Unbiased: Mcgregor vs Nurmagomedov

khabib can deal with strikers and conor can deal with grapplers

I dont think it's as black & white as most people are calling it. both will have a hard time executing their game plan.

How much do you think Conor has improved his grappling for this fight?
In Absolute sense ofcorse he would have improved his grappling by a decent margin. But relative to Khabib its nothing. Khabib will easily control him and initiate gnp. Conor can only win this thru KO/TKO in first 2 rounds coz we all know how slow he gets later on. As i said, it all depends on Khabibs chin, what if turns out he has a Diaz like chin?

McGregor can't really throw kicks in case they get caught.

That didn't really stop Conor from throwing body kicks against Mendes which ultimately led to Mendes gassing out. (That and of course, the short notice)

Khabib really only has to watch out for one punch down the middle.

Untrue. Conor does not only have his straight left to threaten Khabib with, he has other strikes including kicks (Which he may or may not utilize against and incredible grappler like Khabib) And of course, it is easier to say "Khabib only has to watch one punch down the middle" than to do it in actuality. What makes Conor's left straight dangerous isn't the strike itself but the feints and the set ups he uses in order for him to increase the chances of him landing the left.

Even if McGregor lands a shot while khabib is attempting a takedown the punch may land to the top of the head. Its highly unlikely to catch khabib right on the chin.

To be fair, we have seen numerous knockouts that came from grazing shots on the side of the head/ temple area.

In Absolute sense ofcorse he would have improved his grappling by a decent margin. But relative to Khabib its nothing. Khabib will easily control him and initiate gnp. Conor can only win this thru KO/TKO in first 2 rounds coz we all know how slow he gets later on. As i said, it all depends on Khabibs chin, what if turns out he has a Diaz like chin?
So far he's shown it. He took a couple solid straight lefts from MJ and a wheel kick to the dome from Barboza. Al caught him with some overhands. Didnt even phase him.

Which to be fair, Khabib has shown. Diaz on the other hand, we have seen him (And his brother for that matter) Take shot after shot and keep going forward against different opponents. We haven't really seen the extent of Khabib's durability aside from absorbing monstrous spinning heel kicks from Barboza.

Edit: Also to add, we can also use that question for Khabib. How much has Khabib improved his striking, at the very least his striking defense since the AI fight?

This is an mma fight not a boxing match.

Khabib probably spent his entire camp game planning around not having to box.

This is an MMA fight, not a wrestling match.

Conor probably spent his entire camp game planning around not having to wrestle.

See what I did there?

I liken this to Cain-JDS.

Khabib is the better MMA fighter.

I'm rooting for Conor as Khabib is a pillow fisted blanket just like Cain.

Here's how it's gonna go:
  1. Conor will win 2 rounds due to better standup. Probably the first 2.
  2. Khabib will win 2 rounds due to better wrestling. Probably rounds 3 and 4.
  3. One (or more) round will be very close. Probably round 5 due to both gassing.
  4. The result will be a razor thin (perhaps split) decision. Probably for Khabib.
  5. Half of the fans and media will disagree with the decision. Sherdog will crash.
  6. Dana will book an instant rematch which both fighters will gladly sign.
  7. More money for the UFC, Conor and Khabib.
<WellThere>

I am also hoping that Khabib wins, it opens Conor to so many match ups (Considering he get's knocked down a rank or two)

I feel if Conor wins we're gonna get him vs. GSP, Woodley, or Diaz for the belt (if Nate beats Poirer). I dont see him ever defending like a "standard champion". Not that theres anything wrong with that; he should do what's best for him. But for the sake of the division it's probably better he loses. It's really hard to cheer against either of these guys though. Both are great in their own way.

I also believe Conor is very smart and wouldn't take this fight unless he was confident he had a gameplan to stop Khabib.
Explain to me what else was there for Conor to do in MMA? Crush manlets in FW? He did all there is to do there. Fight someone who is NOT the champ at LW? Why do that, when he can fight the champ, especially since Kavanagh said that ring rust is not real (lmao). Move up to WW? He will never hold the belt there with Woodley being champ and would most likely get murked by the top 5-3. No, Conor did not take this fight, because he is confident he'll win. He took this fight, because this is the only fight for him in MMA, at least at this moment.

Here's how it's gonna go:
  1. Conor will win 2 rounds due to better standup. Probably the first 2.
  2. Khabib will win 2 rounds due to better wrestling. Probably rounds 3 and 4.
  3. One (or more) round will be very close. Probably round 5 due to both gassing.
  4. The result will be a razor thin (perhaps split) decision. Probably for Khabib.
  5. Half of the fans and media will disagree with the decision. Sherdog will crash.
  6. Dana will book an instant rematch which both fighters will gladly sign.
  7. More money for the UFC, Conor and Khabib.
<WellThere>
<mma4>

Every Conor fight needs its own sub forum now.

