Unpopular metal music opinions

<{clintugh}>

How can anyone not like songs like Run To The Hills?

Seriously.

I have heard that song a number of times (and many others of theirs) and I just cannot like them. To me they are like a parody of a metal band. Dude's vocals are so over the top.

not unpopular, just wrong. ;)

it could be that there is some great new metal music that i'm not aware of. i just haven't heard anything in the past, say at least decade in metal, that gets me excited. i'd love to be wrong though lol

Never cared much for Pantera. I don't dislike them, they just never did anything for me.

I have heard that song a number of times (and many others of theirs) and I just cannot like them. To me they are like a parody of a metal band. Dude's vocals are so over the top.

Outrageous!

Nah, I get it. I feel similarly about a bunch of 80’s metal. But for some reason I've always loved Iron Maiden.

Iron Maiden are a glorified rock band.

Metallica is overrated.
Cliff was a fine bass player but I've listened intently and he was no Jaco. He wasn't a David Ellefson, even.

Kirk is a middling lead player. I personally have known better guitarists.

Goes to show songwriting > technical musicianship.

Deathcore and Metalcore are a couple of the best heavy metal genres. Core bands make Old school traditional metalhead's blood boil. I'm 37 years old, a musician, and love a lot of the old school shit too but a lot of those core bands rip.

Deathcore and Metalcore are the best heavy metal genres. Core bands make Old school traditional metalhead's blood boil. I'm 37 years old, a musician, and love a lot of the old school shit too but a lot of those core bands rip.
I'm of the Megadeth variety. Speed metal. Contrasting solo styles : brute force /melodic fretboard gymnastics. Four or five distinct parts per song, with middle eight segments, and energetic chording.

Both over all.
I've heard technically brilliant playing without heart and playing that could have worked but it was too sloppy and unlearned.
100%.

Limited players who can write are boring but in a different way than technical players who can't write.

The only thing is, atleast a writer can get a player to play for them.

That's basically what Megadeth do, Dave can't play very good leads, but he gets some of the best lead players alive to solo and do leads for him. Works well.

Goes to show songwriting > technical musicianship.
Theyre both important.

If you have ideas in your head but no skill to showcase them, then they remain stuck in your head, with no one to hear but yourself.

I'm of the Megadeth variety. Speed metal. Contrasting solo styles : brute force /melodic fretboard gymnastics. Four or five distinct parts per song, with middle eight segments, and energetic chording.

Megadeath rules and will always be in my library, but I when I think of metal I think of something a bit heavier like Pantera or Lamb of God.

Both over all.
I've heard technically brilliant playing without heart and playing that could have worked but it was too sloppy and unlearned.

Yngwie Johan Malmsteen comes to mind. Great musician, average song writer.

Theyre both important.

If you have ideas in your head but no skill to showcase them, then they remain stuck in your head, with no one to hear but yourself.

Obviously.....great songwriting/average playing trumps average songwriting/great playing, though.

Obviously.....great songwriting/average playing trumps average songwriting/great playing, though.
100% agree with you there.

The best thing to do in that situation is have a great player play the music that a great composer writes.

Thats what Megadeth does. Dave writes the music, Poland, Friedman, Broderick, Louriro(sp) plays it.

The ultimate thing though is a great composer that's also a great player, even a multiinstrumentalist.

Those are the real gems in the world of music.

Yngwie Johan Malmsteen comes to mind. Great musician, average song writer.
I only listen to his instrumentals with one exception : Now Your Ships Are Burned.
It's pure cheese lyrically but I find that one song acceptable for some reason and Soto does sing the shit out of it.

100%.

Limited players who can write are boring but in a different way than technical players who can't write.

The only thing is, atleast a writer can get a player to play for them.

That's basically what Megadeth do, Dave can't play very good leads, but he gets some of the best lead players alive to solo and do leads for him. Works well.
*embarrassed*
My leads are pretty Dave-like, there's a reason he's my av. :(
But one strength of my playing is that it's all from the heart, I try not to use go-to riffs, scales, or blues.

Fuck, the blues can fit into so many styles, even fast metal... but as a guitarist, I find it so boring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back