Underrated/Overrated Films

NightwingBJJ

R.I.P To The King II Long.Live.GU€RNICA
@Gold
Reaction score
I am pretty sure this isn't a new topic but fuck it.

Everyone has got that buddy, family member or critic that tells you that a movie is fantastic and when you finally see it you are baffled to why they thought it was so good.

Then there are movies people shit on and you are pleasantly surprised on how good it is when you finally get around to watching it.

What are some of the most Underrated/Overrated movies you've seen and state why?

I'll start by saying my overrated are:

v1.bTsxMTE2ODkzOTtqOzE3MDc4OzIwNDg7ODAwOzEyMDA

Bale was fantastic in it but everything else was mediocre and followed the tropes of other sports film.

TheAvengers2012Poster.jpg

Honestly I thought the movie was just boring and overhyped.

Underrated:

Watchmen_film_poster.jpg

One of my all-time favorite movies. It is like none other Superhero films and that's Thanks to Alan Moore for the overall storyline. Snyder also did really well with visual aspects of the film.

220px-Crank_two_ver2.jpg

I think this movie is so over-the-top and absurd that it is hilarious.

Last edited:
Overrated

Die Hard 3 - Simon Gruber? bitch please...
The Hateful Eight - not one likable or interesting character, no stakes for me as a viewer at any point in the film.
Mad Max: Fury Road - it was a good action movie...but best picture nominee?

Underrated

Die Hard 2 - recaptured almost everything good about the first one
Lethal Weapon 2 - ""
Beverly Hills Cop 2 - ""
Last Action Hero - clever and a lot better than it got credit for - everything but the dumb kid was great. Definitely shouldn't have been the movie that ended Arnold's hot streak.

Overrated

Die Hard 3 - Simon Gruber? bitch please...
The Hateful Eight - not one likable or interesting character, no stakes for me as a viewer at any point in the film.
Mad Max: Fury Road - it was a good action movie...but best picture nominee?

Underrated

Die Hard 2 - recaptured almost everything good about the first one
Lethal Weapon 2 - ""
Beverly Hills Cop 2 - ""
Last Action Hero - clever and a lot better than it got credit for - everything but the dumb kid was great. Definitely shouldn't have been the movie that ended Arnold's hot streak.

While I love Fury Road is it possible it was nominated because last year was kind of weak for great movies?

In b4 this thread turns into a discussion about M Night Shammalon movies.

Underrated: Suicide Kings (most people I know have never heard of it. I enjoyed it a lot)

Overrated: Pulp Fiction (worth watching, but not as great as most others seem to think imo)

Underrated: Suicide Kings (most people I know have never heard of it. I enjoyed it a lot)

Overrated: Pulp Fiction (worth watching, but not as great as most others seem to think imo)

Suicide_kings_poster.jpg

I saw it on FX a while back and I thought it was good. The ending needed some work.

A bold statement with Pulp Fiction. Haa

All Star Wars films while being not bad, are way way way overrated. Also Citizen Kane, yeah your sled Rosebud? Mmk wtf ever.

Cant think of any underrated off the top of my head, however the Arnie Conan movies OSTs are GOAT imo.

Over:
District 9. No fun in it.
Gravity--All visuals. Slow
The Dark Knight movies--Good but people act like they were the greatest films ever.

Under:
Minority Report--People don't hate on it, but I feel it belongs in sci fi Hall of Fame.
I,Robot--Loved the feel of it, the plot, the action.

Over:
District 9. No fun in it.
Gravity--All visuals. Slow
The Dark Knight movies--Good but people act like they were the greatest films ever.

Under:
Minority Report--People don't hate on it, but I feel it belongs in sci fi Hall of Fame.
I,Robot--Loved the feel of it, the plot, the action.

I absolutely loved District 9 man.

Gravity, I definitely agree it was all visuals it reminded me of those typical stranded type movie, I guess which it was just set in space.

While I love Fury Road is it possible it was nominated because last year was kind of weak for great movies?

Could be. I still felt that Creed was the better film, in that event.

I absolutely loved District 9 man.

Gravity, I definitely agree it was all visuals it reminded me of those typical stranded type movie, I guess which it was just set in space.

I know people loved District 9, and those movies are usually my thing. This one not so much. Funny thing is that I liked Pandorum which was critically panned.

All Star Wars films while being not bad, are way way way overrated. Also Citizen Kane, yeah your sled Rosebud? Mmk wtf ever.

Cant think of any underrated off the top of my head, however the Arnie Conan movies OSTs are GOAT imo.

Basil Poledouris (Conan soundtrack) was a musical score genius.

The thing with Citizen Kane is that it needs to be viewed in the context of other movies being made at that time. Other than being black and white, it was visually shot like a movie from the 1960s. It was decades ahead of its era.

Seeing it now, it's kind of "whooptee doo" but I don't think any other movie has ever been that far ahead of its time.

Back