Nobody gave a shit about Khabibs last fight.

Thinly veiled Conor nuthugging.

Conor has been taken down. Khabib’s chin has been touched. They both can win.

khabib

Positives

-grappling can dictate where the fight takes place.

-No distractions
(e.g lawsuits,starting a new multi million pound business)

Negatives-Don't know if chin will hold up.
-Don't know if will show up and make weight.

Mcgregor

Positives

-phenomenonal striking and distance management.

-knows he can ko khabib under the right circumstances.

Negatives

-pressure from fans/ufc to be the mystic mac persona and promote.

-2 year layoff

-distractions(lawsuit/new business)

-has maybe or maybe not been intoxicated during camp.

-has been known to gas our sometimes.

Tldr khabib retreats with his chin up.

What a thread...

McGregor can outclass him from start to finish if the fight doesn't go to the ground, much like he did with Alvarez
No, he will not, because unlike Alvarez, Khabib has no intentions of striking with Conor. Alvarez made his first pathetic attempt to shoot for the legs 1:30 into the first round and he still got the clinch even though he failed the TD (which would have lead to further TD attempts from Khabib). His first TD attempt was this late in the round, because he tried to not only pressure Conor with his striking, but outstrike him on the feet, and after he was lit up in an exchange he himself initiated. After failing this attempt, what did Alvarez do? Did he try to shoot more? Nope, he went back to trying to outstrike Conor on the feet, lmao. He did a total of 3 absolutely pitiful, half assed TD attempts in the entire fight that went into the second round <Oku02>

Khabib has specifically said that his plan is to shoot all night. Khabib's fight with Conor will be absolutely nothing like either Aldo or Alvarez, because Khabib has no intentions of playing to Conor's strength and trying to strike with him on his feet.

OP your take would make sense if Khabib was 3 inches shorter. Unfortunately, he's taller than Conor.

Conor has never been able to finish a UFC-caliber fighter taller than he is.

Joe Duffy
Max Holloway
Nate Diaz 1
Nate Diaz 2

Conor has never finished a taller fighter. Khabib is taller than Conor and has never been finished period. But you're predicting that Conor will finish Khabib?
possibly the stupidest thing ive ever read

As a rare fan of both guys (although i don't think its that rare people just like taking sides) i will try to give an objective take on this.

Khabib definitely has holes in his game standing up, he just puts so much pressure on guys with his grappling that its hard for them to mount any effective offence. Conor would have the best chance of anyone at LW to exploit those holes if he can get that shot in the small window he has before khabib grapple fucks him. But if the fight goes long he will get his openings.

So that threat is there for khabib, but i also think it's a lot about his approach. Sometimes he chooses to stand and trade longer than he needs to, if hes smart he wont make that mistake this fight. He has the much easier road to victory. Once he gets the chain TDs going its a matter of time before he gets conor down. Maybe not early in the first round but over time conor will get more tired and more worn out. He also has a suspect gas tank which i dont see lasting for 5 rounds against khabib's grappling.

So skill wise i think khabib has conor beat. If he can stay focussed through all the drama and mind games of conor and just listen to his coaches he should win.

Is this you?

mcfanboy-jpg.441451

Nice try, by the way.

Elbow is a bit pointy. Might not be TS.

Explain to me what else was there for Conor to do in MMA? Crush manlets in FW? He did all there is to do there. Fight someone who is NOT the champ at LW? Why do that, when he can fight the champ, especially since Kavanagh said that ring rust is not real (lmao). Move up to WW? He will never hold the belt there with Woodley being champ and would most likely get murked by the top 5-3. No, Conor did not take this fight, because he is confident he'll win. He took this fight, because this is the only fight for him in MMA, at least at this moment.

He took it because the UFC wants him to do B I G fights and Conor wants to get the best terms possible. So Conor was like " *insert retarded irish yelling here* I want 30 mill and a piece of the company or youse'll git fookin NOTHING".
And the UFC was like.. "Okay.... but if we give you that will you fight Khabib Conor?"
-"You'll get fooking nothing, I'll tell ya'ss. YOU'LL GET FOOKING NOTTING".
-"C-Conor. Conor, will you fight Khabib if we give it to you? If we can get you 30mill, WILL YOU FIGHT KHABIB?"
-"YOUSE'LL...-"

and so on..
imo, this is a terrible fight for him. It's not at all like when Floyd was eager as fuck to beat the shit out of him. Or exactly the same perhaps since in both cases Conor was favoring the payday more than the matchup.

Back