United States withdraws from UN Human Rights Council

it was a joke of a council to begin with; basically a big circle jerk with nothing being accomplished

Americans I urge you to wake up and realize what has happens to your country - it has been completely taken over by groups whom do not care about the people or sovereign world governments. It’s time to actually demand change

sounds a lot like mein kampf

Any council that the house of Saud is part of is not a council you should be a part of.

Yes, the UN has never done anything positive in the world, ever.

xdQPwzp.jpg

With your great vision, do you see more value in all countries exiting it?

1. Spare me the patronizing tone please.
2. I don't care what countries exit or remain in it. I simply see little value in it. If I were citizen of a small, relatively unimportant or weak state, I would want to be part of it because it gives a voice. But for the US or China or other great nations, they will be heard regardless of whether it is in that forum or elsewhere.
3. During the Cold War, I think the UN served a valuable diplomatic purpose. But now it is moribund and utterly corrupt.

1. Spare me the patronizing tone please.
2. I don't care what countries exit or remain in it. I simply see little value in it. If I were citizen of a small, relatively unimportant or weak state, I would want to be part of it because it gives a voice. But for the US or China or other great nations, they will be heard regardless of whether it is in that forum or elsewhere.
3. During the Cold War, I think the UN served a valuable diplomatic purpose. But now it is moribund and utterly corrupt.

1. No.

2. It may be more responsibility than value to the more powerful Nations, but that's what being a leader is. Leading people towards cooperation instead of isolation

3. Once again, flawed diplomacy is better than the absence of it.

3. Once again, flawed diplomacy is better than the absence of it.

Not always, especially not when enables corruption. Also, leaving the UN does not mean there will be no diplomacy.

Wants to show optics of support for Israel.

Leaves a council called Human rights.

Not always, especially not when enables corruption. Also, leaving the UN does not mean there will be no diplomacy.
So since you are so against corruption or the enabling of it, I assume you are not happy with several members of Trump's cabinet?

So since you are so against corruption or the enabling of it, I assume you are not happy with several members of Trump's cabinet?
Lol, what a weird derailment. Yes, there are several issues I have both with members of Trump's administration and with Trump himself. Irrelevant.

There was a time when the UN served an invaluable purpose in averting open war between the First and Second worlds. Now it mainly exists to criticize Israel. In 2017 21 UN resolutions singled out Israel, compared to six or seven for the rest of the world. No country is above criticism, but a global organization is not needed to do that.

I am open to the argument that it is better than nothing, which is at least in part what @spin_ is arguing. Personally, I think it distorts global diplomacy, and more importantly, I think there is little value for the US.

Of course its not an absolute. Stating the tediously obvious and pretending it's a counter point is why you're going to continue to be patronized.

Same with the second part. Yes, it doesn't drop to zero diplomacy without a formal organization. That counters absolutely nothing.

Make a point, or seek attention elsewhere.

Back