Underrated/Overrated Films

I kind of hate the term overrated because it's both a substitute for critical thinking and really more of an insult to the fans of a film than the film itself. Which is to say the blame gets put on those who over rate it instead of simply saying this film is bad. Underrated I just don't really know what it means. I guess it's different from unknown or esoteric? Like a film that got destroyed by critics but is actually good?

Well, anyway, I'll stick to last year cause these kind of questions span so much time and space in my head. So outside of films I had zero chance of liking and predictably hated (Hateful Eight, Room, The Revenant, etc) I guess I would say Inside Out is one I was left perplexed by in regards to its glowing praises.

I do enjoy a great deal of pixar films and as someone whose life basically stops and starts with mental illness I thought I'd fall for it. However, pixar has a tendency to overthink and become a parody of what a pixar film is. Like, the entire conceit of emotions having character and buttons and all that just is so obnoxiously clever.

As for underrated or what have you I'm not sure. Anomalisa probably received its fair share of love but as one of the defining portraits of male narcissism and privilege I think it's important beyond words. To be able to position the cult of self that so many middle aged, upper class white males seem to have as a disorder of sorts helps deconstruct it and thus makes it less scary and much more approachable as an issue that can hopefully be cured with love.

Any movie that starred Brad Pitt is overrated to me,the most overrated actor of all time.

Most dumb comedies (which I love) are underrated:

That's My Boy, Let's Go To Prison, The Brothers Solomon, Joe Dirt (great blonde actress in this one), Clean Slate (1994 - oldie but a goodie starring Dana Carvey) . . . Are five that come to mind. Animal was funny too (really liked the actress in this one too, don't know why we don't see her in movies anymore).

Many horrors are underrated as well:

Darkness (2002) and The Uninvited (2009) are two that come to mind.

More underrated movies:

Surveilance (2008)

Secret Window (2004)

The Next Three Days (2010)

The Ice Harvest (2005)

Overrated:

In Bruges, Trainspotting, Requiem For a Dream, Alien (all), The Boondock Saints

Some movies are just overplayed (Die Hard series, Lethal Weapon series, Predator series, Terminator series etc.).

Not sure if mentioned but Jacob's Ladder starring Tim Robbins is a pretty good mindf**k

I kind of hate the term overrated because it's both a substitute for critical thinking and really more of an insult to the fans of a film than the film itself. Which is to say the blame gets put on those who over rate it instead of simply saying this film is bad. Underrated I just don't really know what it means. I guess it's different from unknown or esoteric? Like a film that got destroyed by critics but is actually good?

Well, anyway, I'll stick to last year cause these kind of questions span so much time and space in my head. So outside of films I had zero chance of liking and predictably hated (Hateful Eight, Room, The Revenant, etc) I guess I would say Inside Out is one I was left perplexed by in regards to its glowing praises.

I do enjoy a great deal of pixar films and as someone whose life basically stops and starts with mental illness I thought I'd fall for it. However, pixar has a tendency to overthink and become a parody of what a pixar film is. Like, the entire conceit of emotions having character and buttons and all that just is so obnoxiously clever.

As for underrated or what have you I'm not sure. Anomalisa probably received its fair share of love but as one of the defining portraits of male narcissism and privilege I think it's important beyond words. To be able to position the cult of self that so many middle aged, upper class white males seem to have as a disorder of sorts helps deconstruct it and thus makes it less scary and much more approachable as an issue that can hopefully be cured with love.

<mma4>

Most dumb comedies (which I love) are underrated:

That's My Boy, Let's Go To Prison, The Brothers Solomon, Joe Dirt (great blonde actress in this one), Clean Slate (1994 - oldie but a goodie starring Dana Carvey) . . . Are five that come to mind. Animal was funny too (really liked the actress in this one too, don't know why we don't see her in movies anymore).

Many horrors are underrated as well:

Darkness (2002) and The Uninvited (2009) are two that come to mind.

More underrated movies:

Surveilance (2008)

Secret Window (2004)

The Next Three Days (2010)

The Ice Harvest (2005)

Overrated:

In Bruges, Trainspotting, Requiem For a Dream, Alien (all), The Boondock Saints

Some movies are just overplayed (Die Hard series, Lethal Weapon series, Predator series, Terminator series etc.).

Can you explain why you didn't like In Bruges?

