United Nations official visiting Alabama to investigate 'great poverty and inequality'

When Michigan introduced widespread charter school legislation, they dropped from the middle of the pack to the 40's in state rankings for reading and math.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/education

I'm not familiar with his Michigan implanted charters but there are plenty of success stories. MA and NO have Charters and They are the top 2 state's in terms of education.

I don't think Charters should replace the entire public education system but they can be used as a tool (especially in inner cities) to target certain demographics.

I totally get what you're saying, and agree to an extent, but not ALL of these kids are failures because of a lack of motivation. Additionally, there are probably lots of kids that are unmotivated because of a lack of opportunity, sufficient teaching etc. To blame poor results on the kids seems like kind of a cop out to me, honestly. A lot of successful people I know can point to someone in their youth that inspired them, whether it be a teacher or a sports coach, or whomever. A lack of funding does not attract those people.

Good post.

Yeah it is a total cope out to say that resources wont impact education. There are cases where loads of cash had no impact and cases where it did.

You need resources and you need to deploy them well to improve education.

But a system that bases education primarily on local property taxes only strengthens the power of the ghetto. Its laughable to point at some ghetto area schools that all of sudden got a boat load of cash and still failed as some sort of counter to that point.

I totally get what you're saying, and agree to an extent, but not ALL of these kids are failures because of a lack of motivation. Additionally, there are probably lots of kids that are unmotivated because of a lack of opportunity, sufficient teaching etc. To blame poor results on the kids seems like kind of a cop out to me, honestly. A lot of successful people I know can point to someone in their youth that inspired them, whether it be a teacher or a sports coach, or whomever. A lack of funding does not attract those people.
It always cracks me up when wealthy GOP types talk about how you can’t fix schools with funding— which is only partially true: You can’t fix schools with JUST funding, but you can sure as hell wreck a school by cutting it— then they promptly send their kids to the best schools that money can buy...

Just remember the motto: “The rich can do more with more, the poor can do more with less.”

Back