Update: Heavyweight LeRoy Johnson undergoes emergency surgery after scary KO at PFL 7

TCE

"That's fucking illegal"
Pink Belt
Reaction score
I put it here because everyone including mods/admins wanted an update on his status from PFL.

Please move if you feel it shouldn't be here altogether or when you feel enough time has passed.

The regular season finale of the Professional Fighters League featured a series of incredibly violent finishes, including on the opening fight of the preliminary card between heavyweights Muhammed De’Reese and LeRoy Johnson.

Inside of 2 1⁄2 minutes, De’Reese unleashed a brutal knee to Johnson’s head, causing the 38-year-old to faceplant into unconsciousness. Video of the KO can be seen below.

Johnson (8-3) remained on the ground for several minutes before being transported to a local hospital. According to his manager, Daniel Rubenstein, Johnson needed two surgeries, and one of them was for a slipped vertebrae.

For those wondering about LeRoy Johnson, here’s the update I have. had emergency surgery for a vertebrae that slipped out of place & a 2nd surgery for high blood pressure issues. Has feeling in arms and legs. PFL flying his fiancé to Philly to be with him. Thats all I know now

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/8/...on-undergoes-emergency-surgery-scary-ko-pfl-7

My best wishes go out to him and his family. I hope for a speedy recovery.

@jei @Kung Fu Tze

Last edited:
Damn, best of luck on his recovery, these warriors killing themselves out there for our entertainment, I hope PFL covers his medical costs.

Why would you ever fight for a living?
Enjoy watching it, never in a million years would I do it.

2 years out of the Cage and put against a killer. DeReese was operating on another level.

Hope he has a full recovery, neck injuries are very serious.

MedicalValidJellyfish-small.gif

Some people enjoy it, others are good at it, others make a lot of money to do it. I do my job because the benefits are really good. There's a million reasons people do jobs.

Appreciate the update.

Reminded me of wandys knees on rampage.. Brutal. Hooe he makes a full recovery.

Some of us want to die on the battlefield bro. Sakuraba wanted to die in the ring. His pride as a fighter kept him coming back and his samurai spirit had him longing to die in battle.

Some people enjoy it, others are good at it, others make a lot of money to do it. I do my job because the benefits are really good. There's a million reasons people do jobs.
Being good at it doesn't really matter. A lot of those guys have nothing else and that's why they do it. There's tons of guys that are really good at it but see the cost of a fighting career as way too much. A really high percentage of these guys will have a sad life when they're older because of injuries and brain trauma. Depression, substance abuse, dementia and the list goes on.

But at the same time, they're chasing a feeling that they can only get in fighting. Such a great game but it comes with a cost.

So please, don't compare an everyday normal job to fighting for a living.

Here's the thing... you don't have a surgery for blood pressure issues... unless it's intracranial.

ie) This dude may be in a life or death situation. Hope for the best, but that does NOT sound good at all.

Back