Update: "Teachers' Spring Continues" - Add AZ to the List with NC to Follow?

luckyshot

Nazi Punks Fuck Off
Platinum Member
Reaction score
According to the National Education Association, a group representing public school teachers nationwide, the average teacher salary in the United States decreased by four percent from 2008‒09 to 2017‒18, after inflation adjustment.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...akers-to-find-money-for-schools-idUSKBN1I23J8

Union leaders have reached a deal with the governor.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/27/us/west-virginia-teachers-strike/index.html

But these heroes are not being bought off easily. Holding the line until the fucking state senate passes the bill AND their healthcare gets fixed!
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/01/us/west-virginia-teachers-strike/index.html
"The No. 1 thing was we needed a permanent fix to PEIA," Lori Hausvater, a math and special education teacher at Lincoln High School in Shinnston, told CNN. "It wasn't all about the money. It was about the insurance fix."

The governor said the issue of funding insurance would be addressed by a task force created by the union deal.

"It is important that everyone understand that identifying all of the issues in our health care program and finding a solution takes time," Justice said in a letter to all state employees. "A cure won't come in 30 minutes, but I can promise you this task force will begin its work immediately."

Still, teachers and education personnel demanding a fix to their health insurance crowded in the state Capitol on Wednesday and sang, "We're not gonna take it."

Good on 'em!

This is a reminder of the power labor has when people stand up and stand together.

MANY more people need to start remembering this.

28577477_1798951126802973_5402951445400852261_n.jpg

Update:
Oklahoma teachers rallied at the state Capitol Tuesday [April 10] on the seventh day of their walkout as classes remained canceled in the state's largest school districts.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Oklahoma teachers are paid almost $20,000 less than the national average salary for teachers.

Fallin recently approved a $6,100 pay raise for teachers, but Oklahoma teachers said this is not enough. They are requesting a $10,000 pay raise over three years.

A group of teachers marched over 100 miles from Tulsa to Oklahoma City, where the state capitol is. They are asking the Oklahoma Legislature to provide $50 million more in funding and to repeal a capital gains tax exemption. They are also asking Gov. Mary Fallin to veto a lodging tax repeal bill, which would eliminate $42 million in funding, according to the Oklahoma Education Association, the state’s largest union.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/oklahoma-teachers-rally-capitol-walkout-enters-7th-day/story?id=54374538

Update:
On Wednesday, Arizona teachers are staging a statewide "walk-in," demanding a boost in pay and more funding for schools overall.

These "walk-ins" are not yet "walk-outs," though organizers have indicated that could be looming possibility. For now, teachers and supporters "walk-in" by coming together in front of schools before class to protest low pay and school funding shortfalls. The group then walks into school together in a show of unity.

The social-media based movement grew quickly last month. Arizona teachers are among the lowest paid in the country, according to federal data. Average salaries last year were actually $8,000-$9,000 less than 1990 salaries, when adjusted for inflation.

Arizona teachers are demanding a 20 percent raise across the board.

Update: Huge Win— AZ Teachers Get 20% Raise over 3 years with just the threat of a strike.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...s-to-20-percent-raise-for-protesting-teachers

Last edited:
I still fucking hate my union. Goddamn Teamsters.

Are they going to pay for their training to carry a concealed weapon to?

Or does that come out of their checks..?

When government employees strike for more money it isn't really good for labor, specifically the hardworking people who's taxes pay for the government employees.

I don't get their strike. They went into teaching - they knew the pay would suck, but they'd only work 9 months a year. And they make more than the median income for the state.

They also get to work where they live in a state that has an enormous amount of the populous traveling across state lines to find a job.

Hey, but more power to them.

I still fucking hate my union. Goddamn Teamsters.
Have you addressed your issues with your union local? A union is only as effective as its membership allows it to be.

Not all heroes wear capes...

Great news!

Yet you support the party that has killed and keeps killing unions? That is about to level public unions altogether in an upcoming Supreme Court case?

I don't get their strike. They went into teaching - they knew the pay would suck, but they'd only work 9 months a year. And they make more than the median income for the state.

They also get to work where they live in a state that has an enormous amount of the populous traveling across state lines to find a job.

