Unsigned Heavyweights - Thread Four

Anyone know if Chris Barnett has any serious plans of ever going to 265 and making it to the UFC? Seems to have some talent and a lot of athleticism. But he's over 300 lbs, and carries a ton of fat.

Weird! I'll take Mokhnatkin though, he's a top prospect at 205 and that will likely carry over to whatever weight class he chooses to fight at.

Anyone know if Chris Barnett has any serious plans of ever going to 265 and making it to the UFC? Seems to have some talent and a lot of athleticism. But he's over 300 lbs, and carries a ton of fat.

He says he does, but he never does. Add that one to the same list as Ricardo Arona returning and Chuck having that look in his eyes.

Yosef Ali Mohammads fight, not that it says much more than the simple fact that he won in 6 seconds.

Yosef's losses were all kind of flukey. The IGF ring was super small and he couldn't use his movement and speed like he normally does, he needs a full sized cage or ring for his game to work really well. The IGF ring basically forces you to engage and just slug it out, and he got clipped after knocking down Rodrigues. His first loss he was just out wrestled, and barely at that. I'd still offer the guy a contract if I were the UFC, there's enough potential there to take the risk. Worst case he ends up like Josh Copeland and drops 2 and gets released, best case he could be a top 5 mainstay in a couple years.

Yosef's losses were all kind of flukey. The IGF ring was super small and he couldn't use his movement and speed like he normally does, he needs a full sized cage or ring for his game to work really well. The IGF ring basically forces you to engage and just slug it out, and he got clipped after knocking down Rodrigues. His first loss he was just out wrestled, and barely at that. I'd still offer the guy a contract if I were the UFC, there's enough potential there to take the risk. Worst case he ends up like Josh Copeland and drops 2 and gets released, best case he could be a top 5 mainstay in a couple years.
Yeah, I am really hoping that UFC does a event in Malmö with Latifi as main event. Both Yosef and Latifi are from Malmö and should be pretty big draws there so he might have a shot if that happens. And yeah I agree, he looked really frustrated by the IGF ring.

Hopefully he learned a lesson against Rodrigues tho, since as far as I know Rodrigues is mainly a striker when Yosef is a pretty good grappler if I am not misstaken with pretty decent takedowns. No need to slug it out if you don't have to.

Ion Cutelaba has signed with UFC and is dropping back to LHW to fight Misha Cirkunov. Bit of a shame they've matched him with another good prospect.

Ion Cutelaba has signed with UFC and is dropping back to LHW to fight Misha Cirkunov. Bit of a shame they've matched him with another good prospect.
Wow, that fight is going to be awesome. Either of them could end up becoming a top 5 guy or even get the belt.

Wow, that fight is going to be awesome. Either of them could end up becoming a top 5 guy or even get the belt.

Yeah. Seems strange that Misha is still only fighting debuting fighters though. This will be his third fight in the UFC, I'd have thought they would have given him someone with more octagon experience by now.

Just an odd note, the only fighter on all my lists that cuts to 265 now is Denis Smoldarev, and he's only about 270 before cutting. I think we can finally bury that "new breed of super athletes that cut from 300 pounds" prediction.

Anyone here have a lot of knowledge about amateur wrestling?

What are the odds that Makhov wins gold at the olympics this year? Or even medals? Or medals in both Greco and Freestyle?

He's got a chance, but i think he will come up short. He won Bronze at London 2012 and bronze at the World Championship last year in both Freestyle & Greco. Looks to me he will land another bronze.

I think Taha Akgul is the best HW freestyle wrestler at the moment, he will take some beating. Geno Petriashvili is the best 'prospect' at just 21 years old, he already has a couple of World bronze's and won the European Championship this year.

In Greco, Mijian Lopez is still the best even at 33 years old, and will probably win his 3rd straight Olympic gold. Riza Kayaalp probably most likely to upset Lopez. But would be surprised if Makhov beat either of those 2.

I would guess he bronzes at least one of them, maybe bronze in both is possible. Very much doubt he wins gold in either though.

Wow, apparently the UFC cut Jared Rosholt. I know he wasn't the most entertaining guy, but he was 6-2 in the organization and was in the top 15. Who do you guys think should pick him up?

Wow, apparently the UFC cut Jared Rosholt. I know he wasn't the most entertaining guy, but he was 6-2 in the organization and was in the top 15. Who do you guys think should pick him up?

That's really stupid.
Bellator and WSOF should kill for him, guy is a legit top 15

damn, imagine Rosholt vs Tony Johnson, would be fireworks! Lol

I see Rosholt going to WSOF. If belltor passed on okami shields and fitch then they will pass on Rosholt too.

Minakov said he want challenges though and Rosholt would definitely be one of his most difficult fights he can get outside ufc.

Yea it sucks theyre matched up so early(there's like 3 legit lhw prospects, these two and Anderson) but the good thing about mma is a loss isn't a huge setback.

I expect both these guys to be elite lhws

Back