United Nations official visiting Alabama to investigate 'great poverty and inequality'

KILL KILL

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Alabama is poor as fuck. How poor? So poor, the UN approved the visit of one of their officials to investigate the growing inequality.

A United Nations official arrives in Alabama this week to investigate poverty, inequality and "barriers to political participation" in the state.

Philip Alston, UN Special Rapporteur on extreme poverty and human rights, will visit Alabama on Thursday and Friday as part of a 15-day tour of the U.S. that also includes stops in California, West Virginia, Puerto Rico, Atlanta and Washington, D.C.

"Some might ask why a UN Special Rapporteur on extreme poverty and human rights would visit a country as rich as the United States. But despite great wealth in the US, there also exists great poverty and inequality," Alston said in a statement.

Alston will spend Thursday in Lowndes County, where he will be looking at issues like health care, access to clean and safe drinking water, and sanitation.

The Guardian reported in September on a study exposing the fact that a small number of people have tested positive for hookworm - a parasitic disease found in impoverished areas around the world - in Lowndes County.

During his Alabama visit, he will also look at voting rights, political participation and "government efforts to eradicate poverty in the country, and how they relate to US obligations under international human rights law."

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/12/united_nations_official_visiti.html#incart_river_home

I'm from the northeast, but have lived in the south for several years. I've had the privilege to travel to many states in this great country, but can honestly say, Alabama and Mississippi contained the fattest, poorest, least educated I've encountered. Anecdotally, I know a 40 something year old man in Mississippi that can't even read, and none of the people around that area find that odd.

I found this article on Reddit. One of the posters linked to an NPR interview about a county in Alabama where 25% of the residents are on disability. They receive these benefits, not because they can't work, but because they're so economically fucked, that it's easier to go on disability, and doctors go along with it.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/490/trends-with-benefits

This kind of blows my mind that we live in the wealthiest country in the world, and there are areas where they're better off on disability than actually in the workforce. How do we fix this type of thing?

How do we fix it? Alabama and Mississippi need complete educational system overhauls and they need actual economic opportunities for their residents. They have shit tier schools and few jobs with any upward mobility. This runs across the state, all counties, all demographics.

During his Alabama visit, he will also look at voting rights, political participation and "government efforts to eradicate poverty in the country, and how they relate to US obligations under international human rights law."

so the objective is to understand the politics not a human rights violation

bureaucrat alert.

You don't -- you reduce their federal aid, and force the state to pick up the slack. If the Gumps can't figure how to prosper from intrastate initiatives, you let them die off -- they are a red state, treat them how they wanted to be treated.

You don't -- you reduce their federal aid, and force the state to pick up the slack. If the Gumps can't figure how to prosper from intrastate initiatives, you let them die off -- they are a red state, treat them how they wanted to be treated.
Agreed!

How do we fix it? Alabama and Mississippi need complete educational system overhauls and they need actual economic opportunities for their residents. They have shit tier schools and few jobs with any upward mobility. This runs across the state, all counties, all demographics.
none of that bullshit matters if the people who live there DONT WANT IT. Alabamans and Mississippians dont WANT good schools. if it aint Jeezus, it aint shit is the mindset of like 99% of the people there. Without a people willing to invest in sound education, there will NEVER be a good job source. without jobs, the state has no need for infrastructure rebuilding, and without decent infrastructure, no business in its right mind would relocate there. Its a cycle of dumbfuckery that is perpetuated by a populace that EMBRACES being backwards fucktards. Was stationed in Mississipi AND Georgia and both those states are garbage.

none of that bullshit matters if the people who live there DONT WANT IT. Alabamans and Mississippians dont WANT good schools. if it aint Jeezus, it aint shit is the mindset of like 99% of the people there. Without a people willing to invest in sound education, there will NEVER be a good job source. without jobs, the state has no need for infrastructure rebuilding, and without decent infrastructure, no business in its right mind would relocate there. Its a cycle of dumbfuckery that is perpetuated by a populace that EMBRACES being backwards fucktards. Was stationed in Mississipi AND Georgia and both those states are garbage.
Parachute in more crystal meth and oxys, then build a wall around it. While you are at it close down all the waffle shops there so they will die of boredom. Problem will solve itself. I couldnt believe that Alabama was part of the US due to the "ignarent" people I met there. They even had toll booths installed to get to the Alabama Shore, lol. They dont want them to see how beautiful nature can be, it would make them more depressed.

What is really crazy about the NPR interview is that, although 25% of the people in that county receive disability, the people are very much opposed to handouts. WUT?

This has to be a joke! Ive been told numerous times on this forum US is the greatest country in the world! There was another poster yesterday that told me that Germany isnt even as rich as Alabama so I refuse to believe this! It must be the libruhl media making up fake news!!

Some people focus on maintaining clean businesses and work more than others. I havent been to alabama, however. There isn't always someone ELSE to blame for a problem.

What is really crazy about the NPR interview is that, although 25% of the people in that county receive disability, the people are very much opposed to handouts. WUT?
They would love to work but the Chinese and Mexicans took all the jobs and I'm sure the Blacks are also at fault here somehow

This thread is proof that liberals don't care about the poor they just hate the rich

Realistically it's probably just an unemployment or underemployment issue, just lol @ the UN trying to get involved in American poverty. Alabama has a low cost of living, as long as you're not trying to support a family, you can probably live pretty good in Alabama if you're working a full 40 hours or more regardless of wage.

Dumb state with dumb people, of course they're going to be poor, this isn't a human rights issue. It's hard to fix dumb.

Alabama is poor as fuck. How poor? So poor, the UN approved the visit of one of their officials to investigate the growing inequality.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/12/united_nations_official_visiti.html#incart_river_home

I'm from the northeast, but have lived in the south for several years. I've had the privilege to travel to many states in this great country, but can honestly say, Alabama and Mississippi contained the fattest, poorest, least educated I've encountered. Anecdotally, I know a 40 something year old man in Mississippi that can't even read, and none of the people around that area find that odd.

I found this article on Reddit. One of the posters linked to an NPR interview about a county in Alabama where 25% of the residents are on disability. They receive these benefits, not because they can't work, but because they're so economically fucked, that it's easier to go on disability, and doctors go along with it.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/490/trends-with-benefits

This kind of blows my mind that we live in the wealthiest country in the world, and there are areas where they're better off on disability than actually in the workforce. How do we fix this type of thing?
giphy.gif

Just look at the comments in here. Lot of people celebrating a red state has bad poverty

People are laughing at the hypocrisy of such a red state being so worthless outside of college football lol.

I think the right thing to do here is cut off federal funding and let them pull themselves up by the bootstraps.

Back