Unknown (2011)

G

Guestx

I took a break from my tour of Liam Neeson's action films for a few days but tonight I got back at it. Our feature this evening was Unknown.

I thought this was a pretty solid mystery thriller. I knew almost nothing about the film going into it--I had only read the premise on IMDB--so I didn't really know what to expect. But it turned out to have a pretty intriguing concept with above-average execution.

Here's the premise BTW, for anyone who isn't familiar with it:

A man awakens from a coma, only to discover that someone has taken on his identity and that no one, (not even his wife), believes him. With the help of a young woman, he sets out to prove who he is.

Unlike most of the other films on the list, this one relies more on suspense than it does on action. Liam does kick some ass but it's definitely not wall-to-wall action like some of his other films are.

Neeson turns in a reliably good performance and I was very pleasantly surprised to see Diane Kruger in here. I'll tell you something, that bitch has GOT IT. Every time I see her in something I find her captivating. She possesses both talent and beauty.

All in all, I'd give this one a solid 7. Nothing more or less than that. I enjoyed it overall but wasn't riveted to the edge of my seat.

Who else has seen this film and has some thoughts on it?

Here's our running tally so far:

Pass

Non-Stop
Run All Night
Taken
Unknown

Fail

The Commuter
Taken 2

Haven't rewatched Unknown since I first saw it in 2011, when I first discovered my love of Liam Neeson, so I can't get too specific. But from what I remember I was fairly disappointed by it and found it to be fairly forgettable, no pun intended lol.

That said, based on my old imdb account, I gave it a 5/10 so it was probably the case that I was binge-watching everything I could find with Liam Neeson in it, and Unknown just struck me as painfully average compared other film's of his that I really liked.

For another Neeson flick that isn't your standard action fare while still having some of those elements, I cannot recommend A Walk Among The Tombstones enough. Very dark, noir-ish and beyond underrated in my book.

I had been looking for movies to watch, and came across the trailer to this. Was kind of iffy to watch it, but will give it a go today and reply back on it.

I liked it enough...he really holds the screen and makes up for plot issues. This guy has had some staying power, he was in Krull for God’s sakes!

I was living in Berlin when I went and saw the movie. I had no idea it was set in that city. I recognized the city in the opening in credits. Thought that was cool.

Movie was alright.

For another Neeson flick that isn't your standard action fare while still having some of those elements, I cannot recommend A Walk Among The Tombstones enough. Very dark, noir-ish and beyond underrated in my book.

This is one of the last two on my list. Need to see it and Taken 3 to wrap this project up.

A Walk Among the Tombstones seems to be pretty polarizing. I've heard everything from "It's great!" to "It sucks!" But I should find out for myself pretty soon.

I had been looking for movies to watch, and came across the trailer to this. Was kind of iffy to watch it, but will give it a go today and reply back on it.

I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts.

I was living in Berlin when I went and saw the movie. I had no idea it was set in that city. I recognized the city in the opening in credits. Thought that was cool.

Movie was alright.

Similar story here.

I was on vacation in Berlin a few months before I saw the movie.

The setting was cool, the movie was just meh.

I liked it enough...he really holds the screen and makes up for plot issues. This guy has had some staying power, he was in Krull for God’s sakes!

The Bounty is an equally old movie he was in that was actually a good film.

It's decent 1980s fantasy fun. I don't think that category produced many films that stand the test of time.

I haven't seen it in a while but I remember enjoying it the last time I watched it. I definitely think that it is one of the better fantasy films and it has a feel and style that is different from a lot of the other stuff. The scene with the giant spider still creeps me out when I think about it.

I haven't seen it in a while but I remember enjoying it the last time I watched it. I definitely think that it is one of the better fantasy films and it has a feel and style that is different from a lot of the other stuff. The scene with the giant spider still creeps me out when I think about it.

It is one of the better films of its type and period, but that's kind of an indictment of its competition.

It's decent 1980s fantasy fun. I don't think that category produced many films that stand the test of time.
The effects back then were lacking, but these were the movies I loved. Clash of The Titans, The Forbidden Zone, Time Bandits, these deserve their own thread!

Back