Can you explain why you didn't like In Bruges?

I only saw it once about 5 years ago (I think) so would need to watch it again to remember why. I think I saw it because of comments in here. I just remember feeling meh about it after I watched it. But I may just watch it again after defending my position lol.

Avatar and Gravity are OVERRATED

I think Shawshank Redemption, Prometheus, Interstellar are a little underrated

Overrated: The Hunger Games (Series)

Gokd premise, but I felt it would have been better, had they have upped the rating, made it less targeted at teeny-boppers, and made it more gritty/gruesome.

I mean, the premise is dark as fuck, but it didn't hit as hard as it could have, with the liberties a 15, even 18-rating would bring.

Underrated: Kevin and Perry Go Large

A cinematic masterpiece, in my humble opinion. A highly-nuanced and thoughtful commentary on the young man's conquest for "doing it", set across the picturesque backdrop of sunny Ibiza.

Well-written, and perfectly acted. The soundtrack is comparable in quality, to Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive, featuring hits, such as "All I Wanna Do, Is Do It".

Highly recommended you check this one out, it's the modern day Citizen Kane.

Interstellar
Most overrated film of the last ten years.
Just absolutely way over the top ratings considering the idiotic story and garbage science.

The most overrated in movie history is Watchmen. @BisexualMMA @Overpressure

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Hard to think of anything

But the movie "Bully" might be underrated the fact that's it based on a real crime might be why it's so fascinating to me.

Overrated:
  1. Crash (it was a poor production, didn't understand why it was so revered).
  2. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (easily the worst Star Wars film created; It was to a large extent a rehash of so much going on in the original movie).

Underrated:
  1. Die Hard II (it gets more hate than it deserves because it lives in the shadow of the original).
  2. The Godfather Part III (it gets more hate than it deserves because it lives in the shadow of the first two).

I am pretty sure this isn't a new topic but fuck it.

Everyone has got that buddy, family member or critic that tells you that a movie is fantastic and when you finally see it you are baffled to why they thought it was so good.

Then there are movies people shit on and you are pleasantly surprised on how good it is when you finally get around to watching it.

What are some of the most Underrated/Overrated movies you've seen and state why?

I'll start by saying my overrated are:

v1.bTsxMTE2ODkzOTtqOzE3MDc4OzIwNDg7ODAwOzEyMDA

Bale was fantastic in it but everything else was mediocre and followed the tropes of other sports film.

TheAvengers2012Poster.jpg

Honestly I thought the movie was just boring and overhyped.

Underrated:

Watchmen_film_poster.jpg

One of my all-time favorite movies. It is like none other Superhero films and that's Thanks to Alan Moore for the overall storyline. Snyder also did really well with visual aspects of the film.

220px-Crank_two_ver2.jpg

I think this movie is so over-the-top and absurd that it is hilarious.
The Assignment (1997) with Donald Sutherland and Ben Kingsley. Definitely one of the most underrated films of recent history. Great plot, ideas and acting, but just... ignored.

Overrated: Saving Private Ryan

This movie has great cinematography but honestly the movie is awful. The story is just so bad it ruins it.

Thin Red Line >>€€

I've probably said this 3 or 4 times on sheepdog but Kiss of the Dragon is extremely underrated to me.

Overrated: Mother (the new one with Jennifer Lawrence)

I can't express the disdain I have for that movie. Anyone who liked it is a bad person and should feel bad.

All Star Wars films while being not bad, are way way way overrated. Also Citizen Kane, yeah your sled Rosebud? Mmk wtf ever.

Cant think of any underrated off the top of my head, however the Arnie Conan movies OSTs are GOAT imo.
Whoa! spoiler alert... Citizen Kane is highly rated for its cinematography if for nothing else...

Overrated: Every Batman movie
Underrated: Every Aronofsky film

Wait 76knockout got banned?!? Wtf why he was a great poster....

Not to mention -how do you even get banned these days? Especially these last couple years?

Unbreakable (2000) was under rated as fuck, it seems to be getting some posthumous recognition recently though.

Avatar (2009) was extremely over rated. I feel like that is probably low hanging fruit at this point though.
Inception (2010) Didn't do anything for me, the premise was trying to be clever without actually being clever and none of the performances were particularly note worthy. Marion Cotillard is just straight up bad at her job.

Back