Unshakable feeling this world is imaginary

People with jobs leaving just when the discussion is getting good. :)

@M3t4tr0n hey man if your name is green does that mean your a mod?
The mods are in blue. The green means I am part of plat nation and I get to avoid advertisements while surfing here. I also get to go into the secret plats only forum where we have orgies and smoke doobers.

It's awesome how the study of signs gets co-opted by certain disciplines more than others too

I never would have expected semiotics would be most massive in zoology antropology or musicology

ferdinand_de_saussure.jpg

Also mustaches
Can't go wrong with mustaches!

jesus_wig_beard_human_hair_mustache__78225.1404886876.500.750.gif

I dont understand this concept. Do you mean that if I am holding a hammer it isn't really what I think it is? or do you mean it in a more radical sense as in I and hammer are not really there?

Everything you experience about that hammer is created in your mind.

Any guesses as to what that true nature of existence might be? Serious question.

We look for the cold answer. My guesses are tinged with warm romantic bias. Undoubtedly, near and far, we know little of consciousness and where it may form.

But the hammer IS there? If that is what you mean then I think I understand what you are saying.

Is anything there without perception of it? The passage of time is a perception phenomenon. Does the hammer have an appearance with nothing there to sense light bouncing off it? Tree falling in woods etc...

Is anything there without perception of it? The passage of time is a perception phenomenon. Does the hammer have an appearance with nothing there to sense light bouncing off it? Tree falling in woods etc...

I would have to say yes to that personally.

In thought, we are limited by meager planet brains. But we are infatuated with improvement and renaissance. And thus, fumble forward, flooding our ubiquitous networks with contemporary knowledge. It is only a matter of time before our true nature of existence is undeniably understood.
A short matter of time? Like maybe a couple super computers away?

Well the handle definitely isn't black.. Because that's just how our eyes perceive it.

Sure but we machined it as a tool to manipulate other objects that help us to live and thrive effectively in our environment. If nothing was anything at all like what we think is is we would all be dead.

Why would the programmers write simulations for Justin Bieber or someone as evil as Yoko Ono, or Hillary Clinton? The whole "Matrix" idea is flawed and kind of dumb, imo.

"Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world where none suffered, where everyone would be happy? It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed that we lacked the programming language to describe your "perfect world". But I believe that, as a species human beings define their reality through misery and suffering. So the perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from."

I can't shake the feeling that we live in a simulated reality. I don't think anything around us is real.

I don't think this in a mentally ill way, like in a disassociated way. I think about it in a mathematically proven way.

Like we will make simulations, and those simulations will have simulations in them. They will branch out like a binomial tree. So, the odds of this not being a simulation are 1/n where n is a limit approaching infinity. That's 0%. Of course, n would actually just be a really, really large number. The limit is just an approximation but the point still stands.

I just can't get that fact out my head. I don't know whether I exist higher up and I'm plugged in here or if I'm just an entity in this simulation. But it's all fucking fake, man.

Knowing that, how can people be content living their life just making money, fucking, and having kids? How can you not want to find out all you can about our simulation -- what it is, who made it, what are its rules, etc?

In a way you are correct OP. EVERYTHING in this world is going to burn. Youre storing up earthly goods which in the end is just going to burn. Its useless.

Youre whole life youve been lied too. From the get go were told that our success in life will be measured by the job you have, the amount of goods you acquire, the amount of women you sleep with when in reality that does not lead to happiness... Otherwise hollywood would be the happiest people alive. And judging by the amount of vanerial diseases and suicides we know this isnt true.

The key to life and happiness OP is the opposite... Want to know what it is? Servanthood. You see your creator came to this earth not to be served but to serve. And He served you by dieing for you and paying the cost of your sins for you. His name is Jesus Christ. Im sure youve heard of Him.

Once you asked Jesus to save you and you accept His gift of salvation you are now a servant of Jesus Christ and this is where youll find true happiness and youll be storing up treasure in heaven that will not burn.

And to serve Christ means to serve others. A servant is not above His master and Jesus came to earth to serve. Thats where youll find your purpose. You cannot serve God and not serve people.

Once you receive Christ as your savior go on a mission trip and tell me that its not the most rewarding thing a person can do to go serve others. Its the exact opposite of what ive been told my whole life.

I make okay money- 6 figures a year, house, go on vacations but still leaves a void. Go serve others that cant even afford shoes, clean water, toilet and strangely enough hanging around them and serving them is where i find my joy and happiness. Strange paradox no?

