Unique closed eyes reflex drill

Ramil Kamilov

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
The point here is to create neurological connections with punching right as you feel something, it’s a stepping stone and once you open your eyes you become twice as fast. The reason for answering with the same side is as the guy is extended you hit him before his arm comes back to guard, this also works for replying with a same side punch of a guy kicks you. It has to be done FAST.

I created this drill but I’m sure stuff like this is around if you search for it

Interesting drill.

I played with this and it was good. Definitely feel like it engrains the reaction in your reflexes better with the eyes closed. Will repeat it

I like that idea of striking back with the side you get hit. Thats a great point.

The boxing trainer at a MMA gym I used to work, had a drill that's very much alike.
It was for in-fighting, the two guys head to head, so you don't see much of the openings. One was throwing hooks to the body, the other had to respond to the same side with a hook to the head immediately, without the need to look.
But he had to stop that drill cause the bozos over there were not capable to drill it fast but light....

Last edited:
I like that idea of striking back with the side you get hit. Thats a great point.

Another good thing about countering with the side that got hit is, if you intentionally (or otherwise) delay the counter just a fraction, and the guy is throwing a combination, you'll catch him coming into the shot.

Shakes them up something fierce.
Worse if his defence isn't on point.

That’s how we drill except we don’t close our eyes. we either answer with a 3-2-3, or a 2-3-2

Back