Update: "Teachers' Spring Continues" - Add AZ to the List with NC to Follow?

Do nurses do a lot of work at home? All teachers that I know do a few hours each night. Would you be cool with teachers only working a straight 40 even if that had negative consequences for the education system such as inability to spend one-on-one time with students because that time must be spent grading papers and completing necessary paperwork?

They get a quarter of the year off. And their work is much easier.

And Dropkick Murphys suck.

So who works the 7th day? If everyone is working 36 hrs a week then no one is working Sunday.

You need to staff 28 shifts. Assuming 10 nurses per shift you need 280/nurseshifts. Assuming 6 shifts per nurse you need 47 nurses.

I thought most RN's had a 4-year degree. I can't speak for WV, but I just texted my SIL who teaches middle school in MD and she said that over 80% of the teachers in her school have Masters Degrees or are working on them.

I'm not sure how many RN have a MSN. But most teachers get their masters after they start teaching because of continuing education requirements. We've been listing the avg salaries for the teachers so I'd assume the range is like 30-60k since the avg is 45.

There isn’t a “set” rotation, like with my job (where there are 3-48 hour shifts, your schedule never changing), or like yours. There are 28 available 12 hour independent shifts, you either sign up or are assigned any 6 of them. Hospitals have set minimum staffing for each shift. There aren’t any “off” days, the system is built on having enough individuals to maintain at least minimum staffing for all shifts. I’m not sure if I am doing a good job explaining it. It seems like you are thinking of shift work where there are set crews, hospitals are more a free for all.

I guess I'm saying that if you are scheduled M,T,W and Joe Th, F, S then someone has to be there Sun which makes 48 hrs for someone.

It sounds as if you're saying either someone volunteers for the extra day or it is assigned as OT to someone.

I'm not sure how many RN have a MSN. But most teachers get their masters after they start teaching because of continuing education requirements. We've been listing the avg salaries for the teachers so I'd assume the range is like 30-60k since the avg is 45.

Fair enough.

Do nurses do a lot of work at home? All teachers that I know do a few hours each night. Would you be cool with teachers only working a straight 40 even if that had negative consequences for the education system such as inability to spend one-on-one time with students because that time must be spent grading papers and completing necessary paperwork?

I figured in work from home and the extra weeks before and after the school year when we came to the 1600-1700 hrs per year of work.

And in my area we even give teachers a "planning period" during the day to get most of that done.

I guess I'm saying that if you are scheduled M,T,W and Joe Th, F, S then someone has to be there Sun which makes 48 hrs for someone.

It sounds as if you're saying either someone volunteers for the extra day or it is assigned as OT to someone.

Woodguy’s explanation hopefully makes sense to you. I can’t explain it any better than he did.

Someone has to be there but it doesn't have to be you or Joe. Also, the same nurses don't work together. Imagine being able to staff any 6 people from a much larger pool.

I'll try to answer your questions using CT as a reference. So in order:

They'll borrow or rely on overly rosy investment return calculations.
Same answer or simply ignore the liabilities until they become unimaginably large.
Buy insurance as a large group, often intermingled with other town/city offices or departments.

ahoy phipps66,

that's not whats going on, though, lol.

the raise was paid for by cutting medical services to the poor and elderly. the legislature just redirected money away from them folks to the teachers.

win/win (i think?)

no taxes were raised and no borrowing was done.

- IGIT

Someone has to be there but it doesn't have to be you or Joe. Also, the same nurses don't work together. Imagine being able to staff any 6 people from a much larger pool.

ok, I get it now. That appears to have been for 2 weeks so we'd run that with 40 nurses working 84 hours. You're saying 47 nurses working 72 hours on any of the days available.

ahoy phipps66,

the raise was paid for by cutting medical services to the poor and elderly. the legislature just redirected money away from them folks to the teachers.

win/win (i think?)

- IGIT

Well, except the elderly had already paid taxes their whole working life and the poor are going to have smaller issues turn into chronic issues that will ultimately cost more to treat, but other than that yes it's a win/win.

ahoy phipps66,

win/win (i think?)

- IGIT
I see what you're saying. The onus of where to redirect from is on the legislators. It's not the fault of the teachers that's where the money came from. I know if I was a teacher in WV I would feel zero guilt over those decisions. Things of that nature happen all the time. I can point to one recent time my taxes were raised and rich folks and corporations reaped the benefits. I doubt they feel guilty or in any responsible.

Well, except the elderly had already paid taxes their whole working life and the poor are going to have smaller issues turn into chronic issues that will ultimately cost more to treat, but other than that yes it's a win/win.

hi there PainIsLife,

but that's not quite right. the cuts will be in Medicaid - which hits low income people right into the nuts. those low income folks probably have paid a minimum in taxes (both state and federal) their entire lives.

some of the elderly have been poor all their lives too, you know? they're not the ones supporting the system - the system was built to help people like them.

in either case, my point was that this is a result that should make fiscal conservatives happy. no taxes were raised, and the "takers" got their hands slapped away.

- IGIT

Back