Unleashing The Beast Within

I press twice a week and bench twice a week. I also do overhead work on Saturdays (axle jerk or log push press) but it's not following any planned progression. I do not jerk frequently. When I set those jerk PRs a few weeks back, I did that on whim since the benches were all taken.

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with having three overhead sessions following the Cratos program, but I can't really comment on that since I haven't run it that way. However, if I were to train overhead 3x a week with some sort of planned progression, I'd probably do a 2-day with the strict press, and a third day following a separate progression with the push press or jerk.

Thanks again, man. I've been avoiding the push press because it tended to aggravate my knee cartilage, I'm not sure if I want to add that just yet. I'll probably try to do the program with 3 sessions per week and see where that gets me.

I run in the numbers, if I use 72.5 (my current best single) as my max the numbers are ridiculously easy. Even if I use 75, they look very very easy. 77.5 (+5 kg) it is! :)

Having a look at the program with the actual numbers I'll be using, I can see how it may benefit me.

Sweet new log, feel your pain on the bench.. I'm just scared of it now.

Good luck miaou, you're already a beast on the squat despite all the injuries.

Thanks, man. I'm no longer ashamed for my lower-body strength. My upper-body... that's a different story.

My plan for the bench is simply to start gradually pushing the weights, with my primary goal being working up to doing as heavy work as possible without risking aggravating the shoulders.

Nice new log! I emailed you your old log earlier this afternoon, hopefully you get it this time. Third times a charm!

^ just checked my inbox and it's there.

Thanks, man. I appreciate it.

Congratulations, Miaou. Your consistency of application and ability to overcome so many setbacks has been quite remarkable.

I also appreciate that, as you have had every injury known to man, have studied in detail how to treat it, and then have been through the process multiple times, you are able to advise the rest of us when we are in the same situation :icon_chee

Awesome & Inspiring!

Great to see the new log in full effect! Looking forward to watching you continue to kill it.

Congratulations, Miaou. Your consistency of application and ability to overcome so many setbacks has been quite remarkable.

I also appreciate that, as you have had every injury known to man, have studied in detail how to treat it, and then have been through the process multiple times, you are able to advise the rest of us when we are in the same situation :icon_chee

Thanks for the good words, Jaunty!

Awesome & Inspiring!

Great to see the new log in full effect! Looking forward to watching you continue to kill it.

Thanks, calvus. Killing it is my main goal. :D

Power Snatches
50 x 3 x 4

SOHP (all reps paused)
55 x 4 x 4

Paused Bench w/ miniband
60/70/70 x 5

Face Pulls
70/75/75 x 10

Took two days off. Slept well. Still feel worn down/tired. Have a huge amount of work to do for school. Will try to ease back into things, regardless.

BW this morning = 92.2 kg.

[...]
Power snatch form was sloppy. SOHP was ok, but a bit heavier than I would expect. The exercises after SOHP were superset with one another to save time.

I've been feeling pretty tired/battered the last 3-4 days. I'm actually considering taking a couple of days completely off.

I know that feel, bro. When I started the Cartos program, I too used a higher max than my actual because the numbers looked so low. The first wave was tough because I wasn't used to the volume. However, it's been smooth sailing since.

I've probably told you a few times how your log/training has been inspiring and helpful so I'll skip it. Glad to see you turn over a new page in your journey to awesomeness. And great log title.

I know that feel, bro. When I started the Cartos program, I too used a higher max than my actual because the numbers looked so low. The first wave was tough because I wasn't used to the volume. However, it's been smooth sailing since.

Thanks for the support/advice. I intend to run this for two full cycles (which, with 3 days per week, should take me around 6 weeks) before I make any conclusions.

I've probably told you a few times how your log/training has been inspiring and helpful so I'll skip it. Glad to see you turn over a new page in your journey to awesomeness. And great log title.

Thanks a lot, bro.

Being smart and handsome comes with its share of burdens.

That it does. :icon_chee

Throws Class
~ 10 discus throws. Was happy with them today; probably the best they've felt. The last phase is not good, but overall not too bad.
~ 20-25 javelin throws (from the last 3 steps).

...at the S&C place:

Box Jumps (from a seated position)
BW x 3 x 3

Power Cleans
80 x 3 x 3

Squats (low-bar)
135/150 x 1
120 x 5 x 3

Good Mornings
80 x 10 x 3

...at the commercial gym:

Seated Single-leg Leg Curls
27.5/30/30 x 15

Standing Single-leg Calf Raises
BW x 15 x 3

Ab-wheel Rollouts
22.5 x 20
32.5 x 10
42.5 x 8 + 20 x 10

BB Shrugs
140 x 12/12/10

Running on 4.5 hours sleep. Easing into lower-body work. Bar felt heavy, form felt ok~ish, reps felt slow. Have some work ahead of me.

Last edited:
damn Heavy rollouts man!
4.5 h of sleep?

tumblr_ll023c55K11qbc90d.gif

Party boy joke:icon_idea

^ lulz

Thanks, man. Will see if I can get to 50 kg for 5 legit reps by the end of the year.

Power Snatches
50 x 2 x 5

SOHP (paused)
62.5 x 2 x 7

Chin-ups
BW x 10 x 4

DB Lateral Raises
5/7.5/10/10 x 10

+ a couple of 10m sprints

I decided to try doing lighter power clean/snatch sets but get more total reps in, in hopes it will help with technique improvements.

SOHP was fine. Speed slowed down in the last 1-2 sets.

Didn't have time to get any more work in, but I think this will do.

Always happy I can do upper-body work with no pain.

I didn't notice this new log until now. I will, of course, be keeping a close eye on it, and the ab rollouts. Here's to pressing 100kg in the future.

I didn't notice this new log until now. I will, of course, be keeping a close eye on it, and the ab rollouts. Here's to pressing 100kg in the future.

Thanks, bro.

I saw you did 45x5 the other day. At this point, 50x5 is pretty much up for grabs.

We're doing this with a video submission, right? What will the rules be to judge if a rep is to full ROM?

I know you worked really hard to get well so it's always good to hear this.

Thanks, man! I still don't take it for granted. Midway through today's pressing I spontaneously thought "man, my shoulders feel fine, this is so fking great!". :)

Didn't realize you were throwing! Awesome :)

I used to love throwing discus. Shotput has more carryover to Scottish Highland Games for me though. Are you throwing shot too? Or just discus & javelin?

I hear he's tossin' salad.

Everything's looking good, man. Race to 100 kg SOHP ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back