Unleashing The Beast Within

Haven't you heard the raw dawgs say that box squats don't help raw lifters? You're wasting your time.

Did those the way I've seen you recommend them. With a small rocking back and forth and slight relaxation followed by fast generation of tension. Or at least that's what I try to do :)

Out of curiosity, would you recommend I use bands for those or not yet? When doing them without bands I stop accelerating around 2/3 of the way up (because I don't want my ACLs to do the breaking). Btw, I'm a very slow lifter (as witnessed by my slow grinds and by the fact that I'm better at repping than at max singles).

Last edited:
^ did those the way I've seen you recommend them. With a small rocking back and forth and slight relaxation followed by fast generation of tension. Or at least that's what I try to do :)

Out of curiosity, would you recommend I use bands for those or not yet? When doing them without bands I stop accelerating a bit past halfway up (because I don't want my ACLs to do the breaking). Btw, I'm a very slow lifter (as witnessed by my slow grinds and by the fact that I'm better at repping than at max singles).

Fuck that repping bullshit. God damn, I hate reps

Just wanted to say I strongly hate reps.

Checking in: holy shit you have a new log!!

Will be catching up over the next few days with everything in here.

Jaunty should check this, I think this could win you that jauntypoint

That's a great... uhm... "progress pic".

*Right click... save as... pictures\fap material... okay*

Keosawa said:
Absolutely use bands. You're an experienced enough lifter for them, and as you said, you're "slowing yourself up" towards the top. You know the bands will give you something to accelerate into.

The bar weight and the tension doesn't have to be great to start. I would just try to find a combination that levels out both your rate of speed and enables you to produce force even at the top. My theory has always been that effective speed work will produce essentially a straight line on the concentric of one's strength curve: ideally, there's no acceleration, only constant speed with maximal force production. In other words, I try to find combinations that make my sticking point "invisible." I think a lot of good DE lifters do the same without ever realizing it.

Thanks for the reply, man.

Fuck that repping bullshit. God damn, I hate reps

Just wanted to say I strongly hate reps.

Not sure why, but for some reason I get the feeling that you hate reps. I just can't put my finger on it.

Checking in: holy shit you have a new log!!

Will be catching up over the next few days with everything in here.

Cool, man. You're always welcome here.

That's a great... uhm... "progress pic".

*Right click... save as... pictures\fap material... okay*

Thanks! Happy to help!

Praise from the acknowledge king of S&C log noodz! High praise indeed.

Not saying such high praise should be taken into consideration by the JP committee... but it should be taken into consideration by the JP committee.

Kick Boxing
warmup + some shadowfighting + a few kicks on the bag + some stretching
~30 mins

Power Snatches
50/55/55/50/50 x 2

SOHP (all reps paused)
50 x 7 x 4

Face Pulls
80 x 10 x 3
70 x 12

Felt sluggish and tired. Since the December 1st gym meet I've had too many such days and too few days where I've actually felt alert and activated for it to be a coincidence. I think I'm at a point where my recovery simply can't keep up with my activity (not sleeping enough lately probably doesn't help in this department). I'll make some training volume/frequency adjustments and see if I can work my way out of this hole.

BW this morning = 93.5 kg.

Holy Shit Miaou!
I just saw you are doing throws class! Nice. I am going to be starting discus training very soon. My brother is a track coach and he's brining me a discus to start training this week...

I will defo be dropping in to see how things are going!

Anyway, love the box squats!

^ discus is uber-awesome. Considering purchasing one so I can throw every now and then after the semester is over. Good luck with it, man.

Power Cleans
70/80/90/80 x 2

Squats (low-bar)
20 x 10
60 x 5
90 x 3
110 x 2
130/150/170 x 1
145 x 5 x 3

Good Mornings
90/100/100 x 10

Seated Single-leg Leg Curls
30 x 15 x 3

Standing Single-leg Calf Raises
BW x 15+20 x 3

...later that day, at the S&C place:

Ab-wheel Rollouts
BW+20/25/25 x 20

BB Shrugs
120/140/140 x 10 (DOH grip)
160 x 10 x 2 (w/ straps)

Power cleans were not great but not entirely horrible, either.

