg off of his front kick throw a 1-2 or maybe try a cross-hook-kick...

I find following that rule you generally have success with any style. I'm not expert though. Back in the gym after over a 2 year lay off. Bit rusty....interested to hear others input

You are probably marching forward too much. Sometimes making him miss by backing up and circling can throw off his rhythm and range and enable you to break inside with a slip or parry.

You are probably marching forward too much. Sometimes making him miss by backing up and circling can throw off his rhythm and range and enable you to break inside with a slip or parry.
sounds good but it wouldnt work for me, I don´t have the speed If I tried to circle around and sneak in, he would still not let it due to his footwork and rhytm being superior.

I try to focus on countering punches with kicks and countering kicks with punches. When he jabs lean back and throw a lowkick, or move your head and kick the body. When he front kicks, catch it and fire off punches, ideally to the body. Or as he lowers his leg off of his front kick throw a 1-2 or maybe try a cross-hook-kick...

I find following that rule you generally have success with any style. I'm not expert though. Back in the gym after over a 2 year lay off. Bit rusty....interested to hear others input
This actually can work, I am gonna try this and see how it turns out, thanks!!!

more advices are welcomed.

Maybe sound stupid, but did you try to catch the front kicks? You literally have his feet and can give hard inside low kicks or outside low kicks and many more options. That only let's the jabs as a problem. Would highly advice mastering catching the front kicks.

Maybe try to do the push kicks yourself when he jabs? And then of course say ''what now you little snake bitch''.

Tell me if it works out.

sounds good but it wouldnt work for me, I don´t have the speed If I tried to circle around and sneak in, he would still not let it due to his footwork and rhytm being superior.
I'm not suggesting you circle to sneak in, I'm suggesting you break his rhythm and range control by making him miss by moving away from his jab (back or to an angle) rather than continuing to walk straight into it.

This actually can work, I am gonna try this and see how it turns out, thanks!!!

more advices are welcomed.

Keep me posted man. I've been improving a lot following this rule. You are going to make him think twice if he throws a front kick and his leg gets caught and he gets hit with punches to the body and head. And again he will think twice when he transfers weight to his front leg to jab you and you lean your head back avoiding his jab and kick his leg with all that weight on it....you should be able to get him to play your game soon enough and you will light him up bro

Maybe sound stupid, but did you try to catch the front kicks? You literally have his feet and can give hard inside low kicks or outside low kicks and many more options. That only let's the jabs as a problem. Would highly advice mastering catching the front kicks.

Maybe try to do the push kicks yourself when he jabs? And then of course say ''what now you little snake bitch''.

Tell me if it works out.
ok the last part did make me laugh, lmao. I find that its mainly his jabs that give me the trouble, gonna try going for kicks myself when he keeps that up and see what happens.

I'm not suggesting you circle to sneak in, I'm suggesting you break his rhythm and range control by making him miss by moving away from his jab (back or to an angle) rather than continuing to walk straight into it.
I am not sure how to break his rhytm off, I wasn´t even just walking straight into them all the time, It seemed that no matter how I tried to approach him or counter him, he could keep doing whatever he was doing perfectly just fine, I am more of a boxer that doesn´t use much kicks maybe adding more kicks in my play will make the difference next time, I will update it here.

Keep me posted man. I've been improving a lot following this rule. You are going to make him think twice if he throws a front kick and his leg gets caught and he gets hit with punches to the body and head. And again he will think twice when he transfers weight to his front leg to jab you and you lean your head back avoiding his jab and kick his leg with all that weight on it....you should be able to get him to play your game soon enough and you will light him up bro
Thanks bro!! I am gonna work on those kicks to ruin his neverending jab spamming game, it gets REAL annoying after a point lol.

ok the last part did make me laugh, lmao. I find that its mainly his jabs that give me the trouble, gonna try going for kicks myself when he keeps that up and see what happens.

I am not sure how to break his rhytm off, I wasn´t even just walking straight into them all the time, It seemed that no matter how I tried to approach him or counter him, he could keep doing whatever he was doing perfectly just fine, I am more of a boxer that doesn´t use much kicks maybe adding more kicks in my play will make the difference next time, I will update it here.

Thanks bro!! I am gonna work on those kicks to ruin his neverending jab spamming game, it gets REAL annoying after a point lol.

That's my go to for jab heavy guys ..knowing that they are working jabs like that just work the leg. I'm also working on Trapping the arm he's jabbing with and throwing the left knee to the gut (I'm southpaw) so satisfying.

I'm a jabber. Got a fast snappy double jab too.

know what i hate the most?

When people jab me.

Play his game right back to him.

That's my go to for jab heavy guys ..knowing that they are working jabs like that just work the leg. I'm also working on Trapping the arm he's jabbing with and throwing the left knee to the gut (I'm southpaw) so satisfying.

Wait how do you trap the arm?

I'm a jabber. Got a fast snappy double jab too.

know what i hate the most?

When people jab me.

Play his game right back to him.
It doesn´t quite work I am southpaw, I tried jabbing him back it just ends up, me jabbing his jabbing hand most the time lmao and my jabs aren´t as good, My short range attacks esp uppercuts are strong.

cut the ring off, corner him. Guard and force in. Parry the jab and counter with something, maybe a kick, or catch his teep.

Wait how do you trap the arm?

It doesn´t quite work I am southpaw, I tried jabbing him back it just ends up, me jabbing his jabbing hand most the time lmao and my jabs aren´t as good, My short range attacks esp uppercuts are strong.

I usually try to do it as he threw a jab and I moved my head, trap, cross/knee/kick etc

I usually try to do it as he threw a jab and I moved my head, trap, cross/knee/kick etc

Oh god, thank you a tons!!!!
I am gonna try this kick answer for punches and punches for kicks technique and hand traps next time I hit the gym.
Can´t wait!!!

Back