Christ said whoever wishes to save His life will lose it and whoever wishes to lose His life for His sake and the gospel will save it... And im beginning to slowly understand this just now in my 30"s

You're probably right in some fashion or another.

Anyway, there's been some Mandela effect going on in my life over a couple of things that I don't want to get into too far. But it's caused me to think, recently,
For your sake, I'll disabuse you of tbe inaccurate beliefs.

1) It wad always Tuf_guy - but sometimes the t is lowercase it seems.

2) There wasn't a other av before this. This is the first I've ever had.

3) GSP said "'andle my riddum"

4) Yes, Dana has said inconsistent things.

I dont understand this concept. Do you mean that if I am holding a hammer it isn't really what I think it is? or do you mean it in a more radical sense as in I and hammer are not really there?
I think it's an allusion to something in one of the links posted earlier, the Brain in a Jar thought experiment. The idea is that if you feed the brain stimulus whether it's occurring in the real world or not, say swinging a hammer, to the brain, that is indistinguishable from a simulated swinging a hammer stimulus. The brain on its own takes in information and spits out results, essentially.

It's factually true. This is how a person recently manipulated a robot arm using only thought.

I don't have any formal education in philosophy, so I'm sure I'm not saying anything ground breaking, but here goes.

I agree with the above statement that in practical terms, if we have no way to know if what we perceive is real or not, you may as well live the life you want as though it were. But life isn't all about practicality. Here are some things I believe to be true but can't prove. Consciousness seems to be an emergent property of our brain. At some point in the evolutionary family tree, it wasn't required for survival. It is a composite of selected raw input coming from the more basic layer. To me, this strongly suggests existence is completely real because it doesn't require any consciousness to function. I'm borrowing from Steven Hawking's argument against any divine intervention in the current state of the Universe. He said, in a nutshell, that if God created the universe, he completed all his work before the big bag, because from that point forward, no further intervention was needed to get to the universe we see today. (I stand ready to be corrected if I have misrepresented this.)

At the same time, math tells us that according to the holographic principle, the information from a 5-dimensional space can be represented in a 4-d hologram. It's been suggested our universe is one such to account for things like the weakness of gravity in relation to the other fundamental forces. Unfortunately, it's rather impossible for a 4-d person to have any idea what it would be like to be a 5-dimensional being but if this is true, I exist as a 5-dimensional being somewhere. I could be getting this all wrong, but to me this is HUGE, if true. By definition, that 5th dimension would be outside space and time. It could allow ignoring the arrow of time.

Sadly, I think not. When consciousness ceases, you're left with a bag of cells that don't know they're dead yet. It's unfortunate, however, since I would like to live forever. That singularity idea is appealing but I think it's a long way off. In the event it were to become practicable, I wonder if you would eventually forget about your previous corporeal existence?

You do of course have two very different situations, that you personality are the only real consciousness and everything is simulated for you and that a much larger simulation is going on, maybe for the entire world of even the universe.

The first really seems to be next to impossible to actually prove, the second is I think more interesting in that we could potentially look for flaws or shortcuts. I can't remember the exact details(I think on a BBC Horizon show) but in the past I'v heard it said that a totally realistic simulation of the entire universe would actually take more energy to produce than the entire universe has hence certain shortcuts would need to be taken to create it.

The entire universe being simulated to me isn't really a very troubling thought at all, I mean being made up of a load of otherwise non conscious atoms or being made up of computer code doesn't really seem very different.

can you give me your dealer's number?

The idea is that somewhere in the universe over the last 13.5 billion years, a race advanced sufficiently to run simulations indistinguishable from reality and that since possibly millions of these simulations are running, the odds of you being in the one "root" reality are almost nil.

Why would the programmers write simulations for Justin Bieber or someone as evil as Yoko Ono, or Hillary Clinton? The whole "Matrix" idea is flawed and kind of dumb, imo.

They wouldn't write simulations for individuals, they would arise naturally from the simulation. There are some really smart people, smarter than you or I that believe this is a distinct possibility.

Maybe.

But I don't think it's that much of a stretch for anyone to consider that. Joe Rogan talks sometimes about infinite number of universes where basically his twin could be existing simultaneously. Not saying that's true, but I think people are considering things such as simulations being a reality. Like what the TS mentioned for instance.

In the infinite worlds theory Joe wouldn't have a twin, he would have infinite twins. Every possibility is taking place at the same time.

Back