In the squats, 170 felt strong although a bit slow and form was decent but not perfect. Speed on the first two 145x5 sets was not bad, last rep of the 3rd set was a semi-grind, which was unexpected and I attribute it to loss of focus and/or taking it a bit for granted after how the first two sets felt.

Yesterday morning at the throws class I felt terrible. Tried to do 6-7 shot put attempts with the spin style before realizing it wasn't going to happen; all of the attempts were horrible, my balance was entirely off and I couldn't even place my feet in the correct positions. Had slept a little over 3 hours the previous night. Yesterday I slept a good 8 hours. Felt ok today. Taking days off more often and getting better sleep is obviously what I need right now. Thankfully, winter holidays are coming and I'll be able to catch up on ongoing my sleep deficit.

BW this morning = 93.6 kg.

Creative Movement Class
Not really a class today; played a bunch of stuff (including building human pyramids).
Stayed for another 30 mins after class and did a bunch of simple gymnastics stuff.

Swimming
1200 m LISSS
20-25 mins of swimming-pool leg curls

My cardio capacity has gone down the drain, which is to be expected after so many months of focusing exclusively on strength. Patellar tracking during the leg curls was very good.

^ discus is uber-awesome. Considering purchasing one so I can throw every now and then after the semester is over. Good luck with it, man.

Can't wait!

Any reason why you're doing it? Aspirations?

^ You mean "competitive aspirations"?

Lulz, no! Way too fucking old for that.

My thought process is basically this: I like throwing the discus, so why not get one to throw some more?

Dynamic Warmup
including a few 5-10 m sprints

Seated Box Jumps (37" box)
BW x 3 x 3

Power Snatches
50/55 x 2
60 x 2/F+2/2

DE Box Squats (13" box, w/ supermini bands)
60 x 3 x 5

SOHP (all reps paused)
55 x 4 x 5

Chin-ups
BW x 11/10/11/11

Lateral DB Raises
10 x 12 x 3

Incline DB Flies
12.5 x 12 x 3

The second power snatch rep at 55 kg felt phenomenal and came up with virtually no effort. The rest were so-so. The rep I missed at 60 kg was a matter of form breakdown (bar coming too far forward). There is no doubt I have a lot of room for improvement in terms both of form and explosiveness.

The resistance for box squats was ok (I am THAT fucking slow).

SOHP speed was decent.

Left shoulder very slightly aggravated but it shouldn't be a problem. I assume it is from yesterday's swimming, which is a bit surprising. On the bright side, left elbow, which has been giving me a bit of pain during extension lately (hurt it doing triceps pushdowns, of all things), feels a bit better.

All in all, an "ok" day.

BW this morning = 93.3 kg.

Last edited:
i keep forgetting this is your log. I apologize for my lack of trashtalk, sir.

Power Cleans
90 x 2 x 3

Squats (low-bar)
145/160/175 x 1
160 x 2

Got myself a lower-back injury today. Was planning to do triples with 160, focusing on getting some decent speed going. Lost the arch midway up on the second rep, got some sharp pain on the L5-S1 area. This is the first time I ever hurt my back with anything strength-training-related, I attribute it to not focusing enough on core stabilization while focusing on applying force fast with the legs. Certain movements hurt but right now it doesn't feel that bad (BW squats don't hurt and I intend to do a bunch of them tonight and tomorrow); I expect I will be squatting again in a few days. I'll be there tomorrow for my upper body day.

Power cleans were sloppy (some reps were better than others) but the strength is there. 175 was slow; form was good but not perfect. All in all, I think focusing on applying force faster has resulted in some form sloppiness and that's something I'll obviously need to address.

BW this morning = 93.3 kg.

Last edited:
Sucks to get injured. Hoping that its nothing serious and you can get back to training quick!

Im glad I dont have your previous injuries, often times my form is not exactly what you would consider good.

Feel better soon. Don't let this become Reconstructing The Beast Within.

Come to think of it, Constructing the Beast Within would have been a fun play on your previous log title.

Back