Unbiased: Mcgregor vs Nurmagomedov

I just wanted to create a thread with the sole purpose of unbiased discussion among MMA fans

throne-of-lies.gif

OP your take would make sense if Khabib was 3 inches shorter. Unfortunately, he's taller than Conor.

Conor has never been able to finish a UFC-caliber fighter taller than he is.

Joe Duffy
Max Holloway
Nate Diaz 1
Nate Diaz 2

Conor has never finished a taller fighter. Khabib is taller than Conor and has never been finished period. But you're predicting that Conor will finish Khabib?

Dustin Porier is taller.

In my unbiased opinion Darrel Horcher was a tougher fight for Khabib than Conor.

OP your take would make sense if Khabib was 3 inches shorter. Unfortunately, he's taller than Conor.

Conor has never been able to finish a UFC-caliber fighter taller than he is.

Joe Duffy
Max Holloway
Nate Diaz 1
Nate Diaz 2

Conor has never finished a taller fighter. Khabib is taller than Conor and has never been finished period. But you're predicting that Conor will finish Khabib?

I don't think height has anything to do resilience to being knocked out. The last time I read about it, we didn't know a whole lot about being unconscious because we don't know a lot about being conscious and consciousness in general.

Anyways. Max Holloway and Nate Diaz probably aren't the best examples of the argument of Conor having difficulty knocking out taller fighters since both Nate and Max have shown time and time again that they possess incredible chins, regardless of their opponent.

As for never being finished, Roy Nelson was never knocked out until he did get knocked out.

I believe that Conor's speed, movement and accuracy will make it very hard for Khabib to get a hold of him, and Khabib doesn't have much of a power double, he's more of a grinder. If he does get a hold of him though, McG is in a tough spot for sure, but the fight starts standing up. It's the proverbial striker vs grappler fight and it's very interesting to have one of the best strikers in the UFC versus one of the best grapplers.

I won't be betting on that one for sure, I am about 50/50. I have no clue who wins it but I don't think it will be a close fight no matter who wins. It's like fire and water, either water chokes out fire or it gets vaporized by it.

Which makes the anticipation even more intense!

My honest opinion is that the fight ends up somewhere between Conor-Aldo/Conor-Alvarez.
I give Khabib a modest chance at winning. Conor is just too good at what he does best and I dont think Khabib will be able to consistently get close.

I use to think the opposite, that Khabib would mop the floor with McGregor but I think that Ragin Al fight opened some eyes.

I also believe Conor is very smart and wouldn't take this fight unless he was confident he had a gameplan to stop Khabib.

Personally, I think I would prefer Khabib win just due to me thinking Conor wont defend the belt at all. I believe for us diehards (harcores, whatever term you want to use) it's better that Conor lose so we can get more matchups we want to see.
But mad respect to both guys. I like both and would love a good 5 round fight.

I am also hoping that Khabib wins, it opens Conor to so many match ups (Considering he get's knocked down a rank or two)

Conor has nothing but a punchers chance. Once Conman realises that Khabibs "glass chin" is actually iron he'll shit his pants and give up his neck like he always does. Conor is a quitter and that'll be proved again.

How much do you think Conor has improved his grappling for this fight?

Khabib has shown time and time again that he has some glaring holes in his standup that I would be surprised if Conor wouldn't be able to exploit them. Backing straight back up with your chin high is one of the cardinal sins in boxing that only a few got away with. (Muhammad Ali is the first person to come in mind)

Pulling straight back the way Khabib tends to do also leaves him very vulnerable to straight punches which just happens to be Conor's best strike. His straight left, although usually over-exaggerated by many of his fans, is genuinely his best strike and quite a potent one at that. I don't see Khabib being able to take continuous shots without being hurt, or even knocked out.

I share the same sentiments regarding Khabib's weak standup. I think the outcome may depend on whether he can weather Conor's punches before taking Conor down.

Conor also seems to have lost his KO power now that he's no longer fighting the little guys. He'll need to keep Khabib at bay as best as he can.

That ass needs a name, sir.

Yes we know, you are the Mysterio of Conor load guzzlers. Actually you’re much worse. At least his threads are his opinions. Your threads are just you copying someone else’s opinion.
Nah.

Mysterio’s opinions aren’t real, they’re trolls. He’s/she’s actually brilliant because although the comments offered are cartoonish, the threads get loads of bites, bumped ad nauseum and in one-on-one conversation Mysterio gives just enough back that people keep responding.

Mysterio and TheProof are the two best trolls going around the heavies right now. It’s great to watch them work.

While not enough to make me think Conor will win, I give him more of a fighting chance than I did a while ago...

His defense is good for his fight style. The stats back that up. MMA is not just boxing and he's handled plenty of strikers. I think half his fights in the UFC have been against southpaws too. You have to understand the grappling threat.

Last edited:
I think Conor's saving grace is that Khabib isn't much of a submission grappler and I go back to the Iaintaquitta fight. If Conor can stay in the fight until the championship rounds and can shrug off a few lazy TD attempts by Khabib I can definitely see Khabib getting slept.

I'm glad you said this, because that's how I see it, and no one is saying this. Everyone seems to be saying that Conor needs to finish Khabib early or he has no chance. I see it as the opposite. Even a tired Conor isn't going to stand there and eat Khabib's jab.

I share the same sentiments regarding Khabib's weak standup. I think the outcome may depend on whether he can weather Conor's punches before taking Conor down.

Conor also seems to have lost his KO power now that he's no longer fighting the little guys. He'll need to keep Khabib at bay as best as he can.

I agree with your points. Although one of the reasons why I think he can KO or at the very least hurt Khabib is the way Khabib pulls straight back. If Conor can catch him as Khabib backs straight up, that leaves no room for Khabib to roll with the punches.

That ass needs a name, sir.

This is a fine point as well.

McGregor can outclass him from start to finish if the fight doesn't go to the ground, much like he did with Alvarez, this puncher's chance thing is idiotic. You can say the same of Khabib that he only has a wrestling chance.
But history does show that wrestlers win most matches with boxers, grapplers over punchers. Conor may be the exception to that rule, though.
Good post....

McGregor has shown major problems with his gas tank and has been taken down quite a few times. Khabib has taken everyone down and has an exhausting pressure style.

McGregor can't really throw kicks in case they get caught. Khabib really only has to watch out for one punch down the middle.

If McGregor gets taken down his gas tank starts getting hit and he has shown a questionable heart when hurt.

Even if McGregor lands a shot while khabib is attempting a takedown the punch may land to the top of the head. Its highly unlikely to catch khabib right on the chin.

If McGregor was an unknown and hadnt had the Aldo KO along with the other KOs I could see khabib underestimating him and getting caught. But the book is out on McGregor. Aldo wouldn't throw a long range left hook like that again, suicidal thing to do.

If McGregor fights a perfect fight I still think he loses. I don't give him a chance and I will be betting accordingly and posting my bet slip before the fight.

Back