Hey, but more power to them.

so cause others work under shitty conditions so should the teachers?
ya fuck teachers I guess, its not like their jobs are important or anything - might as well cut paychecks of doctors and nurses, those freeloading fuckers
church is all you need /s

The delegates voted 99/1 in support, the senate refused to vote on the issue either Thursday or to even meet on Friday. One of the senate, Ryan ferns was arrested for dui, but should have been charged with aggravated dui for being three times the limit. He was still elected and then became a senator. He won the delegate election after his dui because his competition was shawn fluharty, who is a punk ass lawyer and now the delegate. I have met both of these goofs. Ferns came from a rich ass family, and I will give fluharty credit, he came from a fucked up family where his dad killed his mom, then set his house on fire and stayed inside. This was while he was still in high school, or maybe just entering college. I knew his brother, Nate, as well. Ferns is Definitely getting voted out in the fall, or that is the plan, but his family will pull every string available. I am so sick of this fucking golden boy, he is an example of having money and a powerful family that buys favors.

Anyway, back to the teachers...

I drive by and honk support for them, but finding someone to watch my kids is becoming increasingly difficult. My wife is a college professor and all of the other professors are taking their kids to school and actually teaching them. I am actually going up today to teach an hour on police officers and safety with firearms and other dangers for children. Everyone is pitching in to make sure our kids are busy and still learning.

The state of wv pays everyone too little, save the lawyer who make a killing. There are more lawyers here than anything else because it is a legal sbithole. For the past six years, health insurance cost have gone up every year. If you get a raise, of say 1 or 2%, that is exactly how much the health care cost increase. We used to have three choices, now we only have one plan to choose. The teachers at episodes because of the same thing-health Insurance cost keep going up while pay stays the same. With the second lowest wage for teachers in the country, they need to do something to stop the exodus of teachers and other professionals in the state. Other states refer to a mass exodus as a West Virginia exit! That is saying something. Give the teachers a five percent raise and stop jacking up healthcare.

I don’t know if it is the insurance companies, or Obamacare-that is the reason I was given by my employer several years ago.

Great song, even better message. TBH no politician should have a pay rise above the smallest pay rise of their electorate. If a working group gets 0 that's what every politician should get.

Australia has some of the best conditions and pay in the world but we are forgetting how it came about. Gradually its being eroded by complacency, apathy, stupidity and our governments love affair with the US system. If you listen to politicians we are all over paid and non competitive yet you could pay us $7 per hour and we still couldn't compete with China, Bangladesh etc. and they still get their pay rises. Fuck them, one thing the US could learn from Australia is our healthy distain for 99.9% of all politicians.

so cause others work under shitty conditions so should the teachers?
ya fuck teachers I guess, its not like their jobs are important or anything - might as well cut paychecks of doctors and nurses, those freeloading fuckers
church is all you need /s

1- Let's start with the fact that work stoppages by public unions is illegal in WV. It's in the contract they sign.

2- Teachers don't work under shitty conditions, unless you count dealing with unruly teens - again part of the job they signed up for.

3-Break teacher pay down by days worked and you'll find that teachers are more than well compensated - again in a field they signed up for.

4-You might also find out that WV is a state that is ranked 42 for it's fiscal condition - they started the year projecting an 11m budget shortfall before they agreed on this 5% raise - which is why the state senate said they didn't know if they could pay for it.

5-Have you ever asked your boss for a raise at a time the company was loosing money? I didn't think so. The teachers went on strike right after they announced a 2% raise starting in July. Hey, but their money comes from tax payers so it's ok right? Pfft.

6- I pointed it out once, but median household income for the state is 42k (that's 2 workers in most cases), their teachers make more than that and work 3 months less per year than the people paying for their salary.

Again, more power to them, but don't expect me to think it's a noble strike.

Public sector unions should not be allowed to strike.

In many cases, the citizenry is compelled by law to use the "services" that the public sector Union "provides".

If public sector unions think that they will continue to get away with throwing temper tantrums for more money while providing the public with less and less actual service, then the upcoming Supreme Court decision should come as no surprise to anyone.

Back